Anyone tried the Mk3

Just spent a wad on the wee Furby, first mods in 3 years of ownership, and I went down to the dealer today to get rivets as I am doing the door carrier seals again, though properly this time and whilst waiting I made the fatal error of looking at the new shiny in there.  I always have a look at the Octy and the Superb, especially the Octy Vrs as I have always liked them, but today they had a new Fabia mk3 monte sitting.  Nearly bought the bloody thing.  It really is a lovely car to look at and for a couple of hundred notes a month I was tempted.

If it had been for me to drive it I would have had it, but I cant justify it as I already have the Mk1 VRs and the Caddy, although SWMBO says if I can get the Mk1 up to snuff then she will use it during the week(I use my Caddy) and get rid of her i10(lovely car, great about town, but no poke for short slip roads).  Sorely tempted to get rid of both cars and get a new Mk3. 

Anyone tried one and in a similar predicament?

Lennie

They come in different engines obviously, but surely you would not want a 1.4 TDI 3 Cylinder, so would it be a 1.2 TSI 110ps 

which at least can get a remap to 130ps plus.

Check out the MK3 section, 

snagging faults with some and Skoda (VW) being slow to deal with poor Design and quality control yet again.

3rd generation but 4th evolution and Skoda still build in faults after all their years of experience.

Gosh, 130PS, rice puddings everywhere will be breathing a sigh of relief that their skins will not be brutally flayed from them by a fire breathing Fabia monte carlo.

All show and no go.

Edited by sepulchrave

Exactly.

But the 130ps will be getting a move on better than a 130bhp Diesel Mk1 vRS, and handling and stopping a bit better.

The 110ps petrol is no slug.

But yes show and not much go which is the Skoda way now, 

fit alloys, decals, body kit cheap plastics, speak of Motor Sport Heritage and success and use the Monte Carlo or even the vRS name on the fat lump cars and that is enough.

Yeah just been looking at the specs, and the 1.2tsi is the most powerful but looks like very little room for modifying basically.  Don't leave much headroom in the engine, and I want a diesel.  Didn't realise they didn't come bigger than the 1.4tdi 105bhp, and was kind of looking for something like a 1.6 tdi 4 stroke, minimum to give it a bit of extra oomph.  60mpg is enough for anyone in my book why go for 3 cylinders and sacrifice a bit of driving pleasure. By that I don't mean outright pace, I mean driving comfort, like lack of engine noise, effortless acceleration.  Do you think they will realise that the mk1 was such a good idea and the fact they went all petrol and charged the air to death ruined the sales mk2(plus the fact it is ugly as sin as a basic car)?  This is the reason they are giving for not making a mk3 vrs apparently, which is a shame, if they had a bigger 4 stroke diesel in the range I would have had one, as it really is such a nice place to be and a nice thing to look at.

Yeah just been looking at the specs, and the 1.2tsi is the most powerful but looks like very little room for modifying basically.  Don't leave much headroom in the engine, and I want a diesel.  Didn't realise they didn't come bigger than the 1.4tdi 105bhp, and was kind of looking for something like a 1.6 tdi 4 stroke, minimum to give it a bit of extra oomph.  60mpg is enough for anyone in my book why go for 3 cylinders and sacrifice a bit of driving pleasure. By that I don't mean outright pace, I mean driving comfort, like lack of engine noise, effortless acceleration.  Do you think they will realise that the mk1 was such a good idea and the fact they went all petrol and charged the air to death ruined the sales mk2(plus the fact it is ugly as sin as a basic car)?  This is the reason they are giving for not making a mk3 vrs apparently, which is a shame, if they had a bigger 4 stroke diesel in the range I would have had one, as it really is such a nice place to be and a nice thing to look at.

Blimey, I don't know of any contemporary diesel engines except some cathedral sized marine diesels which aren't four stroke.

• Like 1

Jaspire, 

The Skoda CEO who has now gone and was the one that signed off the Mk2 Fabia vRS might have said they did not sell enough.

Not a high enough percentage of the Fabias.

Oddly the VW Polo GTI Twincharger sold less than half as many which considering how may Polo's sell was a very low percentage.

