Need help to update Columbus map

Hi,

I am trying to update the maps as I have not done this since I bought the car in 2014, but I am having som difficulties.

I am using a macbook and have downloaded the maps. I got a folder called "P134_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT_Q1" and in there I have one file called metainfo2.txt and 2 folders called Mib1 and Mib2.

I tried putting the whole folder "P134_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT_Q1" into my 32gb SD card and then inserting it into the car, but it did not work. Error saying I had to insert the required data. What am I doing wrong?

Should I only copy Mib1 or Mib2?

The update guide says talks about zip-file and extraction, but there is nothing to extract here?

http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/nb-NO/Updates/TMBJC9NE7E0120969

Its a brand new sandisk extreme sdhc 10. Do I need to format it?

Please help.

Thanks.

Are you sure? Thought that only was for the amundsen from what I have read here. 

In an official norwegian Skoda online store they sell two 16gb SD cards, but they are only for amundsen. Nothing for Columbus.

https://www.skodabutikken.no/shop/SearchDisplay?categoryId=&storeId=10152&catalogId=10052&langId=101&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=12&searchTerm=32gb+minnekort#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

And when I download the map it says "SD card with available memory at least 32 GB. We recommend using a card of type SDHC (Class 10)."

Does not sound like I need an Skoda supplied SD card.

Anyone who has updated their Columbus with a SD-card that is not from Skoda? please help.

Hi,

I have downloaded a couple of days the following file P134_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT_Q1.15.ZIP for my Octavia mk3 from http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/ given the right VIN (Vehicule Identification Number) as parameter.

First remark: my version seems to be 1.15 and not 1.0 as yours

Second remark: You can use whatever SD card with the Colombus - not only a skoda one!

(This restriction of a skoda's card is only applicable for Amundsen MBI !! I know that because I also have a fabia equipped with an Amundsen and I lost so many time with this restriction that it is now burn in my mind!!!)

SDCARD can be formatted as FAT32 or ExFAT, personnaly I use FAT32 on a 32Go Class10 SD Card

When decompressing the zip you should have on the root of the SD :

metainfo2.txt file

Mib1 folder

Mib2 folder

And nothing else!

On mac some hidden files stay on the SD after the decompression (I prudently erase them by opening a terminal do a ls -l for exemple for getting their names and do a rm -rf for those files). I then eject the SD from the Finder and also "lock the card" before putting it in the Colombus!

If you still have an error when using the SD in the Colombus, press MENU for ten seconds and you will see what error occured! If you see a message like "Les régions ne coïncident pas (unité principale) ROW Europe" with means that you have a region mismatch. I already have encounted this error due to a mistake on http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/ because the VIN was not rattached to the right region.

Regards.

• Like 1

This is a common problem with the Mac because it puts additional files onto the SD-card which the Columbus doesn't like.

If you search the other threads for "Columbus update" there is a solution/clean-up program you can run to make the SD-card clean.

Alternatively, you can use a Windows/linux PC to unpack the zip file onto the SD-card.

You can also use a portable harddrive plugging into the USB socket for the update too.

I think this method is perhaps less fussy than the SD-card method as I have my harddrive full of movies, mp3s & various files & the update still worked fine.

Personally I can't believe how bad the supposedly "latest" Columbus maps are.  Took delivery of my new Octavia just over three weeks ago, and so far the satnav has shown that it has no up-to-date knowledge of quite a few revised roads in the Northern Quarter of Manchester, including one way streets having been reversed!  Some of these changes were made 2-3 years ago.

Likewise the finally completed Torquay bypass from Newton Abbot down past Paignton is non-existent in parts ("driving off road") or has junctions where you can no longer turn right trying to take you into on-coming traffic.  Again, major parts of this bypass were underway 4-5 years ago, and the whole thing has been complete for ages.  I've also have a few issues in parts of Suffolk and Cambridgeshire where 'she' actually wants me to turn off left on a multi lane highway, but just advises me to "keep left", so I go sailing past my turn.  At least one instance involved a 5+ mile detour just to get back to where I should have turned.

Come on Skoda, get it sorted!  My little old noddy Garmin stuck to the windscreen gives better, more accurate directions than your top-flight system. :envy:

Likewise the finally completed Torquay bypass from Newton Abbot down past Paignton is non-existent in parts ("driving off road") 

You must have the Yeti version mate , we like a bit of off-roading  :giggle:

Come on Skoda, get it sorted!  My little old noddy Garmin stuck to the windscreen gives better, more accurate directions than your top-flight system. :envy:

That's because Skoda use Navteq (aka Nokia aka Microsoft aka Here) maps which are hopelessly out of date - some errors I reported to Navteq 7 years ago are still the on the latest 2016 Audi maps.

• 2 months later...

WATCH OUT!

People who want to update their COLOMBUS should be aware that a mistake can occur with a bad case of the zip extension for the filename when using http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/ and the DownloadMaps button! They will encounter the following error

<Error><Code>BlobNotFound</Code><Message>The specified blob does not exist.
RequestId:595bd214-0001-0036-28f8-1eacc0000000
Time:2016-10-05T11:07:57.9386635Z</Message></Error>

The extension 'zip' should be UPPERCASE! A valid direct link for MK3 Octavia owners fitted with Colombus should be:

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/HIGH_P157_EU_2017.ZIP

Regards.

• Like 1

Thanks so much Kevin93! I'd been scratching my chin over that BlobNotFound error for some time... :)

These maps are pretty big though eh? Chrome is saying it'll take over an hour to download (23.9GB apparently!).

Edited by GainfulShrimp

The volume of Data to download is rather large - the zip file is 25,7 Go (25 715 287 947 bytes).

For sure it is better if you have a fiber access to the web! Decompression and writing to the SD Card takes also a while, even on a Class 10.

Updating the maps by writing on the hard drive of the Colombus from the SD is also very long, 30% in 1 hour in general

If you are not driving the car during the update, the Colombus will go to switch off after 45-50mn. You will have to "power on" the unit several time to achieve the update.Fortunately the unit can resume the update from the last switch off state!

Updating the maps by writing on the hard drive of the Colombus from the SD is also very long, 30% in 1 hour in general

If you are not driving the car during the update, the Colombus will go to switch off after 45-50mn. You will have to "power on" the unit several time to achieve the update.Fortunately the unit can resume the update from the last switch off state!

My Columbus updated 100% from a fast-ish USB3 flash device (Sandisk Ultra Fit 64GB) in about 40 minutes... so perhaps the USB port is quicker than the SD card method (even with a class 10 card)?

I was slightly disappointed to find a petrol station station POI marked next to my house after updating the maps. That petrol station was demolished at least a couple of years before we moved in - and that was 10 years ago! ;)

I just updated my maps on my Columbus. It failed all three times I tried it, but if you hold down MENU for 3 secs you can go into Service Mode and see which parts of the update failed and which parts succeeded. I concluded the parts of the update I wanted to succeed did, and the ones that didn't were because the existing version was the same as in the update package.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

For people who want to update their Colombus without any trouble, please note that again for the update P161 we have a case mismatch!

NOT GOOD

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/Maps/HIGH12_P161_EU.zip => Let to "The specified blob does not exist." message because of the uppercase M in Maps

GOOD
http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/HIGH12_P161_EU.zip => Should be right (maps written in full lowercase)!

:biggrin: