Sensor for automatic headlights?

Where is it located as my headlights come on randomly during sunny days as well as nightime anyway plus occasionalmy a fault warning pops up that says.

Fault: automatic headlight fault.

Edited by fireman

It's behind the rear view mirror. Lights coming on during the day may not necessarily be a fault. The list are designed to come on under poor visibility conditions. The actual fault does of course seem to be a fault.

So if I blank off that sensor I now see in back of the mirror should the lights come on. Plus as I assume many people leave their lights like me in auto mode I'm not noticing anybody else headlights on during sunny days. Etc

Plus as I assume many people leave their lights like me in auto mode I'm not noticing anybody else headlights on during sunny days. Etc

My sensor annoys the $%^& out of me, my lights are forever coming on when im driving around in sunglasses. Cant even be dirt on the sensor, as my car is generally clean. Its the same on all the other Octavia's i see. Its almost laughable.

I refuse to use auto lights now.

So if I blank off that sensor I now see in back of the mirror should the lights come on. Plus as I assume many people leave their lights like me in auto mode I'm not noticing anybody else headlights on during sunny days. Etc

Yes, throw a towel or sth. over the front windshield (rear-view mirror area) and lights should come on. You can also check your setting in MIB for sensor sensitivity (early, medium, late) if that makes any difference - I have mine set to late.

The sensor itself is dead easy to access, remove, change.. I had only humidity sensor, so I retrofitted RLFS and after few times or removing and playing with it I could do it blindly with one hand. You need to remove the plastic that covers the rear-view mirror holder (you need to pull it off, a bit strength required), then you twist the mirror with mirror holder counter clock wise to remove it and beneath there you will see the sensor.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Update. Skoda fixed my car under warranty and replaced the light sensor that is apparently built into the windscreen aparature not the rear view mirror. No problems since but told the part was few hundred pounds if I had had to purchase it myself

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I have this warning popping up now. Wondering if it's a fault or needs cleaning etc. I'm going to try and see what I can do. Anyone got any experience with changing the sensor? This looks to be a replacement part, not too expensive... http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/skoda/oem-light-sensor-for-auto-headlight/#prettyPhoto

• 1 month later...

I "solved" my issue by giving the windscreen a good clean where the sensor is. Funny I didn't think of that first, but it didn't look dirty at all. Wondering if there was a thin film of something on there, but both auto lights and wipers ate working now. 

2 hours ago, OctaviaPanRoof said:

I "solved" my issue by giving the windscreen a good clean where the sensor is. Funny I didn't think of that first, but it didn't look dirty at all. Wondering if there was a thin film of something on there, but both auto lights and wipers ate working now. 

Sounds silly but even something like insects hitting the windscreen can confuse sensors. I'm sure all of us have experienced at one time our auto-wipers making the odd sweep when there's no rain. Cleaning the windscreen is always the 1st troubleshooting option.

I was having the same problem when I first bought my Scout - headlights were almost always on except on very sunny days.  Along with this my auto wipers were not working properly.

Managed to fix both at the same time while I was investigating the wiper problems:

The large plastic surround behind the rearview mirror can be removed easily (prise the upper part away and the lower part will then fall down.   

The problem with the wipers was that the rain sensor had also fallen away from the windscreen.  By tightening the clips for the rain sensor (bending the metal in a little bit) I solved the auto wiper problems.

At the same time I saw that the light sensor wasn't properly located against the windscreen (didn't think much of it at the time, but clipped it back in anyway).  I was pleasantly surprised to find that the auto lights were also working at sensible times - I think that if the sensor drops back then it is shaded by the coating on the screen.

All in all this took about 5 minutes and saved paying for a garage to look into it...

• Like 1

On 03/02/2018 at 11:24, Scot5 said:

Sounds silly but even something like insects hitting the windscreen can confuse sensors. I'm sure all of us have experienced at one time our auto-wipers making the odd sweep when there's no rain.

That's one reason I try to remember to turn the auto-wipers off when it's not raining. Another is the risk of frozen wipers in cold weather, although I prefer to cycle to work on frosty mornings.

3 minutes ago, Rodge said:

That's one reason I try to remember to turn the auto-wipers off when it's not raining. Another is the risk of frozen wipers in cold weather, although I prefer to cycle to work on frosty mornings.

The wipers don’t activate when you turn the car on, mitigating the risk of iced up wipers. They activate when you start moving. 

On ‎03‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 09:48, Bigtow said:

I was looking at this one as it does lights and wipers http://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/skoda/oem-5q0955547a-light-rain-sensor-for/?tpl=product_detail

but do you need a replacement silicone pad to stick it to the windscreen?

Have you found out how you vhange the rain/light sensor?

• Like 1

I need to change the rain/light sensor in the front. Did take my car innside my garage, took a towle over the sensor bang automatic headlight fault.

Dont remember the faulkt code now but i can find it. But it says that my sensor are the problem.

Somebody know how to change it? is it glued to the front window?

Cheers

Edited by StianOctavia
More info Faul code: B136604 Rain/Light Sensor Not working.

11 hours ago, StianOctavia said:

Have you found out how you vhange the rain/light sensor?

Yes I got a new one from the link I shared. Unclipped the plastic trim that runs down from the head lining to the mirror ( fiddley but doable) once that's done twist the mirror anti clockwise and the sensor is stuck to the screen there. Unclip the sensor but don't pull or off the screen straight away give it a few minutes for the gel pad to uncompress then carefully pull the sensor off the screen ( my gel pad stayed on the screen) clean everything with a alcohol wipe reattach the sensor wires and push back onto the screen and reclip it back on but don't reassemble anything until all the air bubbles have gone from between the screen and the pad if this do not happen after 10 min Unclip and refit the sensor. Once happy there are no air bubbles refit everything then get the car coded for auto wipers. Not had chance to fit the auto light switch or get mine coded yet as have been admitted to hospital for some tests and possible surgery

32 minutes ago, Bigtow said:

Yes I got a new one from the link I shared. Unclipped the plastic trim that runs down from the head lining to the mirror ( fiddley but doable) once that's done twist the mirror anti clockwise and the sensor is stuck to the screen there. Unclip the sensor but don't pull or off the screen straight away give it a few minutes for the gel pad to uncompress then carefully pull the sensor off the screen ( my gel pad stayed on the screen) clean everything with a alcohol wipe reattach the sensor wires and push back onto the screen and reclip it back on but don't reassemble anything until all the air bubbles have gone from between the screen and the pad if this do not happen after 10 min Unclip and refit the sensor. Once happy there are no air bubbles refit everything then get the car coded for auto wipers. Not had chance to fit the auto light switch or get mine coded yet as have been admitted to hospital for some tests and possible surgery

Nice then i have to try to fix this my self aswell. 

Do you need to program the sensor afterwards? 

On 2/12/2018 at 21:52, StianOctavia said:

Nice then i have to try to fix this my self aswell. 

Do you need to program the sensor afterwards? 

yes i think so and you may need a extra wire going from the empty socket on the rear of the light switch to the BCM but there are how too guides on here