The Audi A1 185ps less than 500 in the UK, and the Seat Ibiza less than the Skoda.

But VW have a 1.8TSI Polo GTI now & Seat also have a new Ibiza Cupra 1.8TSI, or at least Face Lifted with the bigger engine,

not actually quicker just heavier, but more reliable, well they could not be less reliable.

?

Do you mean 4 cylinder rather than 4 stroke, 

because the 3 Cylinders are 4 strokes, just like Fiat do 2 cylinder 4 Strokes.

1.4 TSI / TFSI Twinchargers 132-136 minimum are 4 strokes, but many use oil like they are 2 strokes!

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

Blimey, I don't know of any contemporary diesel engines except some cathedral sized marine diesels which aren't four stroke.

Crap sorry was thinking of something else, I meant 4 cylinder, lol, hadn't realised I said stroke, was on screwfix  looking for 2 stroke oil for the strimmer at the same time.  I'm old....don't look at me! :D

Had 3 cylinders before and didn't like it much, although 1 of those was a Vauxhall AgilaPetrol so that one should be ignored I suppose.  Just so noisy and rattle so much.

Jaspire, 

The Skoda CEO who has now gone and was the one that signed off the Mk2 Fabia vRS might have said they did not sell enough.

Not a high enough percentage of the Fabias.

Oddly the VW Polo GTI Twincharger sold less than half as many which considering how may Polo's sell was a very low percentage.

The Audi A1 185ps less than 500 in the UK, and the Seat Ibiza less than the Skoda.

But VW have a 1.8TSI Polo GTI now & Seat also have a new Ibiza Cupra 1.8TSI, or at least Face Lifted with the bigger engine,

not actually quicker just heavier, but more reliable, well they could not be less reliable.

?

Do you mean 4 cylinder rather than 4 stroke, 

because the 3 Cylinders are 4 strokes, just like Fiat do 2 cylinder 4 Strokes.

1.4 TSI / TFSI Twinchargers 132-136 minimum are 4 strokes, but many use oil like they are 2 strokes!

I'll be honest if they did a 1.6 or above diesel version I would have bought one this weekend.

Yeah I did mean cylinders, was on screwfix searching for 2 stroke at the same time as typing that up and I am a fat old man. :p

You get a 1.6TDI CR with a Skoda Rapid or Rapid Spaceback and that Remaps to 140ps plus easily.

They can be had for Much Cheapness as they are depreciation disasters just like the All New 2015 /16 Fabia is proving to be.

Good if they suit and you are buying a Keeper and you want to modify.

You get a 1.6TDI CR with a Skoda Rapid or Rapid Spaceback and that Remaps to 140ps plus easily.

They can be had for Much Cheapness as they are depreciation disasters just like the All New 2015 /16 Fabia is proving to be.

Good if they suit and you are buying a Keeper and you want to modify.

This is the thing if SWMBO liked driving it, then it would be a keeper.  She loved driving the vrs, it just has had permanent leakage issues, hence the reason I got the stuff today to do the thing right, I would fix one door and another started leaking.  Then i'll get the cupra interior fitted so it doesn't look as dirty so quickly, and she will be more than happy with it.  If they did a mk3 with similar driving characteristics, where it suited my wife about town and me on the motorway and everything in between and still hit 60mpg in the real world, then I would be happy.  Until then the furby stays where it is.  If needs be I will get her the ds3 she's been hankering after, but the furby stays until something better comes along.

I don't mind the look of the saloon rapid, but the hatch is pointless when the fabia is there, just don't see the point, but I do like the look of the saloon version lowered on big solid wheels

Edited by Jaspire

Exactly.

But the 130ps will be getting a move on better than a 130bhp Diesel Mk1 vRS, and handling and stopping a bit better.

The 110ps petrol is no slug.

But yes show and not much go which is the Skoda way now, 

fit alloys, decals, body kit cheap plastics, speak of Motor Sport Heritage and success and use the Monte Carlo or even the vRS name on the fat lump cars and that is enough.

