another boot leak plus first post so take it easy lol

alright lads first post as above, just bought a vrs mk2 octavia last week getting it on the road Tuesday so trying to get it up to my spec. been using the forum until now to search for what i needed very handy! any way to this leak i noticed when i bought it ALOT of heavy mold in the boot with a bad smell and the person before me rather than fix it he or she took out the wheel bung to let it pass through! so i got to work stripped it out and held the hose pipe on the outside and found one(thought the only one) coming from the cd changer bolt that goes to the bumper(i think) so took it out cleaned it up full of rust and put some tiger seal around it then put it back in tight seems to have done the job that was when i got the car so having all this rain i thought i would check see if its dry but seems like 2 more leaks coming from the rear by the bumper? in both spots ether side looks like from 2 black sticky tabs but might be abit higher just wanted to see if any one els had a leak here? and the best fix(that does not cost stupid money) i will attempt to upload some photos thanks    

14089441_10210678314373145_901443147_n_z

14054758_10210678314093138_923799850_n_z

14111949_10210678315173165_849939582_n_z

14055630_10210678315293168_1593055989_n_

Some folk have found that adding some holes in the lower side of the boot seal has helped. The garage just replaced my boot seal and that cured my leak.

Damp boots are a common issue on the MkII Octavia, unfortunately there are several different likely sources.

The most common are:

1) Blocked rear washer jet. Pops off the pipe behind the CD multi-changer. Each time the rear wash is activated it fills the boot with washer fluid.

2) Boot seal. These hold water. Each time the boot lid is closed the water is forced into the boot from behind the trim.

3) Various bungs and grommets in and around the spare wheel well that perish and weep.

4) Rear light clusters. The foam seal that is squeezed against the car body when the light clusters are reattached can fail.

5) Poor repair of accident damage. There are vents on the lower rear quarters behind the bumper that balance out the air pressure (to allow the doors to shut). If these are broken they can allow water ingress.

Edited by silver1011

hmmm not sure as from the photos i found the leak just not 100% if its from them black sticky tabs or above them can i seal them off with some tiger seal? are they needed? that would rule that out for me if not then the boot seal, cars not beeing used yet so its stationery but still leaking in both the same spots on each side of the boot.

Damp boots are a common issue on the MkII Octavia, unfortunately there are several different likely sources.

The most common are:

1) Blocked rear washer jet. Pops off the pipe behind the CD multi-changer. Each time the rear wash is activated it fills the boot with washer fluid.

2) Boot seal. These hold water. Each time the boot lid is closed the water is forced into the boot from behind the trim.

3) Various bungs and grommets in and around the spare wheel well that perish and weep.

4) Rear light clusters. The foam seal that is squeezed against the car body when the light clusters are reattached can fail.

5) Poor repair of accident damage. There are vents on the lower rear quarters behind the bumper that balance out the air pressure (to allow the doors to shut). If these are broken they can allow water ingress.

are those air vent those black tabs in the photos? thanks for the reply 

Can't for the life of me find a picture of them on the Octavia, however they are very similar to lot's of other cars, so here is the Skoda Superb...

wp20150718105.jpg

And an Audi (the flappy vents under the sunroof drain)...

ext61_bumpclip.jpg

Looking at your pictures the leak looks higher up though. Are they looking in to the rear wing from inside the boot?

Can't for the life of me find a picture of them on the Octavia, however they are very similar to lot's of other cars, so here is the Skoda Superb...

wp20150718105.jpg

And an Audi (the flappy vents under the sunroof drain)...

ext61_bumpclip.jpg

Looking at your pictures the leak looks higher up though. Are they looking in to the rear wing from inside the boot?[/quotT

Thanks for that fella, but no mines at the rear where that plastic trim is running along on that photo of the one you just uploaded, I just found a thread where someone had a simpler problem with a leak like mine on both sides his was the seem under the boot rubber, the seem has split so he put tiger seal along and replaced it with the rubber, will have a look to morrow under the rubber but still bugging me what them holes are with black sticky tabs are?

• Like 1