vRS TDI so far...

Assumed the Golf GTD would come with sports suspension as standard. The seats are very comfy in the vRS and I haven't experienced the ride being too bad considering the car is on 19" wheels - but that can all depend on road, driver etc. Most of my journeys are on twisting country A&B roads.

Did they diagnose it and fix that 'cough'? So far, the Amusden has been very, very good and a huge improvement over the old Passat (12 plate). The Canton was also worth the extra, when the music's up LOUD anyway!

Glove box is very small and so is the armrest box up from the handbrake. Also cup holders small too. Sensors so far for me have behaved, will see over time if this changes.

That's good MPG and, as I'm on country roads/lanes, I'm seeing around 43-48mpg purely on how heavy my foot is. Car does feel very planted, but haven't ever driven the Golf. Surprises me that it is more planted if I'm honest, but maybe that is the lack of sports suspension in the GTD?

I'd argue that about cost and company car choices vs a Golf GTD. We get a list and you can go slightly off tangent to that list, as long as 'base' car you're after is on there (i.e. a Octavia TDi is on there - you can try for a vRS). Anything not on the list is a no go full stop. Also, the P11D will also have an impact on whether your choice is even considered.

We don't get to see monthly lease costs as it's negotiated by and through a lease company, but it would surprise me if a Golf GTD (loaded up as my vRS is), is much cheaper for the company each month. Also the P11D price may scupper a well specced car before we get to that stage. 

The Focus is an interesting one, as the ST (D) variant comes in a similar price to the vRS. If you suffer with the Octavia, I'd imagine the Focus in that guise would be even worse - especially with those deep Reacro's! I'd say that is, arguably, an even better drivers car than the vRS.

Seems your company car scheme works different to mine, we have an allowance of £530 if we use less per month we get the balance paid to us, we can go over and get an M6 for example and pay the additional monthly cost plus company car tax but I'd be broke. On our scheme a base TDi vRS is £554 a month then company car tax at 40% £189 means It would cost me £215 per month, a basic GTD on the other hand is £523 with tax £205 so I'd pay £198 per month which is just less than the vRS, guess resale value is a factor in this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I've finally hit 10,000 miles. No sign so far of the coolant dropping again, will update you all if it does.

I've just had to bring an old colleagues Passat back on a 200 mile journey so it was a good chance to see how it compared, albeit as a 63 plate and 150ish bhp model. Firstly road noise....I didn't feel as though it was that much better than the vRS, there is definitely some additional noise in the Skoda, but not enough to make it unbearable. And bear in mind I'm running 19" wheels, compared to the 16" on the Passat. The updated maps and whole Amusden system is really good, but I know VW's latest will probably surpass that by now. In terms of comfort, the vRS wins hands down for me, the Passat (full leather) wasn't anywhere near as nice on the back.

When it comes to switchgear, you can feel the better parts in the Passat and the electric folding mirrors operate far quicker and at higher speeds too. Everything in that sense runs that little bit quicker and smoother in the VW which is understandable as the more premium brand.

The engine surprised me in that I didn't expect to feel as much of a power deficit from the vRS as I did. This was very apparent when accelerating between 50-70ish :) The Passat also handles like a barge in corners, again expected compared to the vRS in terms of size and set up.

Overall I was very pleased to be getting back into the Octavia and even more impressed with the car considering it's position in the VAG stable and price when compared with similar spec and powered VW cars.

Seems your company car scheme works different to mine, we have an allowance of £530 if we use less per month we get the balance paid to us, we can go over and get an M6 for example and pay the additional monthly cost plus company car tax but I'd be broke. On our scheme a base TDi vRS is £554 a month then company car tax at 40% £189 means It would cost me £215 per month, a basic GTD on the other hand is £523 with tax £205 so I'd pay £198 per month which is just less than the vRS, guess resale value is a factor in this.

