is VCDS worth it for a novice?

bmhill

was going to see a member on here who kindly offered to do a VCDS read and clear etc of my car but the wife fell ill so i couldn't make it.

the wife has just said she will buy me the VCDS for my birthday in 2 weeks if i want it  :clap:

my question is this, is it worth it for me?

i have just bought a 2006 Octavia and my son has a 2008 Octavia and we are possibly getting a new Octavia or Superb in the next year or so

i know that i can go on the list(map) of people who can help others but i am a novice and wouldn't want to screw someones car up because i don't know what i am doing

so what do you guys who use it in a hobby capacity think? is it worth it for me? is it easy enough to get round and learn without bricking the ecu?

thanks in advance guys  :coffee:

If you have a basic understanding of computers and mechanics you will be ok. If you just want it to read and clear fault codes you will be ok.

However, i would advise not to go changing coding until you have some knowledge with the system and know what you are doing, if you do try to change coding then please make sure that you keep a copy of the original coding before you change it so that if anything goes wrong you can revert back to it.

• Like 1

In the first instance, not really, no, get a wifi dongle and VCDS lite on your phone and go with that. If you run into the limitations of that, then think about spending the real money later. 

• Like 1

If you have a basic understanding of computers and mechanics you will be ok. If you just want it to read and clear fault codes you will be ok.

However, i would advise not to go changing coding until you have some knowledge with the system and know what you are doing, if you do try to change coding then please make sure that you keep a copy of the original coding before you change it so that if anything goes wrong you can revert back to it.

+1

Saving a scan and admaps will help a lot if you do something wrong, BUT not EVERYTHING is reversible, so you do need to make sure you know what you are doing (plenty of info / walkthroughs on the ‘net)

As for is it worth it for you? well for most people no it’s not worth owning your own as you may only use it once or twice a year, however if you are happy to help others and like tinkering then maybe it could be worthwhile (looking on the map there are already 9 VCDS owners very local to you)

Your current car is pretty easy to use VCDS, the latest Octavia and Superb (anything based on the MQB chassis) are much more involved, and most of the adaptations are still in German!

• Like 1

VCDS is the best option for novices. It's not cheap, but it has the best community around the world. With vcds it is very safety.

OBD11 is for me a No-Go. In Germany, there are many people, that have many problems with it. F.e. yesterday i has read, that someone only read in Controller 13, and after that, there was a fault code in it "sensor for automatic distance control adjusted".

VCP is more for experienced people. VCP can more damage on controllers with wrong handling, than VCDS

Private People, which only want to change codings on their own car, it would make more sense, to drive to an experienced person with VCDS/VCP

• Like 1

thanks for the replies guys i appreciate it

im in both camps in as much as how can i learn without using it but also the VCDS Lite may be good to learn on?

what does the Lite not do?

can it change things like 1 press on key to open all doors and make the mirrors go in when you lock the car etc?

my car is fitted with headlight wash but i dont think they are working does the Lite VCDS cover things like this?

the VCDS Lite may be good to learn on?

what does the Lite not do?

can it change things like 1 press on key to open all doors and make the mirrors go in when you lock the car etc?

my car is fitted with headlight wash but i dont think they are working does the Lite VCDS cover things like this?

AIUI VCDS Lite will not work on any CANBUS cars:

VCDS-Lite won't talk to a 2013 TT -- at all. That care requires diagnostic communications directly via CAN bus, which is something VCDS-Lite can't do.

-Uwe-

• Like 2

When I dipped into VCDS, I had the chance to observe two of the "masters" at work (Gizmo and Mike Holroyd - both great guys) One of the very first things you learn is "back it up first". Do an auto-scan, and save it, it will contain the current configuration of the controllers. If things go wrong, you've then got a great start to putting them right.

In coding mode, it won't let you do anything that RossTech don't know about.....the boxes you can tick are all available and labelled. The ones you can't see are essentially ones that are unknown. Advanced coding gives you access to these, but basically at your own peril. I recall one member on here sussed some coding for something to do with DRLs using advanced coding. (I can't remember who or what, as it was on an facelift, and mine's a pre.)

