Le Mans 2016 & ( in 2017 - No Audis) !

lol-lol

Exciting finish 

#2 Porsche can technically catch and pass lmp2 car providing no yellow zones or breakdown 

#1 Porsche dead 

Porsche current record holder for most time stationary and still lead the race 

Could.be first time lmp2 has won 

Currently first time a lmp2 has lead a race 

Alpine in third at the moment !!!!!!!!

Pos # Status Team Driver Car Tyres Best lap Gap Last lap Laps Pits Cat.
1 #38 Run Jackie Chan DC Racing LAURENT Thomas Oreca 07 - Gibson D 3:28.632   3:31.559 327 34 P2
2 #2 Out Porsche LMP Team BERNHARD Timo Porsche 919 Hybrid M 3:19.782 2 Laps 3:27.975 325 26 P1
3 #35 Run Signatech Alpine Matmut NEGRÃO André Alpine A470 - Gibson D 3:30.551 3 Laps 4:51.522 324 36 P2
4 #13 Run Vaillante Rebellion PIQUET JR Nelson Oreca 07 - Gibson D 3:28.785 12.829 3:32.426 324 34 P2
5 #37 Run Jackie Chan DC Racing BRUNDLE Alex Oreca 07 - Gibson D 3:29.418 1:36.094 3:31.103 324 33 P2

Good show for Jackie Chan racing.. 

Edited by lol-lol

Last lap!

How near was that to an LMP2 win overall as well.

Might as well bin the 5 1/2 zillion dollar hybrids and have 30 LMP2/Daytona Prototypes fighting it out instead.

Edited by camelspyyder

3 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Alpine in third at the moment !!!!!!!!

Pos # Status Team Driver Car Tyres Best lap Gap Last lap Laps Pits Cat.
1 #38 Run Jackie Chan DC Racing LAURENT Thomas Oreca 07 - Gibson D 3:28.632   3:31.559 327 34 P2
2 #2 Out Porsche LMP Team BERNHARD Timo Porsche 919 Hybrid M 3:19.782 2 Laps 3:27.975 325 26 P1
3 #35 Run Signatech Alpine Matmut NEGRÃO André Alpine A470 - Gibson D 3:30.551 3 Laps 4:51.522 324 36 P2
4 #13 Run Vaillante Rebellion PIQUET JR Nelson Oreca 07 - Gibson D 3:28.785 12.829 3:32.426 324 34 P2
5 #37 Run Jackie Chan DC Racing BRUNDLE Alex Oreca 07 - Gibson D 3:29.418 1:36.094 3:31.103 324 33 P2

Good show for Jackie Chan racing.. 

Alpine?  Oreca 07 with different stickers.  Its got less Renault DNA than your Dacia :D

Seriously the ACO should ban the hybrids and have a more open race.

You can see it happening if Toyota get bored of being spanked by Porsche  - the other manufacturers have all gone.

Edited by camelspyyder

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

You can see it happening if Toyota get bored of being spanked by Porsche  - the other manufacturers have all gone.

Aren't Toyota ahead in the wec table

ok so lemans is prestigious but it's only one race in the series 

The WEC is a non event in comparison, It didn't even run between 1992 and 2012. It just isn't prestigious at all.

Toyota have already won the WEC, but it isn't the big prize.

Currently 4 cars compete for the outright WEC, 4 !

(I don't count the BYKolles privateer)

However, "Cars contesting the WEC are automatically selected for Le Mans."  This is the only importance the series has.

You have to do the series to get an automatic invite to the 24 hours. Clever old FIA and ACO aren't they.

Edited by camelspyyder

5 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Alpine?  Oreca 07 with different stickers.  Its got less Renault DNA than your Dacia :D

Seriously the ACO should ban the hybrids and have a more open race.

Indeed Alpine have been working with Oreca for years and previous used their Renault engine, good summary from The Drive...

Agreed, you can see Toyota doing the same as with their billion dollar F1 project that just ended with egg on their face.

Interesting year at Le Mans, cannot say I am unhappy that it all got mixed up and the big boys got slain by the minions.   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.thedrive.com/news/8721/alpine-unveils-the-a470-their-lmp2-entry-for-the-2017-wec-season

Today, Alpine unveiled it's 2017 LMP2 car, the A470. This will be the weapon used to defend it's 2016 World Endurance Championship titles. This season brings significant rule changes regarding chassis and engine suppliers to the LMP2 class. Oreca, one of four homologated chassis suppliers for 2017, will continue their partnership with the team. Gibson will be supplying the same naturally aspirated 4.0L 600hp V8 engines to the entire LMP2 field this year. This is 50hp more than the 4.5L Renault V8 that Alpine used in 2016. The changes were made to ensure that the LMP2 class remained both affordable and competitive. With all LMP2 teams using the same power plant, the chassis suppliers and aerodynamicists will be working overtime to give their teams an edge.  Alpine's advantage will be in their longstanding relationship with Oreca, with whom they have won titles with in 2013, 2014, and 2016. The 2017 car uses many of the same components from last year, but the aerodynamic package has been developed and improved. This car looks sleeker and much more aggressive than last year's. There are more curves and cutaways in the body. The nose is slimmer with a much larger opening on the front splitter. Alpine have produced what looks to be an amazing LMP2 car, but we won't really know until it hits the track in just a few days for testing. 

• Administrators

Got back in after a meeting on saturday night and watched Toyota's hour of pain as it happened.

So much emotion... I thought as I watched, that's the sort of emotion, really heart felt stuff you see in other sports but not really in the 'top tier'#bashf1 of motorsport. Or other classes, certainly not televised stuff. I'm sure grass roots is emotional as heck. I think the last image of a rallye driver being emotional is McRae, although I've not really seen much of it since the WRC thing changed/morphed.

I think I like WEC because of the potential drama. With no slower cars there would of been no pit exit squeeze incident. WIth much closer racing and more cars there are fewer big gaps to pit into, oh and flat out for 23hrs and 57minutes :D

Such bad luck for Toyota! Now need to find some catch up for the 3am onwards as I was out all day on sunday. Although I know the result now :D

Edited by ColinD

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Toyota might win it then... or Nissan, certainly would make it interesting. This years near collapse of the lmp field did make for more coverage of the other 'actionable' classes.

Would the lmp class exist if only one team entered?

I expect there can be changes that will keep WEC going and interesting.  

Perhaps merge LMP1 and LMP2 and with companies like Nissan-Renault and perhaps Citreon-Peugeot could make a return as well as Orca and others it could well be a bright future for WEC in an amended form I reckon and the GT still has its own draw too. 

If Toyota go there's only the ByKolles left, however there are 3 new independent LMP1 cars coming next year.

Maybe Toyota will just do Le Mans next year, after all it doesn't matter who you beat, a win is a win.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...
On Thursday, June 07, 2018 at 13:29, vrskeith said:

Alonso should be pleased to get to Le Mans after F1 dissapointments.

Hulkenburg making a return sometime after his win?