ANOTHER 10,000 mile update

Nice review. I had the opportunity to test a 190 diesel some months ago and I agree with you, It still doesn't feel like it has 190 PS.

In my case it wasn’t, when it went on the dyno it was producing 170, which I would say is about right.

The rattles are bloody annoying though, my biggest one is from the engine bay just before you come to a halt, not sure if it’s a heat shield or not but it does my head in every time I hear it. 

Its definitely something around the bulkhead/firewall area in the engine bay. Something is vibrating or rattling against the body of the car which is being transmitted into the cabin. Highly irritating and by far and away the most annoying thing at the moment. I noticed there's what looks like a black vacuum pipe in the engine bay below the intake pipe/MAF assembly.

It seems to just flap around in mid air with no place to clip it. I think this might be the external rattle I hear from the engine when its cold. It's unrelated to the racket in the cabin though. 

In my case it wasn’t, when it went on the dyno it was producing 170, which I would say is about right.

The rattles are bloody annoying though, my biggest one is from the engine bay just before you come to a halt, not sure if it’s a heat shield or not but it does my head in every time I hear it.

My current Sirocco has this same engine and it pulls like a train. I'm not sure how much lighter it is than a Superb. It's mated to the DSG too. I pick my Superb tomorrow so I'll soon notice as difference if there is one.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I had a rattle from my 150 dsg diesel when you came to a halt that was a badly route gear selector cable, might be worth checking. It was worse when engine temp was up to normal running temperature.

And I forgot to mention the rear screen washer is a joke, and the rear wiper is already squeaking and juddering, despite being thoroughly cleaned on several occasions  :thumbdown:  :dull:

On a positive note, the retrofitted heated fan jet washers are still working a treat. Now looking at the frameless rear view mirror for the next retrofit. 

Great review and apart from the rattles (I don't yet have any) is an almost complete match to my experiences. I love the car, but the 190 engine needs some serious looking at by Skoda as it is nowhere near as good as it should (and could) be, and the DSG keeps having brain fade! Thank goodness for flappy paddles to get it in the right gear at the right time.

• Like 2

Having come straight from the (350Nm) CR170 Mk2 to a (400Nm) CR190 Mk3, I was expecting a little more oomph. Granted my Mk3 DSG weighs in at ~1500kg, versus the ~1487kg of my previous manual Superb. But even so....... :dull:

*cough* remap *cough*

DSG gearbox 

Sometimes it will get confused at a roundabout, suddenly forgetting it's a DSG 'box and instead thinking it is a toaster for a few seconds. This has lead to a few embarrassing moments at roundabouts as it decides what it wants to do next. Making allowances helps, but it's easy to forget.

This may actually be the fuel-economy-related throttle response mapping rather than the DSG. Even with the petrol 280 there is a response lag if slowing/braking and then applying acceleration, particularly disconcerting if you're trying to get out into a gap in the traffic.

Even from standstill it needs a heavy application of the right foot to get it to respond with any sense of urgency.

In my case I've totally cured it (see here), though at £169 it's not exactly a cheap cure but for me it's been worth every penny.

• Like 4

Regarding the bird bomb damaging the clear coat... Have you tried to clay or machine polish the damage? Either way, give it a good clean and then get the hair dryer out (may require living with a female or a trip to the shop). Start an inch or two away from the damage on a lowish heat setting. After a good 20 to 30 seconds, check your work. If no improvement, move closer a little and/or apply for a slightly longer time. Repeat until the damage has disappeared (no, really!). 

Dunno how or why, but over on DetailingWorld they discovered that the hair dryer trick practically eliminates clear coat damage caused by bird etching. Seems it doesn't actually break into the clear coat at all, just marks it. If you click the link you can see pics of it in action and a better description of how to do it. For whatever reason, heat fixes it. Can't hurt to try! :)

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 3

This may actually be the fuel-economy-related throttle response mapping rather than the DSG. Even with the petrol 280 there is a response lag if slowing/braking and then applying acceleration, particularly disconcerting if you're trying to get out into a gap in the traffic.

Even from standstill it needs a heavy application of the right foot to get it to respond with any sense of urgency.

In my case I've totally cured it (see here), though at £169 it's not exactly a cheap cure but for me it's been worth every penny.

I'd willingly pay that to give the car some 'pep'! 

I tried the Audi throttle VCDS mod and it made my car behave quite strangely. It actually stalled the car a few times and knocked out the Stop/Start when the DSG box was in manual mode. 

I'll sit back and wait to see what others say about this little widget before I commit, I'll also have to talk to my insurers to see what they think about it. 

Failing that, maybe there's the chance of some software updates to the box and/or engine, seeing as the model is still relatively new. 

I'm still irritated that 190PS and 400Nm doesn't deliver some respectable shove. SWMBO has a 220PS vRS estate and it feels twice as powerful, despite 'only' having 30 PS more power, but 50Nm less torque. Yes, yes I know one is a diesel and the other's a petrol - apples and oranges -  but the difference is night and day, even at low revs around the peak torque bands of each car, the difference is ridiculous.

It's where you find they've turned the wick right down in response to Dieselgate..... :ph34r:

Regarding the bird bomb damaging the clear coat... Have you tried to clay or machine polish the damage? Either way, give it a good clean and then get the hair dryer out (may require living with a female or a trip to the shop). Start an inch or two away from the damage on a lowish heat setting. After a good 20 to 30 seconds, check your work. If no improvement, move closer a little and/or apply for a slightly longer time. Repeat until the damage has disappeared (no, really!). 

Dunno how or why, but over on DetailingWorld they discovered that the hair dryer trick practically eliminates clear coat damage caused by bird etching. Seems it doesn't actually break into the clear coat at all, just marks it. If you click the link you can see pics of it in action and a better description of how to do it. For whatever reason, heat fixes it. Can't hurt to try! :)

I used a vast arsenal of polises and clay bars to try and improve things. I didn't want to go too mad as it's all too easy to do more damage than was there originally. 

I might pinch SWMBOs hair dryer and give it a shot. It sucks that it marked it that easily though. I carefully cleaned it off as soon as i noticed it. Can't have been there much more  than 10 hours. I noticed it at about 7am and I got home at around 9pm the night before and didn't see it. I would have noticed it as well, given its prominent location. 

• Like 1

I'd willingly pay that to give the car some 'pep'! 

I tried the Audi throttle VCDS mod and it made my car behave quite strangely. It actually stalled the car a few times and knocked out the Stop/Start when the DSG box was in manual mode. 

I'll sit back and wait to see what others say about this little widget before I commit, I'll also have to talk to my insurers to see what they think about it. 

Failing that, maybe there's the chance of some software updates to the box and/or engine, seeing as the model is still relatively new. 

I'm still irritated that 190PS and 400Nm doesn't deliver some respectable shove. SWMBO has a 220PS vRS estate and it feels twice as powerful, despite 'only' having 30 PS more power, but 50Nm less torque. Yes, yes I know one is a diesel and the other's a petrol - apples and oranges -  but the difference is night and day, even at low revs around the peak torque bands of each car, the difference is ridiculous.

It's where you find they've turned the wick right down in response to Dieselgate..... :ph34r:

According to my tests (and BillyJim's, and Micloi's) the 'little widget' is phenomenal. It transforms the response of the car and box, and doesn't touch the engine or ECU. It's not a remap or anything of the sort, it just changes 'how' the car puts the power down. The Skodas are extremely soft and laggy on their throttle maps. With the gadget there is no more lag, and no more choosing between dozy D or insane S.

You get a throttle that can be applied just a bit to give strong, instant and progressive acceleration across the rev range, or a bit more throttle to drop a gear or two (petrol) and accelerate hard through the top of the rev range. No negative effects on fuel economy (noticeable anyway), and it brings the car alive. Without it you have a range of throttle travel that goes "Nothing... Nothing... Very sluggish slow acceleration... OMG DROP THREE GEARS AND GO FAR FASTER THAN THE LAW ALLOWS FOR NO REASON!". With the gizmo it's much more progressive, infinitely more controllable and completely removes the dead zone. Highly recommended. 

• Like 1

According to my tests (and BillyJim's, and Micloi's) the 'little widget' is phenomenal. It transforms the response of the car and box, and doesn't touch the engine or ECU. It's not a remap or anything of the sort, it just changes 'how' the car puts the power down. The Skodas are extremely soft and laggy on their throttle maps. With the gadget there is no more lag, and no more choosing between dozy D or insane S.

