Misting front shock absorbers

Anyone managed to have these replaced under warranty? Said job has just been knocked back by Henrys in Glasgow. I would have thought a misting part was a failing part and should be replaced. Managed to get the other shock replaced although it was noted to be fully leaking on its MOT failure.

Thanks in advance

A bit more info might not go amiss... What car have you got? How old is it? How many miles has it done?

What do you mean by misting? What is a misting part?

The fact you had an MOT suggest it's out of it's warranty period therefore repairs/replacements won't usually by carried out free of charge by the dealer/Skoda.

I'd be surprised if you get them done under warranty. I only say this as when I had transport blocks left in one of my shock absorbers, I asked for it to be noted in case of future problems. I was told that they were only under warranty for 6 months.

However, good luck with the issue - I hope you get them sorted :)

• Like 1

Anyone managed to have these replaced under warranty? Said job has just been knocked back by Henrys in Glasgow. I would have thought a misting part was a failing part and should be replaced. Managed to get the other shock replaced although it was noted to be fully leaking on its MOT failure.

Thanks in advance

Check this topic...is yours the same?

In my case the dealer contacted the hungarian importer and I was told that such leakage is "acceptable" and they will not change them under warranty. Only if it gets worse.

To tell the truth the situ got better over time. Now I am at 150.000 kms and the leakage is barely visible. Car is stable while (hard) cornering, so no worries here...

I'd be surprised if you get them done under warranty. I only say this as when I had transport blocks left in one of my shock absorbers, I asked for it to be noted in case of future problems. I was told that they were only under warranty for 6 months.

However, good luck with the issue - I hope you get them sorted :)

I had this exact problem, and i asked it to be noted for future failure and got no responce, they are garrenteed for 6 months that is no time at all.

• Like 1

It's an instruction that apparently has come down from skoda uk, only leaking shocks are to be changed under warranty. Misting does not count as leaking but surely it's the same problem to a lesser extent?

Most of the VAG companies have the same policy, they will only replace leaking not misting shock absorbers.

Even though, as you say, misting is just the early stages of leaking.

What if the fuel tank is misting? Same policy applies?

Brake fluid misting, would you accept the risk?

A fluid leak is a leak whether small or large.

Maybe they just trying it on as they know your warranty is almost expired and at some future time they will then declare the shocks leaking...thus presenting you with a bill?

Correct my ignorance but I thought shocks were replaced in pairs? Pairs on the same axle?

Even by MOT standards the dampers have to be dripping before they are deemed as a safety issue.

Dampers are classed as wear and tear items by most manufacturers and a light misting of oil is by no means grounds for a replacement.

If they were causing a heavy knock due to complete failure and they had clearly burst then that would be fair enough.

Have you got any pictures?

• Like 1

A lass at work put her 2 year old fiesta with 24,000 miles on in to our local dealer for a service & they rang her to tell her both front shock absorbers showed signs of misting & needed to be replaced,i pointed out to her that the car has a years warranty left & these should be covered,we went down,service manager showed us the leaking shocks,i pointed out they should be replaced by the warranty if they are that bad......next minute it was warranty wont cover them but they will probably be ok until the next service....just keep a eye on them..... :devil:

I don't get it. How can a component be under warranty for only 6 months when the whole car is for 3 years?

The warranty on "wear & tear" items (i.e. items that are not designed to last the design life of the vehicle, such as tyres, clutches, brake pads, shock absorbers, etc.) is always much shorter than on any other item.

The warranty on "wear & tear" items (i.e. items that are not designed to last the design life of the vehicle, such as tyres, clutches, brake pads, shock absorbers, etc.) is always much shorter than on any other item.

I can understand that fully for tyres, brake pads and clutches (depending somewhat also on driving style - or lack of)  but shock absorbers?

I've never ever had one go wrong in all the umpteen different cars I've had in the last fifty years!!

Edited by ednmra

I can understand that fully for tyres, brake pads and clutches (depending somewhat also on driving style - or lack of)  but shock absorbers?

I've never ever had one go wrong in all the umpteen different cars I've had in the last fifty years!!

I don't decide the list of "wear & tear" items - the car manufacturers do, often based on historical data which will show that a shock absorber has a design life of less than 100,000 miles but the car has a design life of in excess of 250,000 miles and hence they become a "wear & tear" item.

Note "design life" not actual life when not subject to abuse.

Edited by PetrolDave

Fair enough, in that case the shock absorbers should be covered for the three year warranty period so long as the car hasn't exceeded, say 90,000 miles in that time, and has a regular service record. In 3 years mine will have done about 14K miles and I would not be too happy if something like a shock absorber had reached the end of its useful life in that time.

Many items are considered wear & tear. My VRS' clutch started slipping after just 14K miles and the Dealer said claimed it was "wear & tear", so charged me £850 for replacement. Luckily I kept the old parts and identifued an extermely obvious manufacturing-defect. Skoda and the Dealer were forced to pay back replacement costs + expenses.

Saying that, you will be hard-pressed to fine a more incompotent Dealership than mine (Essex Auto Group). Hopefully your Dealer will be more supportive.

• Like 2

Just had it confirmed by skoda U.K. Customer services that it won't be covered. They couldn't explain how misting is not leaking in a sealed unit.

Total waste of time dealing with them . Warranties are the biggest waste of space, cheeky gets even wanted me to extend the warranty on the car

They obviously don't want to keep existing customers happy. Silly billies - I'd start looking at a different make for future purchases, never mind another dealer.

BTW, Just got a call from my dealer cancelling my service booked for tomorrow because they had no courtesy cars left.

No courtesy car !!? What are all those lumps of metal strewn all over their premises?

Funny, I thought they were cars.