vRS TDI so far...

Just back from a few days working in Jersey and on the drive back from Exeter I had a couple of warnings come up - one which really surprised me! 

First was usual 1st service check

BB3CCADB-E102-43F2-9351-4F1D5BD477AD_zps

Second, thankfully close to home, was a low oil warning light. I've not recently topped up the oil, so was surprised to see that again! Have some spare oil that will see me to the service but hoping it isn't this thirsty moving forward!

5F12F3DD-79B8-4C5A-B98E-F71CC488A8CA_zps

2 hours ago, ChrisHooligan said:

I have VRS Tdi on long life service. However, I do find that about half way through the 18-20,000 between services the low oil light does come on. I do end up topping up between services. Is this normal for this engine?

It's not unheard of needing to top up VAG engines with a bit of oil between services. 

2 hours ago, ChrisHooligan said:

I have VRS Tdi on long life service. However, I do find that about half way through the 18-20,000 between services the low oil light does come on. I do end up topping up between services. Is this normal for this engine?

If you check your fluid levels regularly then I can guarantee you won't get any warnings on the dashboard.

I suspect the OP is one who blindly follows his sat-nav when it tells him to turn left when turning left would involve driving over a cliff...........

18 hours ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

If you check your fluid levels regularly then I can guarantee you won't get any warnings on the dashboard.

I suspect the OP is one who blindly follows his sat-nav when it tells him to turn left when turning left would involve driving over a cliff...........

Hardly..........over a number of years I've been doing circa 30-35,000 miles per annum. From my experience I just haven't needed to replenish the oil between long life services with other manufacturers 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChrisHooligan said:

Hardly..........over a number of years I've been doing circa 30-35,000 miles per annum. From my experience I just haven't needed to replenish the oil between long life services with other manufacturers 

Same for me, never had it before with new cars to get the warning light before 1st service. I should check more often. Still, that's why I now carry replenishments in the boot and luckily can spot a cliff a mile off ;) 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ToffeeMRD said:

Quite the charmer. Don't think I'd drive over a cliff, have a few more brain cells than that. X

Yes you have to have a few brain cells to consider the Octy in the first place and not follow the herd 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So car had its first service (at a dealer I wasn't keen on taking it to) and, as expected, all ok apart from some inner wear on the rear tyres - probably my driving style!

Noticed an advert for updating the sat nav to the latest Garmin update which includes lane assist. Has anyone done this as they were very unsure at the dealership - eventually said it was an update via an external USB stick and then plug that into the USB port? Reading the Skoda site, seems I update the SD card?

Looks much better than the current sat nav version I got with the car.

Cheers.

13 hours ago, ToffeeMRD said:

So car had its first service (at a dealer I wasn't keen on taking it to) and, as expected, all ok apart from some inner wear on the rear tyres - probably my driving style!

Noticed an advert for updating the sat nav to the latest Garmin update which includes lane assist. Has anyone done this as they were very unsure at the dealership - eventually said it was an update via an external USB stick and then plug that into the USB port? Reading the Skoda site, seems I update the SD card?

Looks much better than the current sat nav version I got with the car.

Cheers.

A dealer you weren't keen on :rofl:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been a while, but nothing to report since last update - car is running well. Just came back from a trip to the NEC for a few days at a well known dog show and managed to get 52mpg on the way up and 51mpg on the way back (avg speed of 50mph). Thought that was quite good and I know I could have easily got 55mpg+ were it not for a heavy foot at times.

Hit a few pot holes on the way back and the 19" extremes really do send the bang up through your seat!

Had a couple of drivers flash me due to the brightness of the bi-xenons and expect they were seeing lights for a while when I flicked the full beams back. Pass many cars with similar lights and can't understand why so many people think I've got the full beams on, very annoying.

• Like 1

Hi Toffee,

Couple of questions -

Can you tell me your canton settings? Don't think I'm getting the best out of them.

Did you figure out when you connect your iPhone if you can set it to the playlist you want - it always plays some random song from my iTunes instead of Spotify...

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Smert said:

Hi Toffee,

Couple of questions -

Can you tell me your canton settings? Don't think I'm getting the best out of them.

Did you figure out when you connect your iPhone if you can set it to the playlist you want - it always plays some random song from my iTunes instead of Spotify...

Thanks!

Hi Smert,

I'll check tomorrow and and post a pic, have them on individual equaliser settings.

