EU referendum/Brexit discussion - Part 1

gadgetman

Well it looks like Scotland didn't get the result that Sturgeon wanted, so she is going to have another go. Why can;'t we have another Brexit vote. 

If we did, I'm sure the vote would be for remain and by a bigger margin than 4% :)

If we did, I'm sure the vote would be for remain and by a bigger margin than 4% :)

Just as deluded as the when we had the referendum. Talk to the same people get the same opinions, Most of the 'on the fence' people i know who were scared into voting remain are angry that they were lied to about the sky falling in. I can't see them voting remain if we have another. Nothings changed a rerun will give the same results. Scotland on the other hand will be a close run thing because the turn out could be higher and in SNP favour.

• Like 1

Just as deluded as the when we had the referendum. Talk to the same people get the same opinions, Most of the 'on the fence' people i know who were scared into voting remain are angry that they were lied to about the sky falling in. I can't see them voting remain if we have another. Nothings changed a rerun will give the same results. Scotland on the other hand will be a close run thing because the turn out could be higher and in SNP favour.

Go on then, seeing as you obviously know Brexit was a success, what are next Saturdays lottery numbers?

• Like 1

you must know a lot of very stubborn, pig-headed backward looking folk with their heads firmly buried in the sand then, Scribbler.

In case you hadn't noticed, the pound's tanked, fuel is on the increase and Tesco (and probably other retailers) are trying to keep food prices low.

My work colleagues (who mostly voted leave) have seen their shares in BT (a blue chip company by the way) sink to a new low (dropped over £3 IIRC since June 23rd)

post-73816-0-64729700-1476383157_thumb.png

edit < £3

you must know a lot of very stubborn, pig-headed backward looking folk with their heads firmly buried in the sand then, Scribbler.

In case you hadn't noticed, the pound's tanked, fuel is on the increase and Tesco (and probably other retailers) are trying to keep food prices low.

My work colleagues (who mostly voted leave) have seen their shares in BT sink to a new low (dropped over £3 IIRC since June 23rd)

The pound dropping has been very good for our exports and tourism, it was over-valued anyway, as any decent independent economist will tell you. The cost of fuel has nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with the price of oil which has been influenced by a drop in production by oil producing countries in order to raise the price and BT shares have dropped in the order of 80p not £3. Also, the stock market is very buoyant as well.

Edited by TonyB1965

Nothing bad has happened because Brexit hasn't been started.

Once it does and firms make their future UK decisions concrete, then we can judge whether remain was unnecessarily pessimistic, or Leave were too optimistic.

Jury's out until March/April 2017. Nothing significant to see yet ;)

• Like 1

The pound dropping has been very good for our exports and tourism, it was over-valued anyway, as any decent independent economist will tell you. The cost of fuel has nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with the price of oil which has been influenced by a drop in production by oil producing countries in order to raise the price and BT shares have dropped in the order of 80p not £3. Also, the stock market is very buoyant as well.

Oil Dollar Pound? No relation?

• Like 2

The referendum mandated the government to take Britain out of the EU. That was all. Voters did not say and were not asked whether we wanted to stay in the single-market or customs union. We did not say and were not asked whether EU citizens should be left in fear of being wrenched from their jobs and, in many cases, their new families. Nor did we say we wanted a hard Brexit at the 2015 election. On the contrary, the voters returned a Conservative government whose manifesto declared: ‘We say yes to the -single market.’

and this is from The Spectator; a traditionally right wing tory publication.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/10/theresa-mays-cynical-brexit-stance-has-put-her-head-on-the-block/

Oil Dollar Pound? No relation?

Obviously a weaker pound has some effect but it is as I said, oil has become more expensive. I seem to recall the price of petrol hitting £1.47 a litre well before Brexit but I don't recall people moaning about it being a result of us being in the EU. Oil prices fluctuate all the time so it can hardly be solely blamed on Brexit. Either way, paying a bit more for fuel is a small price to pay for escaping that nightmare. I've been following this saga for a long time and we've just enacted the great escape. Check the Italian banking crisis, the problems Deutschebank is having etc etc and thank your lucky stars enough people had the sense to do the right thing.

• Like 1

My fear is that people are being made to focus on the drop in value of the pound but as we know markets can be manipulated and currency's have fluctuated since.... Well since they were created.

But with enough political ramblings and enough media coverage people will start to panic, Article 50 will not be invoked and Teresa and Friends will come out of it smelling of roses.

Hopefully the people will not be scared into a U-turn and this can all blow over and we can then live happily ever after. :)

• Like 1

Theresa May "if you're a citizen of the world, you're a citizen of nowhere'

Boris Johnson "umm ummm ahhh errr like the honey from Sainsburys errrr a product of more than one country...."

Gold :D

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/watch-boris-johnson-accidentally-slams-theresa-mays-attack-on-remain-voters_uk_57ff5851e4b0e982146bf3dd

Brexiters, this is who you've got doing your Brexiting........... all the best with that shiz.........

