So, my wife finally kicked me out...

Rainmaker

...and into a 'shed'. She's been mildly irritated for months as my collection of car products and detailing gear grew, but to give her due credit she didn't complain too much. I'd taken over the floor-to-ceiling cupboard in the hallway, all of under the stairs and part of the dining room; all boxes full of decontamination, cleaning, polishing, glazing and sealing/waxing gear. Add in cloths, applicators, the pressure washer, DA and a pile of pads, buckets, mits, and what seems like entire manufacturer's ranges... Well, it was getting a bit silly (if only trying to find everything I needed for a particular car/day). 

I came home today to find she'd very kindly bought 'me' a storage shed for the garden, which I was informed would definitely be built and holding 'all that car stuff' within the hour. She wasn't messing! Now everything is neatly sorted into categories and close at hand, though the pressure washer, 10m PW hoses and my DA are still indoors for safe-keeping (it's only a plastic storage box). As best as I could manage, I've put all the cheap yet shiny/bright coloured stuff toward the front, so if any local kids do go mooching they'll hopefully be more attracted to the pretty colours rather than the - ironically - small and dull looking expensive stuff. Mostly Sonax, Gtechniq and Gyeon products with a few bargain basement wheel cleaners and whatnot mixed in, but I think it does the trick nicely. 

Thing is, I reckon this won't be the last shed. I only originally got into detailing to "save" myself £250 on a new car detail. Doing some fag packet maths on the contents of that shed, I'm doing it wrong... :D

Surely I'm not the only one so afflicted. Show me your storage sheds/boxes/racks!

20160818_182340.md.jpg

• Like 1

That shed is like the inside of my garage - loads of shelves all around the car crammed with stuff - I'm reknowned for being a hoarder (anyone else take screws out of things you're throwing away - just in case you need one the same size at some point in the future???)

However, I do like that as additional storage...

• Like 4

(anyone else take screws out of things you're throwing away - just in case you need one the same size at some point in the future???)

However, I do like that as additional storage...

Yep, and plugs, brackets, hinges etc. I have boxes full of it :(

Nice stock though, I got forced to move mine out into the shed, I've had to put shelves up and store them on the shelves, however, I've started cheating and I drive to the jet wash and use them there then once finished with the jet wash drive home to dress tyres and plastics etc.

• Like 1

You'll be pleased to know that there is no cure known to man for this, your only hope of salvation is to be bitten by the laziness bug  which will make you use car washes and super market wash while you shop merchants, this also keeps you away from bright lights and sunshine so that you don't see all the swirls in your paintwork!

I know what I'd rather have.....................;) 

Thanks everyone haha. :D Yes it's a bug right enough, not always convenient either. Sometimes when we're out and about my poor wife ends up rolling her eyes, because she's having to wait after I've just spotted a blemish. Straight to the boot, out comes the QD and a new MF and it has to be 'just so'. Course you go to all that effort and half an hour later you're back to find your car covered in bird bombs. :( 

I'd want to keep those bottles etc inside for frost protection; at a rough guess that's £350 worth at an average £10 a bottle.

We have quite a mild weather here luckily, at least usually. The 'shed' is thick formed plastic with honeycomb cavities so it shouldn't be really cold in there. I'll line it with some boards and a bit of insulation before winter kicks in. Good tip though, as I hadn't thought of that! :thumbup:

Suggestion - Now you have all this, and found a new hobby, how about making a few pennies doing it part time ?

You could recoup some pennies. :)

I would if I could mate lol. I'm full of arthritis, kidney disease and heart disease. Being honest I'm only so keen on doing my own because it's something I'm highly motivated to do, and so it ensures I get a good workout for my joints and the auld ticker at least once or twice a week. I'm usually house or bed bound for a day or two afterwards with the pain, but I just wouldn't trust anyone else to do it. Sad eh!

• Like 2

(anyone else take screws out of things you're throwing away - just in case you need one the same size at some point in the future???)

Yes, got a big biscuit tin of all sorts of bits and pieces that I may need sometime before I depart this earth. :D

I'd want to keep those bottles etc inside for frost protection; at a rough guess that's £350 worth at an average £10 a bottle.

Not only frost protection....many solvent-based products don't do well at high temperatures either.

• Like 1

Yes, got a big biscuit tin of all sorts of bits and pieces that I may need sometime before I depart this earth. :D

Just the one???  PAH...   You're not trying hard enough!!    :D

My stuff is so bad I've had to occupy part of a mates garage and I am now doing all my detailing there! :D

It is a ++ for me though as means I am out the elements - both the wet and the extreme heat (which isn't good for polishing!)

My last count I had a shelving rack full of stuff, plus 5 rolling toolboxes, plus pressure washer, LED lamp, plus odds and sods.

Haha good to see I'm not alone. It's well located on a south/east facing wall and is well insulated so no real worries there. It's either this or the bin because she was getting sick of falling over it all. :D

I need one of these storage sheds in my life...

It was £40 on eBay apparently mate, and came flat pack (5 min assembly by hand) from a British company. It's quite well made too, and has proven rain proof - thankfully.