Camera phones

b1ackb1rd

I've an S7 Edge, for a phone the photos are stunning. Nice and sharp with good warmth and shadows, midtones and highlights are wonderful, perfectly adequate for an A4 print and perhaps A3 if in black and white. 

I think the new thing on the block will be optical zoom.

I've owned DSLR's for years, current rig is a Fujifilm XT-10. A CSC that I can ramp up to ISO 6400 with very little noise. It's the best camera I have ever owned and looks retro too. It's a shame the lenses (although they are magnificent, better than Canon L glass imo) tear you a new sheriffs badge to buy them. 

• 3 weeks later...

My phone is a Galaxy Note 4 which I chose for the camera as I had a Sony Z Ultra which I thought was a superb phone but the camera was terrible and I was surprised how much I missed having a decent camera.  I've been very pleased with it as it takes decent photos, the high ISO NR is very aggressive but then it is a tiny sensor.

I also have a Sony RX100 MkIV I usually have with me which has a superb 1in sensor and wide F1.8 aperture but small enough to carry around in a pocket and with NFC I can just touch the camera once to the phone and it automatically transfers the pictures and resizes them for the phone so I get the convenience of being able to upload them wherever.

I was amused reading this topic as yesterday as the weather was good I chucked the dog in the car and took my bulky DSLR and a couple of lenses, reached a spot to take a photo, changed lens and powered the camera to be greeted by this:

20160926_163254-L.jpg

Oops, memory card is back at home and the second slot which I usually keep a card in for this outcome is also empty.  At least I have the RX100 with me...

20160926_163336-L.jpg

Oh well, at least the phone was working.

20160926_155249-L.jpg

The best part is when I got home I had a hunt for the spare memory cards I knew I had for the DSLR but couldn't find them until later when I had the horrible realisation that I'd put them in my camera bag when I was on holiday...the very camera bag I'd been carrying with me the entire time.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Another vote for iPhone 6. Since my iPhone 3G I've always been fascinated with getting the most out of a camera phone.

One of my inspirations photographically is Chase Jarvis who says 'the best camera is the one that's with you' and brought a book/app out based on this.

Still get good use out of the DSLR kit but for general snapping I tend to whip out the phone first.

I went from a Galaxy S4 to a Moto X-Play (before S7 came out and S6 I didn't want)..... God it's hard work compared to the Samsungs for camera though :( As a good value all rounder though, it's spot on. Waiting to see what the S8 has in store :D 

Moto X-Play is a little flat with colours and is scared of the light like no other! 

30551206851_d65dfad2a0_k.jpg

• Like 1

My last few iPhones (5, 6+ and now 7+) have always been my ‘go to’ camera, sure my Canon DSLR takes ‘better’ photos, but when all you want is a very good photo of someone or something it is hard to beat the iPhone camera.

• 4 weeks later...

the best camera is the one you have with you when you want it...

I've several DSLRs and they beat the mobiles hands down for, for example, long exposures, or for long zoom. But as a camera that mostly works and is half-decent? Yeah, I like both the Note 4 (especially in HDR mode) and the A5. A5 is actually quite good with light in the wrong place and then flaring. 

- Bret

• 3 weeks later...

Revisiting this after a while away from the thread;

I recently broke my third 1020 (!) so ended up with a 'grown-up' Canon DSLR - which I have to say I hated and have now sold.

Does anyone have any android cameraphone recommendations? I'm not going back to Win10 mobiles again and I really can't stomach Apple stuff.

I've got a Moto G3 at the moment which is pretty basic to say the least.   

I've been through the DSLR period and recently sold it all in favour of using my Canon G7X which gives me 90% of what I had in my DSLR without the bulk or extra lenses. The beauty of these compact cameras is their size and that you're more likely to be carrying it when your eyes naturally frame a scene and wish to capture it forever. With the DLSR you are going out hunting for that same scene which you may never capture as due to the conditions on that day.

I've used camera phones which have been OK but flawed. I currently use the iPhone 7 but find the time taken to get ready and capture a photo too long. Only phone I've really rated was my wife's Lumia 925, which was quick and captured some great images, never feeling like a compromise. It's a shame that Microsoft didn't subsidise some developers to get the most popular apps on their platform as they came into the market way behind the others relying on phones which were superb but not realising how the user wanted their favourite apps.  

My go to choices for camera depend on what I am wanting to do:

Day to day - Samsung S7. Good enough camera for most conditions and for snaps.

Days out sightseeing - Canon G12. Better all round camera with good image quality and better colour reproduction.

Days out with photography in mind (IE I am out specifically to shoot photos or at an airshow etc) - Canon 50D with 10-20mm lens, 18-50mm F2.8 and 50-500mm. Gives me far more options than the other two. Normally use a tripod or monopod with them though. Weight is an issue though.

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded to iPhone 7plus in September. Again, can't really fault the camera for a phone with a tiny little lens and tiny little sensor. The dual lens thing is actually more useful than you'd think too. I use the optical zoom function a LOT. This is especially nice as I'd never dream of using the usual digital zoom (on any camera let alone a phone), as it is just so terrible! So without the dual lenses I have a zoomless camera!

some shots from the 7plus

31371601224_9441395265_c.jpgLook of love by Lorraine Bullar, on Flickr

full night shot, from a distance, using the optical zoom

31402691583_7100d3d8eb_c.jpgCityscape from the Thames by Lorraine Bullar, on Flickr

technically quite a low light shot, as this was sunset

31837500070_b33bff693c_c.jpgWestminster Abbey at sundown by Lorraine Bullar, on Flickr

another low-light one from work

32094396571_4b2e025341_c.jpgThe Drum - HMRC/Treasury by Lorraine Bullar, on Flickr

Hadn't intended to show all low light ones lol. Maybe I should pick some others?! 

• 2 weeks later...