Hang on, comparing (modified) 1.2 TSI to an unmodified Fabia 1

Also its wrong to compare like that, even

the last of the cars like BLT like mine were more like 150hp. And way more torque. So absolutely no way will it be getting a better move on better except in wildest dreams maybe.

Fabia 2 vRS maybe.....pity they got rid of it unfortunately but that was due to lack of demand, and too expensive really for what it was ( too close to polo gti etc).

Also I'd recommend anyone whose after performance to go the Mk3 OCTAVIA petrol route like I have ( on a budget, mine came with some miles).

Forget Fabia.

Once again, its not perfect (lack of exhaust note, seats aren't as bad as original Fabia 1 but if you were expecting full leather if you get std seats could be disappointed)

but thats good scope for future improvement.

It has quite a similar feel in terms of performance given to the Fabia.....until you really floor it and notice that the Octy definitely has an edge, even more if you were to map it.

Maybe in time Skoda will realise people want a small format like Rapid and give a better engine choice.

I'd say even a 1.4TSI Rapid is a better choice than a 1.2TSI Fabia lol.

Horrible looking seats though dunno if they are better in person, look like boards. Whilst the Octy 3 vRS ain't premium seats at least they are very nicely contoured, might retrim mine in the future.

The only reason to mention the Remapped 130ps 1.2 tsi when talking about a Standard 1.9 Diesel with 130ps was

that it was being laughed at as only being 130ps and unable to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

The not too heavy Mk3 Fabia or even the Seat Ibizas with a remap do really quite well against the performance of the Fat Lump Mk1.

Demo cars available if you decided they are worth actually giving them a go.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/390949-apr-release-the-12tsi-software-and-were-loving-it

As to Mk2 vRS prices, well not too close to the Polo GTI really in that it was at least £2,000 less and sold more than twice as many in the UK.

That is sold as in people bought them, New , Demo or Pre Registered.

VW just kept First Registering quarter after quarter even when people were not ordering or buying, the VW way.

As to too expensive you could get a 2010-11 vRS for just over £15,000 (& you could get an Estate.)

and the last of the Mk1 vRS had some paying £13,500 3 years earlier.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Please Skoda put a 1.4tsi 150ps in the car (or the new 1.5tsi even better) they do look good but are such a disappointment under the right foot :(

• Like 1

The only reason to mention the Remapped 130ps 1.2 tsi when talking about a Standard 1.9 Diesel with 130ps was

that it was being laughed at as only being 130ps and unable to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

The not too heavy Mk3 Fabia or even the Seat Ibizas with a remap do really quite well against the performance of the Fat Lump Mk1.

Laughing, but not at the 130PS (even though most BLT's are nearer 150PS standard), but at half the torque of the old 1.9 VRS, it's that torque that gives you the effortless in-gear acceleration which the Mk3 will simply not match despite the weight savings.

• Like 3

Lets just have facts please !!!

"will be getting a move on better than a 130bhp Diesel Mk1 vRS"

has changed to

"do really quite well"...sounds like packbeddling to me.

Justify this with figures. You are trying to save the 1.2TSI is better than the 1.9TDI vRS, and I'm not just buying it as I've seen the figures.

Late BLT was circa 150hp apparently (proven on rolling roads)

310 Nm 229 lb-ft torque

128mph top speed

1.2 110 as standard - 108 bhp

175 Nm 129 lb-ft Torque

122 mph top speed

No point going into 0-60s, apparently on paper they are the same but its widely accepted that Skoda underquoted on this on the vRS given that some magazines re-tested and hit the 8s mark, which is easier to believe (particularly on the BLT its not as slow as what they are saying. I've driven against enough 3.0TDI esque cars to justify this to be the case)

Also compare std with std, or mapped with mapped, don't just bolster your own argument with whatever suites your own argument. You should get into politics !

Its either standard, in which case the BLT is better, or modified, in which case the BLT is better.

I'm sure 1.2tsi will feel competent to someone but I'm sorry I wouldn't downgrade it if was me.

Point about vrs MK2 - even if it did outsold the Polo ( which was a sales lemon for VW) it was still a sales lemon compared to success of the MK1 as its lack of sales has ensured it doesn't continue to the Mk3.

