Always loved Skoda but the new Leon....

whitep

Having been an owner of various Skodas for the last 10 years or so, my last Octavia was a but of a nightmare. Id just about get one problem sorted and another would rear its head. This I put down to having a Diesel, yes it was the PD170, but even without the DPF and EGR it was still spending more time in the garage than on the road.

Anyway, I decided it was time to get SWMBO a new car, we had an Audi A3 Diesel 2005 PD130 lump. Its been bullet proof apart from the 6 speed gearbox fail which is fairly common. Its currently on 185k, no smoke and pulls like a train. I am now driving it and have experienced sticky vane syndrome, so mr muscle will be being bought soon. But Anyway...

After knowing for a while she needed a new car the wife has been trying to decide what car to get next... French cars not even being considered. We decided petrol would be best to avoid any DPF issues which seem to plague all diesels nowadays at one point or another. We tried to like the Fords, but something about them just wasnt nice, the dash was plastic, th enew ones had power steering whine and they just seemed under powered to me.

We had been spending weekends looking at various cars around dealerships, I had my nose in a Quashquai when she said ooh I REALLY like this. Oh yes says I thinking its probably a C4 and she doesnt know what a french car is. I walk over reluctantly and realise its a 2013 Seat Leon FR.

I have liked the look these since they have been released but assumes since it doesnt have the 4 rings on its nose she wouldnt be interested but no she was determined to like this. Ufortunately this one was sold, so we focused our sights on these. I started reading up...

There were 2 engine options as far as I was concerned, the 1.4 150PS ACT and the 1.8 180PS Start/Stop. We drove the 1.4 with ACT which was nice, the ACT boosting the MPG to phenomenal figures. 52.4 while cruising down the A120 at 80 was quite impressive for a petrol. It was a very nice car. We were all set on this. Then I saw a 1.8 on Autotradr at a local dealership. We went to have a look.

The 1.8 with Tech pack are like hens teeth I am told. This one not being a shining example with 40k on the clock on a 2013 model. But we took it out anyway. It was muuuch nicer to drive than the 1.4. It had a lot more pull and got there quicker. The MPG was only 45 but still for a 1.8, 180PS PETROL lump still impressive.

We liked this more and forgot about the 1.4. OK the Tax is more for now and the MPG less, but before the Cupra this is currently the best engine you can get. Although the 2.0L ACT is on its way soon.

Anyway, we found and bought a 2013 1.8 FR with Tech pack in dark metallic blue, not Chav white which they all seem to be. Apologies if you have a white car. Its got a DSG box and most of all its my wifes car. I am stuck with a 13 year old A3 with tired suspension and a slow puncture.

The Leon has converted me, I want a Leon FR (or Cupra) Estate not, Petrol. They are so nice and running costs are probably less than a diesel because of the lack of DPF and other Europe imposed green technologies.

Also, its like the Leon has Sat Nav as standard. I had been looking for an Octavia with Sat Nav, but it seems people are too tight to spec it on the newer model. And the MPG is nowhere as good.

They are nice and they get better tech than the Skodas. I really like the LED headlights you get on the Leon!

Yes ours has LED's. The High/Dip beam setup is a bit weird, tilting up and down, but I am sure it is something I will get used to. My last few Octavia's all had Xenons, but the LED seems just as good.

Ive got the 1.4act FR with tech pack. The act annoys me a little bit as it has to sit in a certain rev range to kick in which is a bit to high to cruise in apart from that is a good car! Wouldnt mind a cupra next either!!

• 1 month later...

Currently very tempted by the Leon 1.4 FR manual.

Current car is Octavia 2 1.9 PD and don't want the hassle of a DPF so had almost settled on a one to two year old Octavia 3 1.4 TSI as next car, but specs/prices availability are swaying me towards the Leon.

Pity though that like the Octavia 1.4 the Leon 1.4 was denied IRS. (I know for a bit more money and road tax and a bit less fuel economy you can get a bit more performance and IRS with the scarcer 1.8 FR)

Any observations from folk with extended experience of driving both an Octavia 2 and a torsion beam rear suspension Octavia 3 /Leon/Golf?

My previous car was a 2003 cordoba. Dull 1.2 petrol.

bigget thing though is as always said - interior finish.

the plastics feel like easter egg cartons and not much going on.

