Disappointing ride quality

Lol6

I started this thread and had become so hacked off with being bounced or jolted around I was on the verge of trying to sell the car. The last throw of the dice was to take it to my local dealer for them to check whether the dealer from where I bought the car had removed the suspension blocks from the front springs as I was assured they had.

Well, indeed they had, on one wheel only! Now the car has three inches more suspension travel on the side where the offending blocks were it is utterly transformed and now I can see why people rave about the car so much. The car rides beautifully now. I think I might have a quiet word in the original dealer's ear...........

An update:

My dealer advised the pdi was carried out by two master technicians and followed up by a quality control check so how could they miss this? I can recall the same problem with Ford Sierras in the 1980's so it is not new and such an obvious thing to check carefully, most importantly from a safety point of view if nothing else. The car is fine in most respects and I am increasingly happy with it but this has been missed so frequently it is thoroughly bad for Skoda's business reputation. I am being compensated adequately for the failure but Skoda would do well to sort this once and for all and judging by comments from others on different issues, improve the efficiency of their general administration if they are to retain or enhance their market share.

Sounds like this should be a box to be ticked on the PDI Sheet and then a confirmation signature that this has been done!

The "Master Technicians" need to go back to "school", each probably thought the other had done the job! 

The Quality Control person needs to find a more appropriate job, such as collecting up the suspension transit blocks after each PDI and counting them to make sure that none are left in ;)

Edited by Prykey
  • Like 1

Sounds like this should be a box to be ticked on the PDI Sheet and then a confirmation signature that this has been done!

The "Master Technicians" need to go back to "school", each probably thought the other had done the job! 

The Quality Control person needs to find a more appropriate job, such as collecting up the suspension transit blocks after each PDI and counting them to make sure that none are left in ;)

I have a copy of the pdi sheet. There is a box to be ticked. It was. The form then has to be signed off - by two different people. It was. You are probably right about one person not knowing what the other was doing but for the blocks to be left in on one side only?

We all make mistakes, I accept that totally, but this is a safety issue, and it is happening far too often at Skoda.

All blocks missed... fair enough staff training....

50% of blocks missed... guy has been broke off his job or been for lunch forgetting about it..

Surely there should be a bucket... 4 blocks go in here, confirm - sign.

simple process for a simple job.

• Like 1

Here is the scenario that I bet happens plenty of times across main dealers of all ilk.

OK Bob I have completed the pdi on that Superb.

Tell me Jim, did you take out the transit blocks.

Course I did Bob don't you trust me then?

Yeh of course just checking, where's the sheet .

Bob signs the sheet.

And Is QC about; checking everything again; spot checking one or two bits or just checking that the paperwork is correct? 

Mistakes happen but in this case what is unforgivable, and must be reported to Skoda UK, is the failure to spot they were still in place when asked to check. It needs reporting because it does show a complete failure in the dealership with safety implications for the end user and other road users.

So have the details and evidence been reported to Skoda UK? If not please do so as soon as possible.

• Like 1

The cars come with a rear view mirror hanger saying they are in transit mode with suspension blocks in.

And clearly no-one ever removes the hangar "meaning to remove the blocks next", despite all evidence to the contrary.

Here is the scenario that I bet happens plenty of times across main dealers of all ilk.

OK Bob I have completed the pdi on that Superb.

Tell me Jim, did you take out the transit blocks.

Course I did Bob don't you trust me then?

Yeh of course just checking, where's the sheet .

Bob signs the sheet.

And Is QC about; checking everything again; spot checking one or two bits or just checking that the paperwork is correct? 

Mistakes happen but in this case what is unforgivable, and must be reported to Skoda UK, is the failure to spot they were still in place when asked to check. It needs reporting because it does show a complete failure in the dealership with safety implications for the end user and other road users.

So have the details and evidence been reported to Skoda UK? If not please do so as soon as possible.

Wise words and your point is well taken. However, I believe there is a bigger picture to consider as this goes wider than my situation alone and quite probably wider than just Skoda Superbs. There has been a significant number of people on the Superb forum who have complained about this problem and while I have no certainty whether the same issue has occurred with other makes of Skoda I strongly suspect it will have done. In the final analysis it is a dangerous mistake to make with potentially horrific consequences.

