Dashcam hardwire

Will put a pic up this evening when I get in, but it's nothing exciting - just your normal sat-nav style suction cup mount with the nav-specific coupling attached via a ball joint to allow for exact positioning.

As with the vast majority of suction cups it doesn't do well in extreme heat or if the window develops internal condensation (as wel all know, a common problem with the Rapid).

After more than six months of attaching my dashcam to the windshield (with 3M tape) I have to say I'm amazed that it has stayed put so long, given the usually high temperatures (35+) after leaving the car under the sun.

Now, for the suction cup, I usually apply a thin layer of baby oil on it before mounting it, which I believe fills minor gaps and prevents air to enter inside thus providing better hold.

• Like 1

This is probably the worst place to ask this question (might ask in the Dashcam thread in the octy section)

I've just fitted a sunscreen to my rear window, and it totally blocks my rear camera (yer, obvious now!). Looking at the back of the car to see any options I notice that the light clusters both have clear sections - and two revercing lights.

Is there any practical/legal issue with sticking the rear camera in one of the light clusters?

Edited by Sam@

Some more pics of the install and of the suction mount.

b823a41506424e5da71c1bb10543e0f6.jpg

fa07f073a34eb7717e2d3db3d4b86eb1.jpg

d9618271998a61cd8f9329b05e4e4418.jpg

e261b7775f8dba2ed3b64c9c236c3612.jpg

8722c8f70b778505a147e39abe052545.jpg

2eae0cab8cf1dc108bc330477df9978a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

Will take some shots of the cameras in place - as the rear camera cable at the end is a bit of a compromise (same issue of having no trim to go in). Couldn't get any shots that weren't just reflections when I did it. 

I just ordered the Thinkware F750 Dual from the RAC (got a £33 discount being a member) Can you post a picture of Both front and rear cameras in position as I'm (mainly) wondering how and where I'm gonna position the Rear camera in my Fabby Greenline Estate!!!

Cheers

Sim.

Edited by Simoneale1973

• 1 month later...

750 fitted front and rear in my Fabby Greenline Estate... had to loose about 4 foot of cable for the rear camera in the headlining B)

managed to get it set up using a crappy old 10" hanspree tablet (everything else I own is Windows!) really happy with the install, okay the front camera is a little off centre, my wife didn't realise what bit of the camera I wanted central... but hey you'd never know!

might get some photos and video up soon.

750 fitted front and rear in my Fabby Greenline Estate... had to loose about 4 foot of cable for the rear camera in the headlining B)

managed to get it set up using a crappy old 10" hanspree tablet (everything else I own is Windows!) really happy with the install, okay the front camera is a little off centre, my wife didn't realise what bit of the camera I wanted central... but hey you'd never know!

might get some photos and video up soon.

Glad it went in well - sorry, only just saw your older post too...

Mine is off centre too, went for discrete over being centred

Managed to fit the Rear Camera upside down!!! :dull:

What are the best replacement 3M pads to get! Amazon has loads and I want to get the correct ones for Front (Just in case) and rear as I've had to butcher the spare to re-fit the rear camera!!

• 3 years later...

Sorry to awaken a very old topic!

Having now been witness to two serious crashes in the last twelve months, I've bought a dashcam (A Viofo A129 dual cam) for my Rapid Spaceback and I'll be installing it soon. The guides and information here has been really valuable, however...I've got questions.

I've not yet poked around too much, but I gather that the fuse box is under the steering wheel? So I'll be taking the cables up the driver side A pillar and across. I don't care for the parking mode (I live on a fairly busy road, it'll be activating all the time) so I guess fuse 26, rear window wiper would be a good switched option.

I think I have side airbags, which seem to deploy from the trim beneath the glass panoramic roof. Would it be a better idea to try and take the cable low, across the door sills and up from the boot? It seems like there aren't many Spaceback owners that have done this...! I guess I just have a poke around and see where I can get cable to. Viofo thoughtfully included a plastic trim removal tool in the box, so I won't be scratching anything up at least.

I'm a bit wary of the rear cable routing - I've heard of people having lots of issues with DAB signal because the aerials are in the rear light quarters  (or something) although top tips are take the cable down the driver side AND make sure the slack is up at the front of the vehicle and not wound around in the rear trim. Any other tips?

I feel like a bit of a novice with this!

• 3 years later...

Did anyone have trouble trying to find a fuse that provided power?

I have a 2018 SEAT Toledo Xcellence (nee Rapid saloon) but I cannot for the life of me find a combo that illuminates the power supply on the Nextbase hardwire kit. Plus it has managed to throw a code and my airbag warning light is now on (as I had misread the fuse layout guide and used that fuse). Which I will now have to wait for my mechanic to get in touch for regarding deleting the code and hope the car turns happy once more.

Going to have one last try before I throw an epic paddy!

worst of it is, I spent 2 hours trying to locate a suitable supply on my SEAT, whereas it took all of 5minutes to wire up my wife’s Ford Galaxy, with the same pieces of kit.

I'll find out which fuse point I used and let you know. Got a Toledo too with the Nextbase hardwire kit although mine is the 2014 toledo.

Edit...

Attached pic of position of my dash cam hardwired position. As shown in the pic position 11 remembering now  I used the door mirror control fuse to piggy back to. Perfect on and off with ignition, been installed like this for 3 years.👍

IMG_20221221_101315849.jpg

On 21/12/2022 at 10:44, MickA said:

I'll find out which fuse point I used and let you know. Got a Toledo too with the Nextbase hardwire kit although mine is the 2014 toledo.

Edit...

Attached pic of position of my dash cam hardwired position. As shown in the pic position 11 remembering now  I used the door mirror control fuse to piggy back to. Perfect on and off with ignition, been installed like this for 3 years.👍

IMG_20221221_101315849.jpg

Fab, thank you.

I managed it in the end, into the the rear passenger window fuse. There are some similarities between the fuse boxes, but the 2018 version has three different types of fuse / relays.

• Thanks 1