Before I buy my Octavia III VRS...

Hiya guys,

You have have read that I am on the hunt for my first Skoda, with the Octavia III VRS (2 litre diesel) being my choice. I do still need to work a few things out cost wise, however I am sure on what I want, just need to decide between manual or DSG. Just a few things I am wondering:

• Alot of the VRS' I am looking at do not have sat nav built in to the headunit. Can this be added on later?
  • Are there many extra bits you can do in terms of coding? (the BMW has alot of options for this)
  • Headlights are a big thing for me. Do all of the VRS' come with the same xenon headlights? Is there any option/need to upgrade these?

Thanks again for the advice,

LD.

I have a VRS 2l diesel DSG.

Its got sat nav built in, I didnt ask for it as an option. The only options I added were the black pack plus and front parking sensors.

It also has xenons which I dont think need upgrading. they're bright and a good white colour. also has cornering headlights which i thought was unnecessary, until you've used them a couple times. I don't know if an ungrade is available though.

Regarding the coding, I assume you mean customising? there's a big thread about VCDS, which has things you can turn on or off using a Vagcom.

All the best.

Rob

There's currently no option to retro-fit the factory nav, although there is a Garmin based interface made by Kenwood that will plug into the back and make use of the screen in the dash. Some say this nav operates better than the factory nav, although the integration is comprised as you don't get directions via the maxidot.

Xenon lights are standard on all UK sourced Mk3 vrs's. A lack of xenon's would suggest that car is a non-uk import.

As said above, if you get yourself a vagcom cable you can have endless fun tinkering about with various coding settings.

Edited by Czechers

If you really want in-built NAV I would recommend buying one with it already fitted.

There are no "official" upgrades once the car is built unless you fancy a "project".

The MY14 vRS didn't have NAV as standard but I think from MY15 the Amundsen unit (MIB 2) was included.

IIRC the vRS comes with the top-spec headlights available on the Octavia. Some comment they are not fantastic but for me they are fine.

As mentioned above, check the VCDS thread for a list of all the parameters/features which can be coded & the limitations for some of them.

Some time in November 2015 I think it became standard on uk vRS spec cars anyway.

The reason I say that is because I ordered my car late November 2015, there was a vRS on forecourt that hadn't got it fitted as I was comteplating not waiting for build.

Edited by davitc

Hiya guys,

You have have read that I am on the hunt for my first Skoda, with the Octavia III VRS (2 litre diesel) being my choice. I do still need to work a few things out cost wise, however I am sure on what I want, just need to decide between manual or DSG. Just a few things I am wondering:

• Alot of the VRS' I am looking at do not have sat nav built in to the headunit. Can this be added on later?
  • Are there many extra bits you can do in terms of coding? (the BMW has alot of options for this)
  • Headlights are a big thing for me. Do all of the VRS' come with the same xenon headlights? Is there any option/need to upgrade these?

Thanks again for the advice,

LD.

I wish you well with your purchase.

My one piece of advice would be to disregard the quoted fuel economy figures - if you drive the VRS normally, you'll get 45mpg tops.  No more.  Ever.

If you're happy with that, go for it.

• Like 1

If you really want in-built NAV I would recommend buying one with it already fitted.

There are no "official" upgrades once the car is built unless you fancy a "project".

Yes there is. Kenwood do one and your dealer will supply and fit for £500. It's effectively oem. Accessed by a long press of one of the existing buttons. They have brochures in your dealer salesroom. Edited by Mallettsmallett

I disagree with the mpg. I get 50+ all the time if I want to.

I got 51 mpg yesterday over 100 miles of mixed driving in our diesel vRS - and it's still under 500 miles from new, so I'd expect better once it's run in and loosened up a little. It's still astonishingly quick when provoked, and whilst I drive conservatively I wasn't hanging about.

If it's between the two get dsg. The sat nav is good but Google maps is much better as it knows accurately what the traffic is doing and can divert you before you get to traffic, which the nav system doesn't. It also takes some strange routes sometimes

Thanks guys.

For things like software updates etc, is this something main dealer will do for a cost?

I'm just thinking that I'm likely to get a 2013/2014 model, which may need a software upgrade.

You will only get software updates free if the car is under warrenty & you can convince your dealer that your problem is solved by an update.

After the warrenty period I guess you have to pay for their time to do it.

Between different model years it is likely that hardware versions for different modules has also changed, so don't assume that you can just flash some new software & you will have the same functionality as the current models.

If there is an "update" you particularly want on the car that you are buying, be sure to have it confirmed in writing by the dealer before buying.

I disagree with the mpg. I get 50+ all the time if I want to.

+1

I get >50mpg on my standard runs to work & if you drive careful you can get to the 60's.

The problem with the vRS is that the accelerator pedal is mapped to be very very agressive.

It will probably take a while to get used to this & drive it in a more economic way when needed/desired.

The biggest factor to fuel economy is the driver.

Edited by Gabbo

It is going to take a week or two for my private plate to be retained and my old registration to go on my BMW that is going, so the foot is off the gass for a week or so. Thought I had found the one up in Scotland. It was 2013, DSG, those nice grey and silver wheels, but the dealer told me it had satnav and checks that come back state it hasn't.

That and I'm very 50/50 on either manual or DSG!

It is going to take a week or two for my private plate to be retained and my old registration to go on my BMW that is going, so the foot is off the gass for a week or so. Thought I had found the one up in Scotland. It was 2013, DSG, those nice grey and silver wheels, but the dealer told me it had satnav and checks that come back state it hasn't.

That and I'm very 50/50 on either manual or DSG!

It takes 5 minutes to get the registration sorted on the dvla website. Get the dealer to send you a picture of the centre console, that will show if it has nav or not.