skoda citigo can't get reverse

stefanjo

There's no fobbing off involved.

That dealer would be us, more specifically ME who was given the task of finding an issue with this car.

Job card: "car will not select reverse, other gears ok"

AA note: "unable to select reverse gear, driven to dealer"

Finds car in car park, starts it up, flawlessly selects reverse gear, reverses car out of the spot it was parked in then attempted to select reverse repeatedly, again without an issue.

I then checked the linkages, checked the clutch hydraulic system for air then carried out a road test where the car performed without flaw.

I checked for any tech data and found a corresponding bulletin with these symptoms.

I've now been using the car for a week. Once again without an issue.

And sadly, a vast majority of AA roadside technicians are only capable of towing a car to the nearest garage.

When the RAC was in control of skoda assist they had dedicated VAG techs who knew their stuff, now any AA MAN can turn up and claim to be skoda assist.

The AA tech we used to have has moved patch, he fixed or diagnosed nearly every skoda he was called out to. We saw him 5 times in 12 months, this new AA man has dropped off 3 cars in 3 weeks all with simplistic faults that shouldn't really have warranted a recovery. This guy is apparently an "expert" and we're just oil and filter spinners I suppose.

My Citigo occasionally baulks going into reverse, but a quick release and re press of the clutch in neutral to turn the box always sorts it straight away. No problem for me, nor my students, as said earlier, just part of the process of having non synchronised reverse.

Is always a hassle when a fault cannot be reproduced, but when two people can spend an hour trying to get a car into reverse, something must be wrong somewhere? Trouble is, if you can't reproduce the fault, I guess you have only the customer's account to present for a warranty claim. Rock and hard place I suppose, but not great for the customer.

Edited by Chris GB
  • Like 1

Eloquently put James.

Cheers pal, Having worked in the most unappreciated trade on earth longer than myself I'm sure you can understand the not very nice feeling you get when people happily bash you without knowing the facts and giving their often unqualified opinions on issues that you deal with and often rectify for a living and have done for over a decade.

Alas working in the dealer environment is where I've chosen to spend the rest of my career and I can only convey my experience by representing RRG Skoda through my comments and the help and advice I give on here.

It's only my own time I'm taking up doing it, it's not like I have a family or social life or out...

Edited by James@RRGRochdale
  • Like 3

Maybe it's characteristic of the OP and AA man to be inept at finding reverse gear on Citigo's?

Skoda must do a course on finding reverse gear on Citigo's for main dealerships.

By the way James.you sound like and exceptional guy so nothing personal.

Edited by RickW

My Citigo occasionally baulks going into reverse, but a quick release and re press of the clutch in neutral to turn the box always sorts it straight away. No problem for me, nor my students, as said earlier, just part of the process of having non synchronised reverse.

Is always a hassle when a fault cannot be reproduced, but when two people can spend an hour trying to get a car into reverse, something must be wrong somewhere? Trouble is, if you can't reproduce the fault, I guess you have only the customer's account to present for a warranty claim. Rock and hard place I suppose, but not great for the customer.

intermittent faults are a thorn in every technicians side but when you can't replicate an issue or find a fault when checking the basics or after several people have tested the car over a week but you can find the answer to the concern as presented by the manufacturer in the form of a tech bulletin then there's no justification to move forward, in fact it becomes counter productive.

You replace a part or carry out a repair only to end up in exactly the same place?

Maybe it's characteristic of the OP and AA man to be inept at finding reverse gear on Citigo's?

Skoda must do a course on finding reverse gear on Citigo's for main dealerships.

By the way James.you sound like and exceptional guy so nothing personal.

I'm a bit of a nob but I take my job very seriously ;)

intermittent faults are a thorn in every technicians side but when you can't replicate an issue or find a fault when checking the basics or after several people have tested the car over a week but you can find the answer to the concern as presented by the manufacturer in the form of a tech bulletin then there's no justification to move forward, in fact it becomes counter productive.

You replace a part or carry out a repair only to end up in exactly the same place?

Hmmm... So does the manufacturer tech bulletin say that the car may not go into reverse for a prolonged period, or does it say that the selection of reverse may occasionally baulk? I'm sure no one would deem a car that can not be made to reverse for an hour to be fit for purpose? My suggestion to the customer would be take the car back, but if the situation recurs in working hours, get the dealer to come to the vehicle where and when the problem is occurring. This is something we used to do with intermittent fails on customer vehicles (as a component supplier) for some obscure faults.

The unfortunate and weak link in the chain was that rather than us going checking the fault at the time - the AA attended, confirmed the symptom but by the time we received the car the issue had righted itself.

The technical info basically says (simple, non technical BS interpretation)

- This is the way they are

- Make sure the car is completely stationary

- Utilise the "double clutch" technique

- Manipulation of the gear lever may be required

- repairs/replacements are not justified

If the choice was mine I'd open it up for inspection then repair or replace if necessary, you get decent time for it and earn decent money for the company. Unfortunately our hands are tied unless we can provide concrete evidence that there is a fault which falls outside of the very vague criteria set within the bulletin. We're no stranges to going beyond necessary means and going the extra mile for skoda customers, we seem to be the only dealer within a 50 mile radius that's willing to deal with 1.4tsi oil consumption issues and subsiquently replace engines for example.

compared to that a box strip and or replacement is a walk in the park.

Edited by James@RRGRochdale

Not only that, once you have replaced a part you have confirmed there is a fault. If later it turns out that's how they are you can't use it as a justification.

Also if for example the dealer changes a gearbox for arguments sake (generally they can't, they have to be stripped and rebuilt unless major failure). Skoda are aware of the nature of the complaint so they have the gearbox back and inspect it. Find nothing wrong so they stick it in a car and test it, still nothing wrong. That gearbox and it's associated labour gets billed back to the dealer (they will also probably look at other similar claims more in depth too). If your dealer happens to be like the one I left the dealer will then recoup part of the cost from the technician's wage. I could have bonus stopped for the month and up to £150 deducted for a miss diagnosis.

• Like 1

Surely the AA guy and the OP have previous experience of a modern vehicle though? If the AA man was trying for a good time (you'd think hes driven a car before) and it wouldnt go in, then something may not be right.

A car sold with an 'occassional reverse gear, if you're lucky' might be frustrating to some, and it being 'cheap' certainly doesnt cut it.

I appreciate the dealer would need to see the problem themselves though.

Maybe you'll be seeing this car delivered back to you sooner than you think, James?

Hopefully next time the issue will he replicated to you.

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Try driving the early type Citigo at speed and think you are in your 6 speed car but that is another story.

That should take the edges off the reverse gear cog or drop the box on the floor :(

The longest its taken me to get reverse in swmbo's car was a couple of minutes but it went in eventually. At the time you do start to wonder is this normal as it had been sat in the garage for a week and just wouldn't go but a gentle rocking in 1st got it eventually.

Think it depends where the gearbox internals ended up.

• Like 1

By the way, adjusting shift caples is pretty easy task. I've done it for Octavia II, but for Citigo it's even easier. Just saying as it should be the first thing to do if there is problems with gears.

By the way, adjusting shift caples is pretty easy task. I've done it for Octavia II, but for Citigo it's even easier. Just saying as it should be the first thing to do if there is problems with gears.

I think a senior Skoda technician has probably got that one covered.

• 5 years later...

Seven years on…… are owners still experiencing this “problem”.

Having just bought a Citigo for each of us, I sure am going to have a problem teaching the wife what to do to circumvent the problem.

or, has nothing been said over the last 7 years because everyone knows how to sort it.?