I looked at both the GTD and VRS and test drove both for a company car. Then someone mentioned the Volvo V40 D4 R design. The car has 190 bhp and 99co2 the car was 3k more to buy as I've had the nav plus in bright silver with winter pack but still worked out £23 a month cheaper. Plus its quicker than both the GTD and VRS, don't get me wrong the golf stuck to the road around bends a lot better but the v40 was not far off. It's one of the most all rounded cars I have drove I can see it being a joy to drive long miles. I'm waiting for it to arrive 10-12 weeks :( but I would recommend going to a Volvo dealer and having a look. If your like me soon as they mentioned Volvo was like nope, but glad they did. Probably get hammered bringing a Volvo on to a skoda forum but worth a look if it works out a lot cheaper!

• Like 1

Curious if the passat had real leather. You will be used to synthetic leather In your vrs.

I've got standard seats, not leather - too expensive an option and didn't want it anyway. This Passat may have been synthetic - looked different to the leather I had on my 12 plate Passat. Boss (A6 driver) said the vRS was comfiest car on the fleet - he suffers with bad backs!

I looked at both the GTD and VRS and test drove both for a company car. Then someone mentioned the Volvo V40 D4 R design. The car has 190 bhp and 99co2 the car was 3k more to buy as I've had the nav plus in bright silver with winter pack but still worked out £23 a month cheaper. Plus its quicker than both the GTD and VRS, don't get me wrong the golf stuck to the road around bends a lot better but the v40 was not far off. It's one of the most all rounded cars I have drove I can see it being a joy to drive long miles. I'm waiting for it to arrive 10-12 weeks :( but I would recommend going to a Volvo dealer and having a look. If your like me soon as they mentioned Volvo was like nope, but glad they did. Probably get hammered bringing a Volvo on to a skoda forum but worth a look if it works out a lot cheaper!

They've got them on our fleet - but not the R design (due to much higher cost), so in terms of spec it was quite far off the vRS. You're right about the engine - had trouble keeping up with a colleague! Love those Thor LED lights on the new models.

• Like 1

They've got them on our fleet - but not the R design (due to much higher cost), so in terms of spec it was quite far off the vRS. You're right about the engine - had trouble keeping up with a colleague! Love those Thor LED lights on the new models.

I thought it would be more than the VRS but I was surprised when I checked,the cars worth about 29k I think and still worked out cheaper.. I don't understand this company car stuff lol. I be paying £118 a month but obvs get taxed on top the vrs was around 130. Not sure if it's just our lease company has got a good deal on them or something. Yea that was a big thing the headlights are so different. I really wanted the rebel blue but they've stopped it :(. Glad your still enjoying the VRS love them. If I was buying one for personal would had the vrs over the Volvo.

I thought it would be more than the VRS but I was surprised when I checked,the cars worth about 29k I think and still worked out cheaper.. I don't understand this company car stuff lol. I be paying £118 a month but obvs get taxed on top the vrs was around 130. Not sure if it's just our lease company has got a good deal on them or something. Yea that was a big thing the headlights are so different. I really wanted the rebel blue but they've stopped it :(. Glad your still enjoying the VRS love them. If I was buying one for personal would had the vrs over the Volvo.

The lease price is determined by what they think they can sell the car for at the end of the term. The greater the depreciation the higher the lease cost. Basically they think the depreciation of the Volvo will be less than the vRS,

• Like 2

I'm 33 months in with Bismark and I remain very happy with her.

Only three issues so far, faulty fuel pump at 2 weeks old and leaking power boot tailgate struts replaced at about 24 months, both under warranty with no quibbles.

The third, which is a fairly hot thread I started relates to the Tdi being a little slow to start sometimes but that's sorted too.

Never had to address either oil or coolant levels between services, she's quick, economical and apacious.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

No recent updates as the vRS has been going well - coolant seems to be settled so not sure why it was almost empty a month or so ago. Have invested in a RING pump which runs from the in car socket as I'm aware I'm carrying a lot with work (looks like I have lowering springs on back - see below) & don't want any issues with tyre wear or worst case if I had an accident.

B777D8E9-0E05-4282-B078-0CC03C1E433B_zps

MPG wise I've been hitting mostly mid 40's, with a few 50's on longer runs. Usually fill up at BP, but used Morrisons and Sainsbury's recently and I'm sure I got less out of my tank - maybe it was a heavy right foot though :) !!