You get a throttle that can be applied just a bit to give strong, instant and progressive acceleration across the rev range, or a bit more throttle to drop a gear or two (petrol) and accelerate hard through the top of the rev range. No negative effects on fuel economy (noticeable anyway), and it brings the car alive. Without it you have a range of throttle travel that goes "Nothing... Nothing... Very sluggish slow acceleration... OMG DROP THREE GEARS AND GO FAR FASTER THAN THE LAW ALLOWS FOR NO REASON!". With the gizmo it's much more progressive, infinitely more controllable and completely removes the dead zone. Highly recommended. 

Do you need to notify your insurance company about these units?

I have this issue on my Scirocco. I totally had to change my driving style to suit but it does take you by surprise now and then. Even if you then plant your right foot it can just spin the the fronts up on a FWD car.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Great review and thanks for taking the time to put that together.  Some very interesting comments in there.  I'm starting to look towards my next car change and will be ordering over the next few months.  190 v 150 is a big question for me, having had two 170s and I'm leaning towards the 150 based on what I've read from a few members on here.  I've driven the 150 and it feels fine and almost equal to the 170.  Disappointing to hear about some quality problems especially the rattles.

How would you rate overall refinement (I know you said the engine is noisy) especially of you've driven other similar cars?

Just to balance this story, I have to say that my car has not had or got any rattles, squeaks or groans whatsoever, it is totally silent.(apart from the variable boot floor when empty. 'cause it has no catch!) also no loose trims anywhere inside or out, the car was put together perfectely.

Edited by philsmith
  • Like 3

Just to balance this story, I have to say that my car has not had or got any rattles, squeaks or groans whatsoever, it is totally silent.(apart from the variable boot floor when empty. 'cause it has no catch!) also no loose trims anywhere inside or out, the car was put together perfectely.

+1

Unfortunately not everyone is as fortunate!

As more people are likely to voice complaint if they suffer this type of thing than those who keep quiet because they have no complaints I think it results in a skewed perception of the Superb build quality.

Good review. Tend to agree with most of your comments. Though I always leave suspension in sport and even then I find that too soft though I had an A6 Sline with the lowered suspension which was a bit firm but I never felt it overly harsh. The DSG box seems to be Jackal & Hide, works well most of the time then throws a strop and forgets its a gearbox and has to change gear or changes gear to early then changes back down again. The camera is certainly worth it as in London a lot as well and great for parking though its still a big car and doesn't always fit in spaces or multi story car parks very well. Also have to be careful as can lose cars in the blind spot especially when joining a motorway, always have to check over your shoulder. No idea how much Adblue would cost me as filled mine up twice in 14000 miles though don't pay for it as borrow the trucks supply which considering how rough the engines sounds is a bit ironic.

Do love the look of the car especially on 19s. Not sure at this stage whether I would buy another.

+1

As more people are likely to voice complaint if they suffer this type of thing than those who keep quiet because they have no complaints I think it results in a skewed perception of the Superb build quality.

Yes complaints always get more air play than compliments.

As for the DSG, I think the problems may be a diesel related thing as my petrol car seems always to be in the correct gear, except when I put it in sport when it refuses to change up into the higher gears, you can get up to 80mph on the motorway and it is still in fifth! So I tend to only use sport when I need some fun or want to overtake something even quicker then normal.

Are you saying it completely eliminates the throttle lag? I'm pretty annoyed by slamming gas and having to wait 1-2 seconds for it to react at all.

Are you saying it completely eliminates the throttle lag? I'm pretty annoyed by slamming gas and having to wait 1-2 seconds for it to react at all.

That was my experience, yes. They do a 30 day money back guarantee (plus 14 days distance selling protection) if you fancy giving it a go.

That was my experience, yes. They do a 30 day money back guarantee (plus 14 days distance selling protection) if you fancy giving it a go.

Alright, and if there's no real negative mpg impact, i might actually have to try it.

+1

+1 too!

Just coming up to 5k and, touch wood :peek: , no rattles, squeaks, funny noises or issues (apart from the rubbish windscreen washers!).

Just thought add my tuppence worth to support the quiet majority :D

• Like 1