still got a buzzing/droning!

Morning all,

I have an issue with my Octavia 56 plate, 1.9Tdi 4x4, it produces a droning/buzzing noise on steering left and also when going over dips in the road surface.

It has been in the garage for a few replacement parts so far (not necessarily related to the noise).

Parts changed so far:-

x4  brake calipers

x4 pad sets

x4 brake discs

x4 drop links

x2 rear ARB bushes

x1 front drivers side wheel bearing

x2 front drive shafts

x4 tyres (Goodyear Ultragrip 8)

The next step is to do a Hunter 4 wheel alignment (Saturday)

I still have the annoying drone, this will happen even when slightly turning left,

Most predominant when cornering downhill and to the left, the noise doesn't change when i dip the clutch. 

Both the mechanic (who has worked on my cars for years and is a knowledgeable guy) and myself are scratching our heads at this one.

Has anyone got any idea's???

Many thanks.

@planehazza,

thanks for the reply, yes we thought of the wheel bearing initially so that was changed, we then found that both CV boots were somewhat split so with the history of the droning thought it would be wise just to change them. I went for the full drive shafts rather than just the boots as we thought it might have been the CV on its way out and with the mileage i cover the other side wouldn't be far behind.

unfortunately still the drone!!

4 new boots too but due to the drive shafts being changed i'm waiting to do the Hunter this weekend.

Not holding out much hope though.

Any other thoughts?

Advice/comments welcome!!

@planehazza,

thanks for the reply, yes we thought of the wheel bearing initially so that was changed, we then found that both CV boots were somewhat split so with the history of the droning thought it would be wise just to change them. I went for the full drive shafts rather than just the boots as we thought it might have been the CV on its way out and with the mileage i cover the other side wouldn't be far behind.

unfortunately still the drone!!

4 new boots too but due to the drive shafts being changed i'm waiting to do the Hunter this weekend.

Not holding out much hope though.

Any other thoughts?

Advice/comments welcome!!

Sorry serves me for skim reading the list.  I didn't see you'd already replaced those parts. You may find that the alignment is just very out of whack from all the work. I'm keen to hear if it fixes it.

• Like 1

If you have front mudflaps I'd check they are not touching the ground on corners'  Also I ve seen a lot of undertrays flapping or hanging down and touching  the road lately

Edited by erindad

A bit of an epic problem. Droning/buzzing - from that description, could it be air vibrating something like a plastic cover, perhaps becoming loose enough to vibrate when turning or going over bumps? Can't think of anything else I'm afraid. Hope you get it fixed.

Has your mechanic had the car up on a lift and inspected all the wheel bearings? Only ask as sometimes it's notoriously hard to pinpoint the actual faulty bearing without doing so

On a previous vehicle I had the same as you, turning left produced the noise and it clearly came from the front RHS corner, wheel bearing self-diagnosed, part ordered

Had it up on the lift and it was actually the rear RHS bearing that was faulty, replacement cured the noise

@hrvrs

Actually that's a good point, I've not asked him to check the rear bearings out.

All of the bearings were changed not that long ago but i do a lot of miles so your suggestion may be a very fair and valid one!!!

Will get it back into the garage, they'll be oh so happy to see me again!! Ker-bloody-ching!!!

Needs a new cam belt anyway. Bank manager now having a heart attack!!!

• 3 months later...