Any paramedics or First responders?

Jrjg

Thinking of a bit of a change of career.

At 23 I feel it is time I start looking at what I want to be doing in the long run. I am content and comfortable both in workload and financially in my current job, a gardener/ground keeper, but it is not challenging. There are also no real prospects in it. Basically I don't want to be mowing lawns, trimming topiary and weeding flower beds much longer. Hence why I am looking at other options.

I have always found enjoyment and satisfaction in helping people. Whether that is helping an old lady with her ten shopping bags to the bus stop, giving a homeless bloke some lunch, giving someone who has killed their battery a jump start at the side of the road or helping a woman with her pram etc, I get a kick out of it. So why not get paid for it?

Which is why I am thinking along the emergency service route. Unfortunately the armed forces aren't possible as I have an allergy requiring an Epipen so have already been refused from the Marines (that was plan A a few years ago).

I have read into being a paramedic a little. It seems there are two main points of 'access'. That is either the university and degree path, or a 'learn whilst you earn' sort of scheme. I would much prefer the latter. Previous experience is preferred which would mean getting as many hours with the St John's Ambulance or The Red Cross as possible, voluntarily of course. The training provided by St John's Ambulance would be priceless regardless of going onto a full time job in the field. I also would consider becoming a first responder to gain experience and be able to gain insight into the field, therefore giving myself an idea as to if I am suited.

I definitely wouldn't rule out the fire service either. I like to think I am quite fit, attending circuit training, Jujitsu training and running every week, so the fire brigade fitness requirements would be a great goal to reach and aim for.

A paid equivalent of the Mountain Rescue would be a spectacular career in my mind, however I doubt there is such thing!

I was just wondering if there are any members of the forum in the medical/emergency services field that would care to give their advice/ experiences.

JRJG

Sharkrider is/was a paramedic/ambulance driver/ first responder chappie, give him a pm, I am sure he will answer your questions, he is an agreeable and helpful chap.

• Like 1

Tough job. But then if you were considering the marines...

Mate of mine tried and failed to get in to be a paramedic. He failed the maths test. You needed to be quite good at basic maths for calculating drug doses etc. He went on to qualify as a midwife. Last I heard he was working in Australia.

sounds like a good plan! I always wanted to be a fire-fighter but unfortunately the brigades in my area very rarely recruit. In my early 20's I applied for a vacancy at Wiltshire (along with about a 1000 others) but was unsuccessful! You could look at being a retained fire-fighter if you live close enough to a station, it's supposed to be a good way in.

Contact your local Mountain Rescue and ask to go and have a chat with them, REC (Rescue and Emergency Care) is a great step toward the career your looking for. Plus you are more likely to gain experience dealing with the more complex end of injuries rather than dehydration and sprained ankles at the St Johns events ;) 

No longer, Mr Sharkrider now works for the police.

I think they let him go and then they recapture him. lock him up again then let him go, he then runs off so they have to recapture him and lock him up agaim

It's a never ending circle...........................

• Like 1

Someone else on this forum to ask is Llanigraham, he was a member of Saint John's Ambulance for many years and a very fine chap too! Although he may be a little preoccupied at the moment with the acquisition of two automobiles......

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Edited by mattlad

Contact your local Mountain Rescue and ask to go and have a chat with them, REC (Rescue and Emergency Care) is a great step toward the career your looking for. Plus you are more likely to gain experience dealing with the more complex end of injuries rather than dehydration and sprained ankles at the St Johns events ;)

I dealt with PLENTY of more serious injuries in my time with the SJAB; broken necks, plenty of broken bones, head injuries, someone with all the stitches ripped out after a major stomach surgery (high speed, half brick hit her at a banger race); probably the worst to look at was a "King Harold"; sending him to the nearby eye hospital instead of A&E probably saved his eye; these days he would have lost it.

• Like 2

Someone else on this forum to ask is Llanigraham, he was a member of Saint John's Ambulance for many years and a very fine chap too! Although he may be a little preoccupied at the moment with the acquisition of two automobiles......

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Thanks Matt.

See you've bought a sensible car to go with the sensible boat!!

Edited by Llanigraham

I dealt with PLENTY of more serious injuries in my time with the SJAB; broken necks, plenty of broken bones, head injuries, someone with all the stitches ripped out after a major stomach surgery (high speed, half brick hit her at a banger race); probably the worst to look at was a "King Harold"; sending him to the nearby eye hospital instead of A&E probably saved his eye; these days he would have lost it.

It was a 'MR' vs 'SJA' tongue in cheek joke, there's always healthy banter between the two, or that's my experience

Edited by DarrellGB

With the numbers of qualified paramedics queuing up to quit the job both North and Soith of the border I'd think long and hard about taking it up as a profession ...

I work for the Scottish Ambulance Service, I'm a resource planner so back room staff, who's job is to roster relief crew onto shifts and contact staff to fill vacancies on overtime ... trying to get hold of staff who are working at the busier stations is a nightmare as they rarely manage a full meal break these days and rarely if ever finish a shift at their allotted time ... over runs of an hour or longer are not uncommon.

With the numbers of qualified paramedics queuing up to quit the job both North and Soith of the border I'd think long and hard about taking it up as a profession ...

I work for the Scottish Ambulance Service, I'm a resource planner so back room staff, who's job is to roster relief crew onto shifts and contact staff to fill vacancies on overtime ... trying to get hold of staff who are working at the busier stations is a nightmare as they rarely manage a full meal break these days and rarely if ever finish a shift at their allotted time ... over runs of an hour or longer are not uncommon.