Theresa May "if you're a citizen of the world, you're a citizen of nowhere'

Boris Johnson "umm ummm ahhh errr like the honey from Sainsburys errrr a product of more than one country...."

Gold :D

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/watch-boris-johnson-accidentally-slams-theresa-mays-attack-on-remain-voters_uk_57ff5851e4b0e982146bf3dd

Brexiters, this is who you've got doing your Brexiting........... all the best with that shiz.........

Firstly Teresa hired him not members of the Public and seeing how you see us as "others" then you are welcome because you are in this too. What a shame. :)

Firstly Teresa hired him not members of the Public and seeing how you see us as "others" then you are welcome because you are in this too. What a shame. :)

serious question Mr Nutz;

why, specifically did you vote to leave the EU?

Don't give me any 'reclaim our sovereigty' or 'bloody migrants comin' over 'ere stealin' our jobs' BS.

Why, specifically, did you vote to leave?

Edit; actually that question extends to ask anyone who voted to leave why, specifically, they did so.

Go on then, seeing as you obviously know Brexit was a success, what are next Saturdays lottery numbers?

How can we possibly know if its a success we have a 2 year wait for it to start and that starts March next year.

I just not stupid enough to believe all the Hyperbole or bothered of the short term effects of Politicians causing

wobbles in the markets by blurting out speculation at best to the media. 

Success is a relative term. i might be less 'cash rich' by the end of this but ill still judge it as a success because

you can't put a price on democracy and self determination.  

Lets not worry though all you negative numpties are bound to moan enough to sleep walk us into a recession

by causing panic in the markets. You can all give yourselves a pat on the back for helping bring about the

self fulfilling prophesy. Its the equivalent of someone committing suicide because they are scared of their own

mortality.

Edited by Scribbler
  • Like 1

The older people are entrenched in their positions (for decades), Younger people are entrenched typically in the opposite positions (more fickle and prone to change as they aquire capital and wealth (talking purely typical political demographics) people in the middle less sure but split very equal. I see no large group of demographic certainly wanting to change based on anything thats happened so far. It would certainly make a mockery of the referendum process to be rerun. Do you think over a million people ticked the wrong box by mistake?

Success is a relative term. i might be less 'cash rich' by the end of this but ill still judge it as a success because

Genuine ****in' LOL at that. Happy to shoot ones self in the foot financially to prove a point that was based on a lie. Well played, sir :clap:

serious question Mr Nutz;

why, specifically did you vote to leave the EU?

Don't give me any 'reclaim our sovereigty' or 'bloody migrants comin' over 'ere stealin' our jobs' BS.

Why, specifically, did you vote to leave?

Edit; actually that question extends to ask anyone who voted to leave why, specifically, they did so.

I can answer that one. I've been watching this saga since the Maastricht Treaty, when I realised we were being sold out by our own politicians. I then started reseraching the European Union and what it meant. On the back of my research I gradually realised we were being duped and our sovereignty was being taken from us. Now as a military man who has protected people and has, and is, proud to serve, this disturbed me greatly. The more I researched the EU the more I realised what a corrupt and despicable cartel it is.

I learned many things, such as how whistleblowing has been all but eradicated and how they've achieved that, how they have bribed all the "influencers" in our society and how they allow big business to lobby in Brussels and how they facilitate corporations. Now don't bother calling me a "wacist" or any other such nonsense, because I've protected and served with people of all nationalities and ethnic backgrounds. I came to the firm conclusion that to vote to stay in the EU is like a Turkey voting for Xmas. This project has been over 70 years in the making, from the seeds of Jean Monnet and Paul Henri Sparks ideas, this has been the biggest and longest deception in history.

I'm probably better informed than 99.9% of the population, I knew exactly what I was voting for and why, and I'm delighted with Brexit, it's never been about money for me, and I'll take any hit, it's about freedom and democracy. One thing I've learned in my travels is that the people who value democracy the least are the ones who've never lived without it. I've stared into the eyes of people who've been brutalised and lived in fear, who've not known the freedoms we take for granted, and trust me, you don't want to go there, and whilst you'll think I'm exaggerating, the EU is not what you think it is and being dragged into it's Orwellian superstate nightmare would be a disaster for this country and it's people.

Edited by TonyB1965
  • Like 3

Genuine ****in' LOL at that. Happy to shoot ones self in the foot financially to prove a point that was based on a lie. Well played, sir :clap:

Its all relative, Cash is obviously important to you. I have property, mortgage paid off I have car finance but thats purely for the convenience.

I holiday in the UK my work is based soley in the UK and our customers are all in the UK im not shooting myself in the foot im securing my

own and my kids future. If the pound drops to parity with the Euro and the Dollar doesn't bother me.

The Lie as i see it is that the UK could remain autonomous and in control of ots own destiny whilst belonging to a power hungry superstate. 

• Like 1

Erm, clearly you can put a price on it - the amount you are going to be worse off in two and a half years time.