Weather is shocking and whilst the car handles well, I do see the benefit of 4x4 when I'm wheel spinning out of junctions in 1st and 2nd. Car hasn't been loved as much due to constant driving with work and that it'd be muddy again almost immediately. Reminds me I need to invest in a snow foam lance for my Nilfisk and get decent cleaning products/wax/polish. Xmas presents from the wife, recommendations welcome ;)

7A1E9A6C-9C46-4C8D-8838-217719532479_zps

8B73F15A-3E33-4FE8-AECF-10B96A449164_zps

A72642FD-5A84-4716-8318-230B459F419E_zps

Edited by ToffeeMRD
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of warning lights today, one expected and one a big surprise. First (with a 5am start) was the usual yellow flashing traction (or lack of) warning light. Second was unexpected and 150 miles into a 350 mile round trip - low oil light!

Ironically I'd only been reading manual and saw it said you should have spare oil for long journeys!

*HEATED WASHER NOZZLES?* I'm meant to have heated washer nozzles as an extra, but they didn't work the whole way to my destination (3 hours). Anyone else had this issue or is it just the extreme cold weather (-7)? Due its first service soon, so will raise it with Bath or Yeovil Skoda.

So back to the oil. Luckily I was only 10 miles from a service station and bought the VW 507/00 spec Castrol as recommended in the book. Now have 0.5ltrs spare just in case. Surprised I needed to do this after 13,500 miles, but someone said the engine will drink a lot of oil initially. Still, - few more Nectar points from a work CC purchase is always a little bonus.

In terms of MPG, got 51 on way back (200 miles) with avg speed of 50mph. Not too bad.

0E6713CD-74E2-4420-AD19-85C9318FC77E_zps

Edited by ToffeeMRD

I have the heated nozzles, but the coldest I've been out is -2.5c and they worked OK.

On the subject of oil, I always carry a 1 Ltr bottle round. My previous MK2 needed topups every 1k or so after 70k, so I couldn't travel without it! Only had the MK3 for a month and not needed to top up yet, but have it as a "just in case". If 13.5k is the first time you've needed to top up, I wouldn't be too concerned by that.

• Like 1

I have the heated nozzles, but the coldest I've been out is -2.5c and they worked OK.

On the subject of oil, I always carry a 1 Ltr bottle round. My previous MK2 needed topups every 1k or so after 70k, so I couldn't travel without it! Only had the MK3 for a month and not needed to top up yet, but have it as a "just in case". If 13.5k is the first time you've needed to top up, I wouldn't be too concerned by that.

Good to know the oil consumption is nothing to be concerned about.

Re the nozzles, does your car spray fluid onto the windscreen once it's warmed up in freezing conditions?

Good to know the oil consumption is nothing to be concerned about.

Re the nozzles, does your car spray fluid onto the windscreen once it's warmed up in freezing conditions?

When what has warmed, the car or the nozzles? I haven't had a situation (yet?!) where I've pressed for screenwash and not had it. That said, there's only been a handful of mornings in the minus figures and only 3-4 degrees under 0c where I live.

When what has warmed, the car or the nozzles? I haven't had a situation (yet?!) where I've pressed for screenwash and not had it. That said, there's only been a handful of mornings in the minus figures and only 3-4 degrees under 0c where I live.

The car. I was out couple of days ago and it was between -4 to -7 and couldn't spray anything from the washers at all. Must be something wrong as I assume that's the whole point of heated nozzles, unless the pipes were frozen solid too.

The car. I was out couple of days ago and it was between -4 to -7 and couldn't spray anything from the washers at all. Must be something wrong as I assume that's the whole point of heated nozzles, unless the pipes were frozen solid too.

Yeah I guess pipes could be frozen, or even the screenwash itself depending on what you have in there, dilution ratio and what it's rated to etc. Mine is petrol so the car is usually warmed up within a couple of mins from cold.

