Ambient Light assist retrofit.

Hi,

just got a great deal on an SE-L Executive, but it didn't have the ambient light option installed (doors n dash strips one). Does anyone know if (or has tried) it's possible to retrofit this? I've seen some videos on BMWs etc and it looks possible, but I'd like to stay OEM if possible.

Any hints greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Has no one looked at this, or am I being very naughty for asking?

I would think that this is a hardware and software option as the led strips are built into the dash board and doors, along with the door handle led lights, I specified this for my SEL EXEC, I have dad a good look at the LED strips, but not had the opportunity to look at an Superb with does not have it.

I would imagine the cost would be horrendous, you may even need replacement door cards if your current ones will not accept the LED strips?

You really need to study ETKA (the parts ‘catalogue’) to see if they use different door cards, door card trims, dash or dash trims, if they are the same then it shouldn’t be too great a job to do, but again it will not be a cheap retro-fit. 

You need KESSY before you can have ambient lighting. This is either a rip off by the manufacturers or there is an electrical issue involved as well. You choose.....

You need KESSY before you can have ambient lighting. This is either a rip off by the manufacturers or there is an electrical issue involved as well. You choose.....

You didn't need Kessy originally. The first order cars it was just an independent option.

I had the LED lighting pack added when i ordered my SEL back in July 2015, KESSY was not a requirement at that time.\

Rip-off then, I guess.

• 2 months later...

Just discovered ambient lighting is missing off my new car which just arrived at the dealer today.  It was listed in the brochure when ordering but then shortly after it was changed to an option on the Style (SE L) but only with KESSY as stated above so my build fell into the latter category.  Really disappointed as I have nice ambient lighting on my MKII so won't be quite the same.  Was thinking of a retrofit but wouldn't make sense really given that there is hardware involved as well.  Will just have to use it as bargaining power to squeeze a few quid off or get some free servicing...

Just discovered ambient lighting is missing off my new car which just arrived at the dealer today.  It was listed in the brochure when ordering but then shortly after it was changed to an option on the Style (SE L) but only with KESSY as stated above so my build fell into the latter category.  Really disappointed as I have nice ambient lighting on my MKII so won't be quite the same.  Was thinking of a retrofit but wouldn't make sense really given that there is hardware involved as well.  Will just have to use it as bargaining power to squeeze a few quid off or get some free servicing...

What will you miss from your Mk. II? I came from a 3T as well, and the interior lights in the 3V without ambient lights are almost the same. I have illuminated door handles, footwell lights, buttons in interior light, adjuster for air outlets and all that. The only thing the 3T had, that the 3V does not, are the two diodes in the interior light called "CatVision".

• Like 1

What will you miss from your Mk. II? I came from a 3T as well, and the interior lights in the 3V without ambient lights are almost the same. I have illuminated door handles, footwell lights, buttons in interior light, adjuster for air outlets and all that. The only thing the 3T had, that the 3V does not, are the two diodes in the interior light called "CatVision".

I really like the two diodes and its a shame they are not there anymore.  That sounds encouraging if you still have all those lights although the specs are very different between the markets. I'll have a proper look at the car today anyway.

Spoke to the dealer re the missing LED ambient lighting and they offered some extra services in lieu of this.   I didn't get a service pack with the car but as part of the original deal I was getting half of the first three services covered so they will now cover the first three in full plus a few extra bits as well so in fairness they at least acknowledged the issue and put something towards it.

• Like 2

You are taking this a lot better than I would, I'd be fuming because (a) of Skoda changing the spec by stealth again & (b) the sales guy should have known & flagged it. The Ambience Lighting really makes the inside of the car for me & that was a big draw for me with the Superb over the Passat. Did your car gain any thing that wasn't in the MY16 Spec?? Did you get a photo of your car Superb170?

You are taking this a lot better than I would, I'd be fuming because (a) of Skoda changing the spec by stealth again & ( B) the sales guy should have known & flagged it. The Ambience Lighting really makes the inside of the car for me & that was a big draw for me with the Superb over the Passat. Did your car gain any thing that wasn't in the MY16 Spec?? Did you get a photo of your car Superb170?

Don't worry I was really annoyed about it and the dealer knew that as well.  It was a grey area (as specs changed the week I ordered) and one which they did actually flagged themselves during the build process.  Basically, they were trying to get confirmation from the factory / Skoda Ireland but, as we've seen so many times before, nobody seems to be able to confirm anything until they physically have the car.  As I said before,  how these things are handled makes all the difference.  They were apologetic straight away and told me about the lighting as soon as the car arrived in which makes a change from the arrogance and total denial I've had in the past from dealers on some issues.  While it still leaves me a bit p****d off, I'm not as angry with the dealer after being upfront and offering some compensation immediately.  I'm going to try not let it annoy me too much although it is bugging me a bit.  Tt can't be retrofitted so not sure how it could be resolved from a hardware point of view, apart from ripping the car apart with new inserts, rewiring etc and I'm not going down that route.

