Change of color of door chrome strips

Since I get my car(3 months back) chrome strips (mostly of rear doors) become more and more matt. To be exact they are covered with some white spots and with every visit to car was seem to cover more and more space.

Even on the day I've pick it they were there, but was thinking it was because of bad chemistry used in clean reagent when first time washed before handover.

Is this only me or is wide spread? Does it worth to alert the dealer?

post-138220-0-44578900-1469038441_thumb.jpg

post-138220-0-33795000-1469038452_thumb.jpg

post-138220-0-35823200-1469038463_thumb.jpg

Other threads on this Samo78.... Mine look ok so far but it sounds like Skoda a blaming the owners and the cleaning products they are using.... How have you been cleaning the car ?

p.s.

Thanks for the pictures !

Edited by Nick_H

These should be a polished, chemically brightened and anodised extrusion. When you anodise over a polished surface you put create a thinner layer of oxidation on the surface to keep the finish bright. If not enough anodic film is created then the surface could start to corrode. Especially if they come into contact with low or high PH fluids. If you get your car washed at a hand car wash, it's likely that they have been exposed to fairly corrosive cleaners.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

First cleaning was in dealer workshop (no idea what they used). But car was picked after rain combined with dust and just looked like fingerprints....

I do not personally clean my car, just visiting a nearby wash center (probably 5-6 times since now). They use Ma-FRA products, and yes its a handwash car wash, But if the reagent used had high PH (or low) why only the back doors are affected?

P.s. Not quite sure if the chrome effect is exactly anodic applied, if you are right the ohm meter should show something (I'll test that a bit later)

Sorry is this threat cover some one posted early. If needed please move/combine to already existing.

P.s2 And something more, only the lower chrome elements of the doors are affected..

Edited by Samo78

I did take it back and the dealer took photos and came back to me to say Skoda were saying it was a problem caused by using strong chemicals. At the time, the only washing that had been done was by the Dealer and the Car Detailer. But how do I prove that

• 4 weeks later...

Some update on this threat.

Dealer replaced the top chrome strips of one of the doors, but refused to confess guarantee for the lower part of the strips. Claimed reason was wash reagent too corrosive, or atmosphere conditions lol .
Most strange was that there were 6 superbs and all of them suffer in more or less part of the chrome desease, and only for that small lower chrome part.

Even the representative of the dealer confess its no sense as obviously materials  used for both parts are different and surely one have pure coverage protection.

• 7 months later...

Went to the dealer today with the strip color change, they showed me the response from Skoda factory: "....damage to the chrome is caused chemically, by aggressive cleaning with PH more that  12.5 or bad diluted with water. Customer should change way of cleaning. This is not possible to change in terms of warranty. ...". 

I had experience like this on my S2, exactly same effect, I do think its down to the hand car washers that are around these days, in order to clean the cars quickly they use really aggressive cleaners. Not only was my bright chrome work dulled but it stripped the paint from the plastic wheel bolt covers. Had to get a new set from Skoda.

From that time on I vowed never to use a hand car wash again, just a bucket, water, Maguires and elbow grease.

standard bullšhit from producer :(
I provided them with the detergent's data sheet, where it reads that it has a EU certification
and does not exceed the PH level of 12,5% as set forth by manufacturer.

160901_Van Der Degreaser SDS 2015_LV.doc

as seen in the photos below
different parts of the auto body has not been affected equally by the detergent,
therefore it can not be blamed on detergent.

20160907_085553.jpg

20160907_085612.jpg

20160907_085717.jpg

20160907_085729.jpg

some parts are not affected at all

20160907_085844.jpg

20160907_085915.jpg

So. the solution and advice from Skoda producer: "don't wash your cars!":D The same as it is with the case of rattle phenomenon in auto gearbox when driving on the cobblestone roads:"this is limusin car and not suitable for driving on such road conditions. Please drive only on "iron" or "board" style roads":D

• 2 years later...

another part with dead "chrome"

0UAAAgH9YeA-1920.jpg

dealer promised this will be covered by warranty, sent pictures to manufacturer, but after one week claim were rejected 😞
but mine lovely dealer found one used part, in perfect condition, and replaced it just for 20€

Had a similar situation on my S2 estate.  There was a thread on it.  General consensus was that it was a delamination of the strip caused by water ingress and not high PH cleaners.  Several people had manged to get dealer to repair as I remember (3 years ago).  Was a big deal on the estate as it meant changing the rear window fitting or something.  Anyway, some people had it repaired under warranty.

4 hours ago, OFFS said:

Was a big deal on the estate as it meant changing the rear window fitting or something.

You're right - on the S2 estate the rear trim and the window are one part and it all has to be replaced.