6 month update

150tdi SE business estate, 6 months and 8.5k in:

Good

Love the auto hold, still not touched the handbrake once

Mpg increasing, averaging about 45 over a tank now

Still view it as a steal for £179 a month on PCH

Bad

Apple car play still hangs regularly

Drivers door never aligned properly so needs to be slammed to shut but not bothered taking back

A/c gets stuck on hot occasionally

Sills get filthy (live rurally) so even when stuck through a car was the inner sills are a mess (aware I could just clean them myself)

Peppered with stone chips, much more than other cars I've had

Handling is starting to annoy me now the roads are dry and pushing on a bit more

Carpets are awful and take a lot of cleaning

Overall still happy but am starting to find it all a bit dull. It does everything well, size, economy, gadgets etc but it's functional, not exciting in any particular way. Overall it's still a bargain.

• Like 1

Hi Bob

I know you are not bothered too much, but still.....I would get those things fixed as it's under warranty.

At least get them to sort it on your next service. Let them know beforehand, so they are prepared for when the car comes in.

Edited by Alf01

Sounds like exactly what I am expecting from mine when it arrives, kinda how I feel about it from the test drive.

I wanted the octavia VRS but the superb is going to be much more comfortable and usable under real world driving conditions.

Hi Bob

I know you are not bothered too much, but still.....I would get those things fixed as it's under warranty.

At least get them to sort it on your next service. Let them know beforehand, so they are prepared for when the car comes in.

Yep I will thanks. Nothing has seriously gone wrong so it'll all wait till it's first and only service(24 month lease)

Sounds like exactly what I am expecting from mine when it arrives, kinda how I feel about it from the test drive.

I wanted the octavia VRS but the superb is going to be much more comfortable and usable under real world driving conditions.

You won't be disappointed with it. Still a really nice car.

I found that fitting mud flaps made a huge difference to the amount of grime that gets stuck in the sills.

I was planning to as the dealer gave me a £100 voucher to use on accessories. When I called back 2 weeks later to order them they'd been taken over and revoked all previous vouchers/offers. If I owned it I'd probably buy them but as its leased I can't be bothered.

• Like 1

Oh and I should say I've kind of got used to the ACC. I still don't love it but sometimes it's useful. Would still prefer to be able to turn the adaptive element off and have normal cruise sometimes.

I agree with you with the amount of dirt on the door sills, I find it really strange as there is no wind noise or draughts yet the first sign of rain & they are filthy. I thought it was a build quality issue with my car but obviously not..

Had the car for almost a month and already got a chip on my hood! , im not sure if it the paint hasnt cured yet altho factory paint should have already or the paint quality or my luck!

I agree with you with the amount of dirt on the door sills, I find it really strange as there is no wind noise or draughts yet the first sign of rain & they are filthy. I thought it was a build quality issue with my car but obviously not..

Have you mudflaps?  Mine aren't getting too dirty but then the weather's been relatively good

• Like 1

Oh and I should say I've kind of got used to the ACC. I still don't love it but sometimes it's useful. Would still prefer to be able to turn the adaptive element off and have normal cruise sometimes.

Interesting, why is that?

Interesting, why is that?

Originally hated it as it slows you down too far in advance when approaching a slower car at speed for my liking (even in closest setting) and takes too long to react when a car in front pulls in. I find people flashing me as I'm not speeding up for a few seconds. In heavy traffic in a motorway though it's great. Just leave it alone then. I don't use it anyway near as much as I did normal cruise though.

Well I'm still waiting for my car to arrive so can't comment yet but I was looking forward to not having to constantly cancel, set, cancel because someone slows down/pulls out in front of me/won't let me change lanes etc. I guess I'll have to wait and see - thanks for the feedback though!

Have you mudflaps?  Mine aren't getting too dirty but then the weather's been relatively good

Yes I have the skoda mud flaps

Overall still happy but am starting to find it all a bit dull. It does everything well, size, economy, gadgets etc but it's functional, not exciting in any particular way. Overall it's still a bargain.

Same here,

Cracking value and good at pretty much everything but lacks a bit of soul and if pushing on it can get a bit hairy

Can't help feeling a VRS would have done 90% of the Superb stuff but with a firskier side to be enjoyed when conditions and road allowed

Only 23 more payments to go and I'm back in the market  :D

Same here,

Cracking value and good at pretty much everything but lacks a bit of soul and if pushing on it can get a bit hairy

Can't help feeling a VRS would have done 90% of the Superb stuff but with a firskier side to be enjoyed when conditions and road allowed

Only 23 more payments to go and I'm back in the market  :D

I think to be fair it's less of an Octavia VRS v Superb issue and more of a 'you bought a diesel not a petrol' issue. I haven't seen any 280 or 220 owners complaining the car lacks a frisky side. :D  You're both right though, the car is very functional. I got ours as it was that or an MPV, due to baby number 3 being imminent. It is huge, comfy, with a silent refined engine that is good on fuel and goes like stink when I want it to. But it has no soul, is disconnected from the road, has numb steering and is too long and bouncy to be playful on the B roads. I'll enjoy the next three years with it, but I won't be sorry when my next car is anything that isn't VAG (BMW 6/8 cylinder, Mondeo, or even another Mazda 6 if they pull out their finger and give us their 2.5 five pot NA). 

To me the S3 is a tool, and a good one for the job we require of it. But soulful, playful, fun and rewarding it ain't. But then it doesn't pretend to be!

• Like 1

More of a chassis thing than engine for me, chassis is obviously tuned for comfort and refinement

There are times when you want to pick up the speed on quieter roads but this is not the car for that. But overall I would gladly trade that for comfort and refinement, sadly our roads are just not up to it. The joy of a sporty suspension wears off a pretty quickly.

Originally hated it as it slows you down too far in advance when approaching a slower car at speed for my liking (even in closest setting) and takes too long to react when a car in front pulls in. I find people flashing me as I'm not speeding up for a few seconds. In heavy traffic in a motorway though it's great. Just leave it alone then. I don't use it anyway near as much as I did normal cruise though.

I just treat mine exactly like normal cruise so I don't have those probs. Utilise its strengths in heavy traffic / motorway but will knock it off with a touch on the brakes or override by accelerating away.

There are times when you want to pick up the speed on quieter roads but this is not the car for that. But overall I would gladly trade that for comfort and refinement, sadly our roads are just not up to it. The joy of a sporty suspension wears off a pretty quickly.

A bit more shove would be nice admittedly but hey ho it's a tool for work and a very good one at that 

I have other toys for misbehaving :)

Gotta say I love my s3 but here's the but,

Stone ships on front bumper very bad quality soft plastic unlit you I think. And also the headlight lens covers I notice chipped too appear to be plastic too not glass.

Carpets a bugger to clean

But way way better than my old mondeo.

Edited by Sevlow8

Was at Le Mans last week on the Mulsanne campsite, the road in and out was a sea of mud and the build up on the mud flaps was touching the wheels!

But with the mud flaps protection there was hardly a mark on the inner sills, well worth fitting in my view.

A trip to the Auto Lavage pressure washer cleaned it up for the trip home :happy:

Edited by philsmith
  • Like 1