Update from this week, car was shunted in queuing traffic from behind! Busy road up leading up to M4 and lots of stop start traffic getting close to a roundabout. It felt like one hell of a bang and thought the back end would be a crumpled mess, luckily no major damage (and she was ok too). No issues with parking sensors and exhaust (fake !) exit was ok too.

Repairs booked in next couple of weeks.

Hole in plastic reflector strip:

0D04EB0E-DBF5-45DF-8EF3-5F09951F280C_zps

Long scratch from her bumper/number plate:

9EB49169-B0F4-4B0C-8D12-856AD4F4559F_zps

81CFCCFF-68BF-45D6-B769-F607E1B53FFA_zps

DFA7450F-633A-4646-95AD-A190B730CC6C_zps

Not sure if there is any damage behind the number, but seem to have got off lightly....

Edited by ToffeeMRD

Update from this week, car was shunted in queuing traffic from behind! Busy road up leading up to M4 and lots of stop start traffic getting close to a roundabout. It felt like one hell of a bang and thought the back end would be a crumpled mess, luckily no major damage (and she was ok too). No issues with parking sensors and exhaust (fake !) exit was ok too.

Not sure if there is any damage behind the number, but seem to have got off lightly....

Really sorry to hear Toffee.

Structurally behind the bumper you should be alright, I got hit by a Insignia last year that hit me while stopped at a roundabout on a 60MPH road. My car jolted forward about 15ft, but other than needing a new bumper and parking sensors it was all ok.

Hopefully it'll be the same for you, and you'll be back on the road in no time.

Hi all,

Sorry to hear of your shunt ToffeeMRD, doesn't look too bad thankfully.

Regarding the frozen nozzles I've got the winter pack and mine have operated as low as -5.5 without any problems, if the concentration of your screenwash is okay (as some are only good pre-mixed to -5) definitely mention to the dealer.

Weather is shocking and whilst the car handles well, I do see the benefit of 4x4 when I'm wheel spinning out of junctions in 1st and 2nd. 

Mine is 4x4 all i can say is WooooW the traction pulling away from junctions dry, wet or greasy is amazing, my previous MK 2 VRS tdi would wheel spin and careful use of the throttle was required.  Now I just press and go without any stalling worries too  :happy: !

Regarding oil my MK 2 VRS tdi would require a drink like yours ahenner's.  I'm not carrying any spare oil yet as she's only 16 days young although just shy of 1000 miles already (can't stop driving her any excuse i can find and i'm out driving, think I better reign the miles in a bit though :o), think i better source a litre bottle soon. Hopefully mine will go at least 13500 before a top up is required.

My Estate is also extremely dirty commuting in the current weather conditions, does anyone know if there are OEM mudflaps than can be fitted?  I'm running the 19" Extreme wheels.  I'll be hopefully towing my caravan again sometime soon as well and don't want to get her covered too.  Any feedback would be more than welcome!

• Like 1

Yes, OEM mudflaps are available and make a noticeable reduction to the dirt that accumulates, which is surprising considering how unobtrusive they are, and I have not had any contact with sharp rises like speed bumps either.

They stop a lot of the stones that get kicked up on our dirt roads from contacting the paintwork.

Quite cheap and easy to fix yourself.

• Like 3

Please say you have witnesses?

The wife was reversed into while she was stationary in a supermarket car park, engine off.

The woman who hit her apologised profusely and said "I wasn't paying attention"........three hours later, after having obviously been asked about witnesses by her bloke, her story had changed to "I think we're both to blame". :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:

And the insurance companies went knock for knock and bang went the wife's no claims bonus.

Please say you have witnesses?

The wife was reversed into while she was stationary in a supermarket car park, engine off.

The woman who hit her apologised profusely and said "I wasn't paying attention"........three hours later, after having obviously been asked about witnesses by her bloke, her story had changed to "I think we're both to blame". :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:

And the insurance companies went knock for knock and bang went the wife's no claims bonus.

I'd like to think people wouldn't be such a holes and admit to their fault - I have. Guess many aren't so honest though when money's at stake. No witnesses as most cars went past, except for my dashcam footage. Will chuck that in if necessary to my company's fleet management group. Will give them a call Monday though now you've mentioned that.