Be in no doubt that I will report this to Skoda UK and urge anyone who has suffered a similar experience to do the same. Before I do, I wish to correspond with the dealer principle from my dealership and ask what additional steps are being taken to ensure this can never happen again on the basis that if any suggestions they may have are sound this can be fed back to Skoda UK for a memorandum to be issued to all Skoda dealerships.

I have no compunction about complaining but would like this to be constructive and for the benefit of all.

Finally, the "unlike" I put on your note was unintended. I am hopeless with computers and pushed the wrong button. Apologies!

• Like 1

@lol6. No worries, it is showing as a like on my profile  :thumbup:

Fully agree with your objective approach to the issue. I was just concerned to make sure it was going to get reported to Skoda UK as a general failing at more than one location.

Yesterday I took delivery of my first Skoda, an estate 2.0TDI SE 150PS!  

And I have only this morning discovered BRISKODA, and spent a happy 2 hours finding out what I have bought.  I researched spare wheels, which I forgot to order, also how to level the boot floor, which I had not realised was NOT level!  (I am going to cut a sheet of 2" or 3" polystyrene to put under the floor).

I too am concerned the delivery suspension blocks are still in place:  My first drive took in a poor lane across the Somerset levels, a local road I often use.  I was hoping to be able to rather faster than the usual knowing I now have "soft" suspension.  But no, the noise of the front suspension bottoming was alarming!  A really sudden shock.  I will avoid the road in future.  

Secondly, I am unable to press down on the front suspension at all.  The rear springs can be pushed with ease.

But thirdly, the ride is comfortable at all other times, so I don't know...

I have inspected the front struts and tried to lift the plastic corrugated covers from the springs (or dampers) but no sign of polystyrene blocks.

My Skoda lease company is miles away, but I will call them on Monday, but what do I say?  I don't know if there is any fault.

Yesterday I took delivery of my first Skoda, an estate 2.0TDI SE 150PS!  

And I have only this morning discovered BRISKODA, and spent a happy 2 hours finding out what I have bought.  I researched spare wheels, which I forgot to order, also how to level the boot floor, which I had not realised was NOT level!  (I am going to cut a sheet of 2" or 3" polystyrene to put under the floor).

I too am concerned the delivery suspension blocks are still in place:  My first drive took in a poor lane across the Somerset levels, a local road I often use.  I was hoping to be able to rather faster than the usual knowing I now have "soft" suspension.  But no, the noise of the front suspension bottoming was alarming!  A really sudden shock.  I will avoid the road in future.  

Secondly, I am unable to press down on the front suspension at all.  The rear springs can be pushed with ease.

But thirdly, the ride is comfortable at all other times, so I don't know...

I have inspected the front struts and tried to lift the plastic corrugated covers from the springs (or dampers) but no sign of polystyrene blocks.

My Skoda lease company is miles away, but I will call them on Monday, but what do I say?  I don't know if there is any fault.

Welcome to the forum .

You should be able to push down on the front suspension and have movement.

jeffco, You can take your car to any Skoda dealership to check for the blocks, you do not have to take it to where you bought it from.

Thanks you both for the advice.  Rick TT, I have learned a great deal from your many posts!

I am newly retired and have had a company car for years, so not used to looking after my own.   That is perhaps why I went for leasing.

My hobby is model aircraft, and I collected my friend this morning and we loaded more planes than ever, with space for more!  THAT'S why I chose the Superb.  Also the low cost.  And the quality, I am impressed so far.  Only done 80 miles!

I will go to the dealer in Weston Super Mare during the week, and will let you know the outcome.

• Like 1

Surprised to hear about the ride quality on your new Superb. I've had two Octavias and have now done 6000 miles in my new Superb estate 150 diesel business - I bought my first new Octavia six years ago and have stuck with Skoda since then. Amongst the cars I've had in the past are 3 Mazdas, 2 BMW's, 2 Mercedes, 3 Volvos and a few too many others to mention.

From my own experience I have been incredibly impressed with all of my Skodas. The best yet is the Superb.  Fast, quiet, economical, comfortable and better than many cars costing thousands more.

I suggest you buy yourself another Mazda and stop moaning.