I have to say though, if you're only wanting to change a couple of things, getting someone else to do it, will probably be cheaper, quicker, easier than buying the full package.

There is also a 2nd (perhaps more accurate?) definition to the acronym.....Very Costly Dangerous Software. You can (but very very not accidently) access some fairly funky parts of the system......get those wrong and your car becomes an expensive paperweight. Certain values can only be changed in one direction, for example, you can program a maximum speed for the car........useful you may think for letting junior loose on the car.........however, this adjustment can only be made downwards, so if you limit to 70mph, you can't go back up, not even to 71.

VCDS Lite is not very good at doing anything other than reading codes. I don't you can even clear them with it. But it's free and works with 3rd party cables (about £10).

• Like 1

When I dipped into VCDS, I had the chance to observe two of the "masters" at work (Gizmo and Mike Holroyd - both great guys) One of the very first things you learn is "back it up first". Do an auto-scan, and save it, it will contain the current configuration of the controllers. If things go wrong, you've then got a great start to putting them right.

In coding mode, it won't let you do anything that RossTech don't know about.....the boxes you can tick are all available and labelled. The ones you can't see are essentially ones that are unknown. Advanced coding gives you access to these, but basically at your own peril. I recall one member on here sussed some coding for something to do with DRLs using advanced coding. (I can't remember who or what, as it was on an facelift, and mine's a pre.)

I have to say though, if you're only wanting to change a couple of things, getting someone else to do it, will probably be cheaper, quicker, easier than buying the full package.

There is also a 2nd (perhaps more accurate?) definition to the acronym.....Very Costly Dangerous Software. You can (but very very not accidently) access some fairly funky parts of the system......get those wrong and your car becomes an expensive paperweight. Certain values can only be changed in one direction, for example, you can program a maximum speed for the car........useful you may think for letting junior loose on the car.........however, this adjustment can only be made downwards, so if you limit to 70mph, you can't go back up, not even to 71.

VCDS Lite is not very good at doing anything other than reading codes. I don't you can even clear them with it. But it's free and works with 3rd party cables (about £10).

thank you very much for your input i think i may just get an head unit instead lol

If you buy VCDS then you'll have access to a very comprehensive diagnostics tool. If you decide it's not for you then you can always sell it #, sometimes for as much as you originally paid for it. I've seen them sell for more on Ebay second hand than they cost to buy new. It's not an investment really, but I doubt you'll lose hundreds if you decide to sell.

I would always recommend buying it over going to the dealers, but if you're happy to pay others for the occasional scan or whatever then fair enough.

• Like 1

thank you very much for your input i think i may just get an head unit instead lol

Dude, it wsn't to put you off, just more of a "head's up" really. If you're going to learn to use it and use it properly, as others have said, well worth the investment for the knowledge. If all you want to do is turn the seatbelt bong off, then grab some beer and look on the map ;) ;)

According to Google maps, you're only about and hour and a half from Mike Holroyd (Whitby), if you just want some tweaks, he's your Skoda Yoda ;) ;)

Edited by RainbowFire
  • Like 1

Dude, it wsn't to put you off, just more of a "head's up" really. If you're going to learn to use it and use it properly, as others have said, well worth the investment for the knowledge. If all you want to do is turn the seatbelt bong off, then grab some beer and look on the map ;) ;)

According to Google maps, you're only about and hour and a half from Mike Holroyd (Whitby), if you just want some tweaks, he's your Skoda Yoda ;) ;)

i know you were not trying to put me off mate and i appreciate the help and advice

my lad has a 2008 octavia and says he will go halves with me if i want

like you say it is a good tool and if we decide we dont need it or want it we wont loose a fortune

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine through Marshalls, brilliant service. Hope you like it.

great service so far and they give you a padded case but Gendan and Ilexa dont so that swung it and i ordered yesterday at 4pm and its on the delivery van for today so im happy so far