You need to compare the approx 9k of the mk1 to the not quite 3k ish of the mk2

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=fabia+vrs

Again, let's deal with fact, the CEO of Skoda confirmed they preferred to sell the sportier looking cars that sold well, to the actually underselling really sportier Fabia 2 as he was quoted in this article:

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/skoda-will-kill-fabia-vrs

So it was indeed a victim of it's own sales failure although I'm sure this is also in part also due to posturing from VW to ensure that Skoda isn't seen to be "better" then the rest of the brands.

Its a pity though as the Fabia 2 vRS did seem like an interesting car, I wasn't quite convinced to get one due to the reported engine issues etc and the significantly higher price that the old Fabia 1 (for me, as a new car buyer of a late BLT it would have been £4k more and I just don't see the same VFM as my original purchase so never bought). I guess there were quite a few others quite like me who were harping for another diesel really.

Edited by vRSAnt

I asked the OP what Mk3 he would be interested in, and i suggested a Remap was possible.

I know what 1.2 TSI 110 PS or 90 PS are like, sh!te.

Like i know what Mk3 Octavia vRS 220 or 230 ps are like, a Style / Trim and an embarresment performance wise to the vRS name. Fat Slugs really.  More show than go, as Monte Carlos are.

I do not have a MK3 Fabia or have any interest in them, or a Mk3 Octavia, but i have driven them,

i have driven a 1.2 tsi DSG with a remap and it can leave a Mk1 vRS for dead.

So no back peddeling, Mk1 vRS are no rocket ship, and it does not need a Hot Hatch to be quicker or handle better than 1.

Exactly right on vRS sales..

13,000 vRS sold in the UK over their production & under 3,000 Mk2 vRS

(or 10,000 ish Mk1 first registered by the Howmanyleft.com link.)

The Dirty Diesels were of their period, sold well but were not that cheap, but had not much competition as a Sporty / nippy Derv Burner 

which was pretty economic and is one of the best cars for holding their value,.

A small point on what the good Doctor / CEO of Skoda said, 

the sales picked up after that announcement.

** He was the CEO, that took the new job as Head of VW North America and resigned before started, and possibly being questioned on Defeat Device cheats, no longer a VW Group employee, gone, punted , offski.**

The Monte Carlo Mk2 Carlo Fabia never sold that well & Tech editions were introduced to bring the too high prices down.

Under 7,000 in the UK, and that is Petrols, Diesels, Hatches & Estates.

Then the MK3 Fabia which he signed off is a bit of a Flop sales wise.

In 2014 Mk2 Fabia models sold 32,000 in the UK while Skoda sold 66,000 cars in total.

As it is a Mk2 Fabia vRS can be had now for as little as £5,000.

Maybe on its 2nd or 3rd engine, but thats not a problem if now a good one, 

from 2010-2011, even 2012,

Good for buyers wanting cheap performance from the quickest Skoda as standard that Skoda built in the last 2 decades

other than Motorsports Models like the real S2000 or R5's,

not good for sellers that bought too expensive or bought a bad one.

Rust free as well, which counts for something.  

Usually not full of water through the door seals, but the doors and spare tyre well might have enough H20 in them.

But then the Skoda CEO signed them off.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Didn't mean to start an argument team, wish I hadn't bothered asking now.

Wherever GoneOffSki posts, an argument is never very far away. I REALLY do hope he means well.

The only thing you could buy new that is like a Mk I vRS was a SEAT Ibiza FR TDi which has the 140PS 2.0CR engine in it, and could be had as a 5-door. VW and Audi also did make 140PS TDi A1 and Polo models but I think they went with the range refreshes in the last 2 years. Sadly, even the SEAT appears to have gone from production and with that we've lost the last great hope for people who like torque more than power.

Skoda UK literally begged VAG to let them have a Diesel engined Mk II warm hatch in the range but they just wouldn't do it. Maybe someday....

Until then, treasure your Mk I vRS, leaks and all. They literally don't make anything like it anymore.

Edited by wja96
  • Like 2