Not necessarily. Our outgoing Mazda 6 (2015 model) was just right in my eyes. Firm, supportive, flexible chassis and you could really feel the road through it without it going to excess. Direct steering and decent feedback made it a nice driver's car, albeit I wish it had more power (145ps 2.0 NA petrol). In comparison the Superb is a bit too wallowy for my tastes, and really betrays its size in the bends. My wife, conversely, thought the Mazda was spine-jarringly hard and the Superb is just right... Same two cars (not even just two 'of' the same car), but two very different perceptions. I want the Skoda engine in the Mazda shell with the NA throttle response. :D

How did you find the Mazda 6 in terms of road/wind noise? 

I'm looking at a 2.2D 175ps SportNav estate vs a 150ps Superb Sportline hatch and I fully expect the 6 to be a nicer drive but I'm put off by reports of awful road noise but at least they have a new model with 'improved' panel gaps, door seals and insulation.   Having the choice again, which would you buy, 6 or Superb? 

I've just booked a test drive of the Superb for this Thursday.  The one in the showroom was a 280ps petrol and it was bloody lovely in business grey.  I was really impressed with the overall quality too.  

• Administrators

I tested the superb in Scotland on a mix of roads at a mix of paces ;)

Rally car it is not, comfortable it was. Definitely get it checked out if you're not happy. All things mechanical have or can have faults in fabrication. I had some very expensive ( relative ) shocks and found them to be leaking, but only after taking them apart... only a niggling doubt made me investigate.

@Škoda haters club, got it... wrong place though.

• Like 2

I'm looking at a 2.2D 175ps SportNav estate vs a 150ps Superb Sportline hatch and I fully expect the 6 to be a nicer drive but I'm put off by reports of awful road noise but at least they have a new model with 'improved' panel gaps, door seals and insulation.   Having the choice again, which would you buy, 6 or Superb? 

I've just booked a test drive of the Superb for this Thursday.  The one in the showroom was a 280ps petrol and it was bloody lovely in business grey.  I was really impressed with the overall quality too.  

I also looked at the Mazda 6 estate when considering a Superb and the Mazda (I was offered £6,500 off a new 175 auto sport nav) was no where near the quality - I was quite disappointed by the test drive as I really liked the look of the Mazda. The mazda reminded me of an old volvo estate (very sluggish even though it was a 175d auto that had only done 3k miles), the Bose stereo was really bad quality (just google this and there are loads of complaints) also, the build quality poor - when you get in one just push the centre armrest sideways - the whole console is loose (tried this on several cars - all the same so a build issue).  Also, the rear legroom is much smaller and if you compare the equipment compared to the Skoda it is poor.

As I said I was disappointed as it was the car I thought I would end up with. I have ordered a SEL Exec 190 dsg estate superb. Other problem is that Mazda don't do a hatchback.

I also looked at the Mazda 6 estate when considering a Superb and the Mazda (I was offered £6,500 off a new 175 auto sport nav) was no where near the quality - I was quite disappointed by the test drive as I really liked the look of the Mazda. The mazda reminded me of an old volvo estate (very sluggish even though it was a 175d auto that had only done 3k miles), the Bose stereo was really bad quality (just google this and there are loads of complaints) also, the build quality poor - when you get in one just push the centre armrest sideways - the whole console is loose (tried this on several cars - all the same so a build issue).  Also, the rear legroom is much smaller and if you compare the equipment compared to the Skoda it is poor.

As I said I was disappointed as it was the car I thought I would end up with. I have ordered a SEL Exec 190 dsg estate superb. Other problem is that Mazda don't do a hatchback.

Yes, overall quality of the 6 is an issue and my biggest reservation; though Mazda at least seem to have made an effort to rectify problems outside of the cars usual lifecycle.  The Sport Nav spec has had 3 separate rounds of improvements.  Most of the reviews I've seen say the Superb is the better quality product, the 6 is nicer to drive and the Passat is the middle ground but unless you get the 'R' trim level the Passat is mind numbingly dull!   Having just spent a bit of time in my local Skoda dealer and having a good prod and poke of the Sportline hatch I must say I'm very surprised by just how close it was to the A6 in terms of perceived quality.   Also, as you say, for a practical boot then I'd have to opt for the 6 estate whereas the Superb's hatch gives me the same practicality as my current Leon ST. 

The Mazda 6 2.2D 175ps SportNav estate had terrible road noise when I had fleet loaners (estate and saloon) on extended test drives a couple of years back, especially on rough road surfaces like ridged concrete (e.g. M25 south) -- most of the noise was from the rear wheels, and the estate was a lot worse than the saloon. It was so bad that I wouldn't even consider getting one.

Edited by IanJD