Boot inner storage compartment lid design/defect?

Happy Friday, folks! Got a quick question for you. 

I was poking around the mini inner storage compartment inside the boot (on the left-hand side, housing the Velcro organisers and CANTON subwoofer) and noticed that the lid comes off completely and effortlessly when unlatched. Please see the attached photo.

In comparison, the lid on the right-hand side seems more securely hinged to the boot floor and swings open like a door.

Not sure if the lid was designed to be easily removed or if it’s somewhat defective. Do you have the same observations in your boots?

Edit to add car info: S3 hatch, L&K with CANTON sound system

Thanks! 

baf212bbc2f9a5f437d262d2dbb1f5c1.jpg

Edited by MBIII

I can't comment for the skoda yet, but I have little removable door things like that in my current car (a Subaru) and had them in my previous car (a Mazda) which worked exactly the same way - twist the latch and the whole thing came away so I think they are supposed to be like that

Ye', they've been like this for years. The lower spec Mk2 Superbs had a piece of plastic in place of the door but you could remove the piece of plastic and clip a door in.

As long as you hold it while taking out or putting something in it's fine, otherwise take the door off and clip it back in afterwards, it only takes a few seconds.

• Like 1

Yep my L&K was like this on Delivery!

Pointed it out as a fault and dealer said they would order new part

I can't remember how long it was but it eventually went back into dealer and they replaced the cover and the surrounding surface it clips into. It took a day as it supposedly required removal of the back seat.

It's been fine since

All covered under warranty

Happy Friday, folks! Got a quick question for you.

I was poking around the mini inner storage compartment inside the boot (on the left-hand side, housing the Velcro organisers and CANTON subwoofer) and noticed that the lid comes off completely and effortlessly when unlatched. Please see the attached photo.

In comparison, the lid on the right-hand side seems more securely hinged to the boot floor and swings open like a door.

Not sure if the lid was designed to be easily removed or if it’s somewhat defective. Do you have the same observations in your boots?

Edit to add car info: S3 hatch, L&K with CANTON sound system

Thanks!

baf212bbc2f9a5f437d262d2dbb1f5c1.jpg

Yes on the MkII it's the same. It's designed to come out completely but then should slot back in if you line up the tabs with the floor slots. It should hinge a little when opened but will usually fall out if you don't hold it when opening. I assume that's what happened to you or are the tabs at the bottom broken?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason for the door on each side detaching is because in the Estate Version (and mine has the variable boot floor) with the roller cover you detach both hatches on either side, flick up another piece and then you can put the whole roller cover module into a shaped groove. Then when you refit the variable boot floor there no roller mechanism to get in the way of a large load.

Photos available if you want to see them,

• Like 1

I think the logic is that the compartment on the right side is designed to be regularly opened as its a storage compartment, the compartment on the left is full of canton sub and therefore is designed to only be opened for repairs etc..

• Like 1

I think the logic is that the compartment on the right side is designed to be regularly opened as its a storage compartment, the compartment on the left is full of canton sub and therefore is designed to only be opened for repairs etc..

Not sure what the problem is here. On mine both compartments have lower hinges (albeit flimsy!) they open and the doors remove, and then you slot the hinges back in and they close ok, both work in the same way. I see someone has said it took a dealer a day to resolve under warranty and the back seat had to be removed! really.....Jeez I'm in the wrong job.

But on cars without Canton the left hand side is storage like the right hand side

So is designed to be opened/closed

Hi all, thank you very much for the replies!

Just to clarify my left hatch does indeed swing open like the right hatch. The only difference is that while the right hatch stays hinged securely when opened fully, the left hatch unhinges/falls off when swung beyond approx. 60 degrees. 

The tabs on my left hatch does not seem to be broken or torn, which got me wondering if it was really a design decision.

On my car the left storage compartment houses the CANTON subwoofer and Velcro organisers, so it’s really just a slight inconvenience whenever I pop the hatch to access the organisers. 

I took the car to the dealership and they claimed that, after checking with their stock and other dealerships, that’s indeed how the left hatch is supposed to behave. While I’m not entirely convinced I’ve decided to leave it at that. 

On the other hand, I’d be interested to know if anyone has bothered with a DIY solution to secure the left hatch that doesn’t involve ripping out the back seats :o 

• 2 weeks later...

Not entirely relevant - but on the estate the useful velcro box holder 'thingys' don't live in the compartment, they attach to a lip on the  outside bottom of the left hand compartment.

PS - both my left and right doors stay attached at the hinge when open - but I don't have Canton.

Not entirely relevant - but on the estate the useful velcro box holder 'thingys' don't live in the compartment, they attach to a lip on the  outside bottom of the left hand compartment.

PS - both my left and right doors stay attached at the hinge when open - but I don't have Canton.

Might be more relevant than you think. I checked my estate L&K (with Canton) and it seems that the door hinges or bends just above the Velcro things. So the door bends about an inch up from the boot floor. The bottom inch feels quite anchored to the boot floor. I'd say if I gave it a yank I'd uncover a similar couple of tabs with some plasti retainer clips on the other side but I don't want to yank it to find out.

Hope that helps a little anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have got photo, the left and right storage doors of the L&K estate are both as described above, plastic lugs push into holes in the chassis to fix and the bend to open is due to the plastic being scored, using the cloth cover as the hinge.

Where the passenger side storage door clips in, that base unit pops off.

When this and both doors are removed, there are storage slots for slipping the estate boot cover into. The variable boot floor then fits over the whole lot leaving it neat and tidy and out of the way.

I hope the pics come  up in the correct order

Drivers Side storage sans cover

Estate Storage Compartment Hatch - Drivers Side

Passenger side cover showing score to allow opening

SAM 0914

Estate Roll top in storage position

Edited by ukgnome

Well I be dammed can you store the combi cover under the boot? Is that a variable boot floor you have? You learn something everyday. I was constantly bringing this cover in and out of the shed when I was putting the dog in the boot

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

On mine the bottom tabs were fine

It was the catch at the top that wouldn't engage securely

So the cover just kept falling open

Same on mine. Just got the car and the LHS panel has just fallen down. Checked it and the catch has virtually no return spring action on the latch. As it is molded onto the panel, nothing to fix.

Dealer has ordered a new one, but it might be a while until it arrives as mine is one of the very 1st ones that have arrived in the country (MY16).

Not a big deal. I will secure it with double sided tape for the time being.