However, it's still a very enjoyable and rewarding career, if you think you'd like it, you probably will.

Loads of vacancies in Ireland too,

Check publicjobs.ie

Ok

Yea it's a great job and those 12hrs shifts turn into 14-16hrs easy

Yea never off on time

Yea miss meal breaks ALL the time

Yea it's hard work

Yea it's stressful

But it's the best job in the world

• Like 2

I'd have to argue and say the fire service is the best job in the world, but it takes all sorts.

I couldn't be a paramedic, so fair play to you.

Ah well, if you want to sleep all night, have your dinner cooked for you and finish on time, every time... then maybe the Fire Service is for you...

I couldn't be a Fireman, so fair play to you

[emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]

Have a look at the local ambulance services website and see what they are looking for ie ECA UCSW roles then read the person spec and take note of the key words they use normally things like caring, kind, loyal you know the usual stuff

Then apply and wait!!

The selection is a long drawn out process as it cost loads to train people so they have to be sure your the right person for the job.

I have worked in civi street prehospital care since 2013 and I LOVE IT wouldn't change it for the world

Like i said it's not a easy life personnally and work wise but so worth it!!

Those who can do it, should.

Tough job. But then if you were considering the marines...

Mate of mine tried and failed to get in to be a paramedic. He failed the maths test. You needed to be quite good at basic maths for calculating drug doses etc. He went on to qualify as a midwife. Last I heard he was working in Australia.

I trained for the Marines, had the entry requirements in terms of fitness easily achieved. But turned out to be a waste of 9 months or so due to failing at the first hurdle! Anyhow..

sounds like a good plan! I always wanted to be a fire-fighter but unfortunately the brigades in my area very rarely recruit. In my early 20's I applied for a vacancy at Wiltshire (along with about a 1000 others) but was unsuccessful! You could look at being a retained fire-fighter if you live close enough to a station, it's supposed to be a good way in.

The Fire Brigade is definitely appealing but since writing the original post I have spoken to a few folk and it seems in general that, as you say, there is a serious 'waiting list' as it were!

I think the Mountain Rescue would be a good option to gain some experience and get an idea as to if it a paramedic is a job I want to pursue

I have been in touch with Sharkrider and he said pretty much the same thing. About how many vacancies there are cropping up left right and centre. That's worrying to say the  least.

Ok

Yea it's a great job and those 12hrs shifts turn into 14-16hrs easy

Yea never off on time

Yea miss meal breaks ALL the time

Yea it's hard work

Yea it's stressful

But it's the best job in the world

Sounds like a challenge that's for sure! I need to give First Response/St John's a go and see if it is something I want to go further into

Have a look at the local ambulance services website and see what they are looking for ie ECA UCSW roles then read the person spec and take note of the key words they use normally things like caring, kind, loyal you know the usual stuff

Then apply and wait!!

The selection is a long drawn out process as it cost loads to train people so they have to be sure your the right person for the job.

I have worked in civi street prehospital care since 2013 and I LOVE IT wouldn't change it for the world

Like i said it's not a easy life personnally and work wise but so worth it!!

Those who can do it, should.

Firstly thank you all for your posts and comments.

I am going to speak with a neighbour that is a First Responder and has been for a number of years. I'll have a good chat with him and pick at him with questions that are on my mind. If I still want to continue and go further then I can look into First Response training. My idea being that as the First Response route is voluntary I am not making a massive commitment and therefore if I decide it isn't for me, I can jump ship and go for something different.

The worrying information that I have been made aware of is the huge amount of paramedic vacancies.

JRJG

I trained for the Marines, had the entry requirements in terms of fitness easily achieved. But turned out to be a waste of 9 months or so due to failing at the first hurdle! Anyhow..

The Fire Brigade is definitely appealing but since writing the original post I have spoken to a few folk and it seems in general that, as you say, there is a serious 'waiting list' as it were!

I think the Mountain Rescue would be a good option to gain some experience and get an idea as to if it a paramedic is a job I want to pursue

I have been in touch with Sharkrider and he said pretty much the same thing. About how many vacancies there are cropping up left right and centre. That's worrying to say the  least.

Sounds like a challenge that's for sure! I need to give First Response/St John's a go and see if it is something I want to go further into

Firstly thank you all for your posts and comments.

I am going to speak with a neighbour that is a First Responder and has been for a number of years. I'll have a good chat with him and pick at him with questions that are on my mind. If I still want to continue and go further then I can look into First Response training. My idea being that as the First Response route is voluntary I am not making a massive commitment and therefore if I decide it isn't for me, I can jump ship and go for something different.

The worrying information that I have been made aware of is the huge amount of paramedic vacancies.

JRJG

Have you thought about the Air Force? I failed the Marine Training for having heart palpatations then went to the RAF. They had me and the training is a LOT easier than Marine training. Anyway you can sign yourself up as a combat medic or failing that any trade that takes your fancy. Once qualified you can volunteer for RAF Mountain Rescue team which you do full time whilst still earning your trade wages. I know a lot of guys that have done / do it and they love it.

• 8 months later...

Just to bump an old thread, how did you get on with this mate?

Hi - I have been accepted for the role, I have sent off references and a fit to work doctors statement, had dbs background checks, the interview, all sorts! I didn't realise how much red tape there could be.

I should of updated the thread, my apologies.

I have a few modules of reading material still to go through, 'pre training learning'. I have yet to be given a date for the start of the training. Exciting times ahead.

JRJG

• Like 2

This is a career change I'm giving due consideration to also. After nearly 16 years in the MoD Police, I need a change. Anyone here from SECAMB? Please PM me!!