Anyway, we found and bought a 2013 1.8 FR with Tech pack in dark metallic blue, not Chav white which they all seem to be. Apologies if you have a white car. Its got a DSG box and most of all its my wifes car. I am stuck with a 13 year old A3 with tired suspension and a slow puncture.

The Leon has converted me, I want a Leon FR (or Cupra) Estate not, Petrol. They are so nice and running costs are probably less than a diesel because of the lack of DPF and other Europe imposed green technologies.

Also, its like the Leon has Sat Nav as standard. I had been looking for an Octavia with Sat Nav, but it seems people are too tight to spec it on the newer model. And the MPG is nowhere as good.

I did have a look at these, but like you say - rare 2nd hand! How are you finding mixed/real-world economy on the 1.8?

Tech pack is the bit that gets you the nav fitted by the way. LED lights, nav and DAB are what you notice most from the pack; think there's a few other little bits included as well.

I know people don't like different interior/dash design sometimes, but can't agree with 'brittle' and 'poor quality' for the current generation Leon. Nowhere near.

• Like 1

I did have a look at these, but like you say - rare 2nd hand! How are you finding mixed/real-world economy on the 1.8?

Tech pack is the bit that gets you the nav fitted by the way. LED lights, nav and DAB are what you notice most from the pack; think there's a few other little bits included as well.

I get 42mpg driving it 20 miles each way 50:50 country lanes and minor A roads, I suspect it would be a lot better on a run. MPG drops is its raining, hot and dark because of the electrics and air con, but on a cool dry day its really good. And the stop start is something I have gotten used to, you can control it with the brake pedal so not the big deal lots make it out to be.

The interior is far from plastic and brittle as some have said. It is easily on par with the A3 it ousted, and the Octavia I got rid of.

My only grip is the power sockets, there is only 1 and it goes off with the ignition. It could do with 2 in the cabin and 1 in the boot for me and my family. My Octavia had that, though the A3 didnt. But the Octavia and A3 power sockets were permanent live. Much better.

Edited by whitep
  • Like 1

I'm on my second leon, First was a 2013 1.2 SE 5dr in silver(ex hire No tech pack) and my current is as my sig says(pic in avatar) which i have on a 3.5 year pcp and i love it, nice ride and handling (mine is the sandard 17" wheels) im getting roughly the same mpg i got in the 1.2 (around 47- 51 mpg) yet it is quicker and cruises nicely, the 1.2 had to be worked a bit harder but not too much.

The only thing i would of liked to have would be full link (though this can be retro-enabled by a dealer) and maybe leather seats...

• Like 1

My only grip is the power sockets, there is only 1 and it goes off with the ignition. It could do with 2 in the cabin and 1 in the boot for me and my family. My Octavia had that, though the A3 didnt. But the Octavia and A3 power sockets were permanent live. Much better.

You can swap the position of a fuse in the Leon to make the power socket live all the time, see here:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=402881

If the Mk3 hadn't grown again, I probably wouldn't have even considered a Leon. But I don't need something the size of the Mk3.

Back on considering business leases again anyway, so it'll probably be a Leon or a Mk7 Golf.

• Like 1

If the Mk3 hadn't grown again, I probably wouldn't have even considered a Leon. But I don't need something the size of the Mk3.

Back on considering business leases again anyway, so it'll probably be a Leon or a Mk7 Golf.

Yes the MK3 looks small but is big.

People at work took the preverbial out of me saying it was a girlie car etc (well it is SWMBO's) then I pointed out it was bigger than the focus, to which everyone scoffed and told me no way. Then they looked up the stats...

I think reading the reviews of the Mk3 it is the car to have, beating most rivals in its class with only the Astra (???) beating it in one review I read.

I still prefer the 13 year old A3 oil burner because I can seriously mistreat it and park wherever I want without a care in the world but the Mk3 Leon is by far one of the best cars I have owned, depending on what criteria I am marking it on. Oh and being the 1.9 TDi, if I run out of fuel I only need to find something that only slightly resembles a fuel of any kind to run it on.

Edited by whitep

I don't think it does look small, not when parked next to other stuff that is :)

It's academic for me anyway, because it would be shared with the other half, who has ruled she doesn't like it!

I don't think it does look small, not when parked next to other stuff that is :)

It's academic for me anyway, because it would be shared with the other half, who has ruled she doesn't like it!

She wants 4 rings?