What are the latest views on which 225/45 R18s to fit?

Uniroyal :)

Just bought set of 18" alloys :)

Needs to be refurbished first - then 225/40/18 Uniroyal RainSport 3 :)

Or even 245/35/18 ;) if some extra cash materialises ;)

Edited by jafo

Happy with the Hankook H452 225/40/18 we have on our car. 20,000 miles+ on the rears (unsure on the fronts as they are new, replacing some terrible Falken ZE912). 

Here in NZ the Hankooks have the market sewn up for 'middle of the road' tyres, half the price of any 'European' brands.

Since there are quite a few people who are using 225/50R17 (instead of the standard 225/45R17) without issues, 225/45R18 should also be possible (instead of 225/40R18).

Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance all round just now.  No rim protection, though, and her indoors is gradually trashing the rims.  Not keen to revert to Michelins, so any ideas very welcome.

Why aren't you keen on Michelin's? The Sport Contact 5's on my Thermisto's will need replacing very soon...I've been looking at Pilot Sport 4's or F1 Aysmmetric 3's as the likeliest options.

Edited by Wildmoose

The rim protection on my new Goodyear F1AS2s should defeat even the Mayoress.  Reasonably cheap, too, at £86 each.  Thanks for the tip.  FWIW, the Efficient Grip Performance had lost grip well before the tyres were down to the legal limit (3 to 4 mm remaining), making them an unexpectedly expensive choice.

Edited by Mayor of Newark