I play everything through USB as work phone runs through Bluetooth. On the USB you can select by song, playlist, album etc - but only on the scree, don't think you can use the multi function steering wheel for that, just to change songs. It's through the selection setting on the bottom of the screen underneath song details once you've got the USB cable plugged in and music playing.

On 13/03/2017 at 16:00, Smert said:

Hi Toffee,

Couple of questions -

Thanks!

Here are the settings for my Canton...

7237E2CD-3310-415D-839F-6C06BD136247_zps

C0DCB78B-3FA5-42C7-A818-4D5A73860B3C_zps

A2A0678D-F575-48F2-8C0A-B3A5ABFBA457_zps

AB9A0CA4-AA17-4446-A8C8-3DC0BD192C2B_zps

Edited by ToffeeMRD

only done 2500 miles since new and I will soon have to top up my oil its lower than I like "Not Buzzing" that is officially worse than the last 2 mini's I owned, so far i have had the recline wheel on the passenger seat come off, a wierd piece of shaped sponge appear under the pasenger seat, headlights that stuck and didnt follow the steering wheel, only had it 6 weeks. It is a far better Mway mile muncher than a mini and since the sub upgrade the sound is awesome

I have to admit, I can't figure 100% out the level of the oil.

I'm checking it by the book, operational temperature, few mins after stop, clearing the stick, and there is not clear level where it is. Like the one I can see when engine is cold. The same to you guys?

On 25/01/2017 at 21:33, ToffeeMRD said:

Just back from a few days working in Jersey and on the drive back from Exeter I had a couple of warnings come up - one which really surprised me! 

First was usual 1st service check

BB3CCADB-E102-43F2-9351-4F1D5BD477AD_zps

Second, thankfully close to home, was a low oil warning light. I've not recently topped up the oil, so was surprised to see that again! Have some spare oil that will see me to the service but hoping it isn't this thirsty moving forward!

5F12F3DD-79B8-4C5A-B98E-F71CC488A8CA_zps

I had this with my manual TDI wagon..

leased from new on long life servicing included in the lease - was run in properly as per instruction

Bang on 13,000 miles i got the low oil warning - when i was out i was luckily close to my local skoda dealer. Rang the garage who told me to take it in. The manager told me the VRS versons have a "small 4.7 litre sump" so i needed to check more regularly.

between 2 and 3 weeks before i had checked and the level was exactly at the mark.

Long story short i got given 2 litres of oil for free "just in case"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Droidy said:

only done 2500 miles since new and I will soon have to top up my oil its lower than I like "Not Buzzing" that is officially worse than the last 2 mini's I owned, so far i have had the recline wheel on the passenger seat come off, a wierd piece of shaped sponge appear under the pasenger seat, headlights that stuck and didnt follow the steering wheel, only had it 6 weeks. It is a far better Mway mile muncher than a mini and since the sub upgrade the sound is awesome

The first thing that went on mine was the engine coolant - see earlier post, but think it was around 6-8k miles - didn't expect that at all! Oils been fine since the changes/service and I've really racked up the miles over the past month. Other than those issues, it's been solid

6 hours ago, TTodorov said:

I have to admit, I can't figure 100% out the level of the oil.

I'm checking it by the book, operational temperature, few mins after stop, clearing the stick, and there is not clear level where it is. Like the one I can see when engine is cold. The same to you guys?

Must admit I usually check it when it's cold, didn't read the manual! 

• 4 weeks later...

Just over 25,000 miles now and think I'll be bang on the 30,000 mark for the first year. MPG has seen early 50's, mainly due to some more restrained driving on my part I think.

Still get glances in car parks and had a couple of people ask me what I thought about the car recently as they really liked it. As a petrolhead, there's no nicer feeling (ok maybe a V8-V12)!

One annoying thing I noticed today was a chip on one of the alloys. I'm hoping it's not the start of 'flaking' alloys thats cursed a few of my old Japanese cars.

Has anyone experienced any 'flaking' alloys before with Skoda? 

Pic below.

2C38EF6F-5925-485C-9B0B-6444E01A9D7D_zps

Are you sure the description 'petrolhead' is really appropriate when you drive a diesel?

I'm not sure what the correct term should be though :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Are you sure the description 'petrolhead' is really appropriate when you drive a diesel?

I'm not sure what the correct term should be though :)

Haha fair point - although did go window shopping at the weekend ;)

E169CD02-B192-43AC-B208-BC0656F52172_zps

0B29E3C6-1BB5-4EAA-BD7D-49FFC547F708_zps

• Like 1