Not sure if any other spec has changed.  I couldn't see anything different when I checked the car yesterday. Photos here, I stuck them into an older thread I had started a few months ago.....

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/414129-decision-made-and-order-placed/

Edited by Superb170
  • Like 1

You are taking this a lot better than I would, I'd be fuming because (a) of Skoda changing the spec by stealth again & ( B) the sales guy should have known & flagged it. The Ambience Lighting really makes the inside of the car for me & that was a big draw for me with the Superb over the Passat. Did your car gain any thing that wasn't in the MY16 Spec?? Did you get a photo of your car Superb170?

Quick question, apart from the LED strips, what else is lit up (internally) at night in yours?  Is it just the footwells?  I will miss the LED diodes from the MKII

• Like 1

Quick question, apart from the LED strips, what else is lit up (ibeautiful) at night in yours? Is it just the footwells? I will miss the LED diodes from the MKII

Apologies for only getting back to you now, I was off line. Just saw the pictures you posted, the car looks fab! That colour is beautiful with the sun shining off it & goes very well with the beige interior. You have the right attitude & sure you have to look forward as you or Skoda can't physically do anything about it now apart from them offering you some compensation that you are happy with, which they have. I'm certain that you will love the car anyway.

In regards to what lights up, all the footwells do (& you can adjust the brightness) the door handles illuminate also & they all have a crisp white colour as they are LED's, as are the interior roof lights. Inside the armrest storage has a light also. The inside of the car looks lovely at night IMO.

Hope this helps....

Edited by Rebelred

Apologies for only getting back to you now, I was off line. Just saw the pictures you posted, the car looks fab! That colour is beautiful with the sun shining off it & goes very well with the beige interior. You have the right attitude & sure you have to look forward as you or Skoda can't physically do anything about it now apart from them offering you some compensation that you are happy with, which they have. I'm certain that you will love the car anyway.

In regards to what lights up, all the footwells do (& you can adjust the brightness) the door handles illuminate also & they all have a crisp white colour as they are LED's, as are the interior roof lights. Inside the armrest storage has a light also. The inside of the car looks lovely at night IMO.

Hope this helps....

Thanks for that. I couldn't see the lights on the door handles though. When you say interior lights I presume they only illuminate on entry/exit?
  • Like 1

Thanks for that. I couldn't see the lights on the door handles though. When you say interior lights I presume they only illuminate on entry/exit?

Yes, that's correct Superb170

Yes, that's correct Superb170

The (inside) door handles are lit whenever the lights are on.

• Like 1

The (inside) door handles are lit whenever the lights are on.

It's the interior roof lights that come on when the car's unlocked/ a door opened that we were referring to but yes, you're correct about the door handle lights also...

Edited by Rebelred
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, I hope I at least have the door handle lights anyway and adjustable footwell lights as it will be a very dark cabin otherwise.  The dealer said they couldn't see any menu to adjust the brightness of the footwell lights however, I assume there must be one and they just couldn't find it.

Thanks guys, I hope I at least have the door handle lights anyway and adjustable footwell lights as it will be a very dark cabin otherwise.  The dealer said they couldn't see any menu to adjust the brightness of the footwell lights however, I assume there must be one and they just couldn't find it.

You can on the UK spec L&K my2016 models using a menu in the infotainment system, not sure about Style spec in Ireland.

• Like 1

You can on the UK spec L&K my2016 models using a menu in the infotainment system, not sure about Style spec in Ireland.

You could on the Style models built earlier in the year but between model year changes, different market specs etc, there is not hard and fast rule anymore for spec .  I'll have a proper look when I collect the car in the early days of January and will update then.

You could on the Style models built earlier in the year but between model year changes, different market specs etc, there is not hard and fast rule anymore for spec .  I'll have a proper look when I collect the car in the early days of January and will update then.

That's mad when the spec changes so you don't know what you are getting, my Brother had similar problems with his MY 2016 Octavia VRS TSI, in a good way he paid for the Amundsen upgrade but it came free with the car so got a refund, but lost the CD Player as the Amundsen unit he got was the larger unit where the CD (if you had it) is moved to the glovebox and all be got was a blanking plate that looked like a CD Player and 2 SD Card slots one of which has to have the Sat Nav SD Card in it for the Sat Nav to work and the other can be used to play music. He didn't have an SD Card writer so asked Skoda how he was going to play his music, they said use the CD so he said what CD, it would seem that Skoda UK didn't know about the upgrade either! Skoda gave him an allowance to purchase a SD reader/writer and an SD Card so it all ended OK in the end. Thats the issue with being an early adopter of either a new model year or an upgraded model, you never know what you might get!  

Edited by Prykey
  • Like 1