Car Supermarkets.

threadbear

Was chatting to a workmate today at work who was raving on about how his daughter bought a Toyota Aygo from a well known West London car supermarket.

He enthused on about the massive choice, efficient hassle free process of purchase and the reliability of the car.

I have looked at Octavia's, Golf's, Civic's and Cee'ds etc and the prices are definitely favourable compared to franchised dealers.

So, has anyone dealt with these establishments and had a good or unfavourable experience? Does the price reflect the quality of the cars? For instance I found a nice looking A3 but it had no service history. Obviously that was why the price was favourable!

I look forward to comments.

Edited by threadbear

I imagine some car supermarkets differ in their approach from others. I have bought vehicles from them, but I was still bombarded with sales pressure for GAP insurance, extended warranties and bloody Lifeshine type cr@p which I didn't want.

Admittedly some years ago, a mechanic friend of mine turned down a job at one local to me after it was revealed to him at interview exactly how many corners were cut during their "50 point checklist" process!

Look with your eyes open. I doubt they are much worse than the other large multi-franchise groups.

I know people that are happy and are repeat customers of car supermarkets. Have heard some horror stories as well usually in aftersales.

As above, plus I'd think that you would not need to be picky about which model/type you were going in to buy, and be aiming just to get a cheaper car for getting from A > B full stop.

See, that is the very problem with most of us, we will tend to have a very definite idea of what we want and what we expect from what we buy.

Maybe clever(er) people out there just play the market and buy a reasonable car that exists in huge numbers secondhand - and they could benefit from car supermarket shopping.

Edit:- now if you car shopped by size and colour - why not go to a car supermarket ( I know someone who got his A6 and wife's Golf taken from their house using the car keys - break-in - his wife seems to have a purple C3 now - I think that is buying by size and colour!)

Edited by rum4mo

I imagine some car supermarkets differ in their approach from others. I have bought vehicles from them, but I was still bombarded with sales pressure for GAP insurance, extended warranties and bloody Lifeshine type cr@p which I didn't want.

Admittedly some years ago, a mechanic friend of mine turned down a job at one local to me after it was revealed to him at interview exactly how many corners were cut during their "50 point checklist" process!

Ditto the first statement.

And you can imagine the 50 point list -

1. Is it a car?

2. Does it have a bonnet?

3. Is there an engine under the bonnet?

4. Does it have wheels?

5. Are there tyres on the wheels?

6. Does it have doors?

7. Dot the doors open?

8. Do the doors close?

9. Does it have a windscreen?

10. Etc, etc, etc...

• Like 1

Thank you for all the comments so far. I noticed the gap insurance, extended warranty, paintwork, plugs on each page I looked at. If you were to add that on you wouldn't be far off franchised dealer prices especially for some Octavia's. 

I don't think it would be a place for a serious financial purchase. I remember going to White City maybe 20 years ago and there was some right old bangers in there!

My brother in law used to own one of the largest car supermarkets in the North.

They sourced their cars from auctions and manufacturers the same as every other dealer.

Their lower prices and deals merely reflected lower overheads and a stack them high,sell them cheap business model.

They had many  repeat customers. (including me...)

Thank you for all the comments so far. I noticed the gap insurance, extended warranty, paintwork, plugs on each page I looked at. If you were to add that on you wouldn't be far off franchised dealer prices especially for some Octavia's. 

I don't think it would be a place for a serious financial purchase. I remember going to White City maybe 20 years ago and there was some right old bangers in there!

Franchised dealers do this too!

I disagree over the second bit. One round here, Fords of Winsford (no personal connection), has been going for years, still family owned, and has an excellent reputation.

• Like 2

Franchised dealers do this too!

I disagree over the second bit. One round here, Fords of Winsford (no personal connection), has been going for years, still family owned, and has an excellent reputation.

I have to agree with you, I purchased a Mondeo from Winsford in '08 at avery good price & kept it for another 6 years.

Good service, initial problems with the car were sorted very promptly & at no cost to us.

DC

Purchased my A4 from one when it was 3 ears old.

One owner, low miles, perfect condition and a beautiful car to drive.

I would buy again.

Ditto the first statement.

And you can imagine the 50 point list -

1. Is it a car?

2. Does it have a bonnet?

3. Is there an engine under the bonnet?

4. Does it have wheels?

5. Are there tyres on the wheels?

6. Does it have doors?

7. Dot the doors open?

8. Do the doors close?

9. Does it have a windscreen?

10. Etc, etc, etc...

osf wheel, check. nsf wheel, check. nsr wheel, check, osr wheel, check. osf tyre, check. nsf tyre, check. nsr tyre, check. osr tyre, check.

osf parking light, check. And so on, and on, and on..................

That's more like it.

• Like 1

osf wheel, check. nsf wheel, check. nsr wheel, check, osr wheel, check. osf tyre, check. nsf tyre, check. nsr tyre, check. osr tyre, check.

osf parking light, check. And so on, and on, and on..................

That's more like it.

Thats the normal for any "xx point check".

I assume (with all inherent dangers) that car supermarkets will offer the best deals for the most common cars especially ex-hire and ex-company so lots of Vauxhall and Ford repmobiles, small French ex rentals.

If you're looking for something very specific or want to haggle you probably won't get taken on. Doubt the salesguys will be interested unless you're looking to buy there and then.

My mate has bought several from Motorpoint in Glasgow. His were imported Cypriot cars. So left hand drive but not necessarily UK spec, and without the 2nd and 3rd years of the warranty. Not sure of underbody protection etc was affected by them being Cypriot.

His Pathfinder rotted but that is an issue with them anyway.

He also bought a Galaxy from Arnold Clark but they 'forgot' to mention it was accident damaged even though they repaired it. That was returned.

I went for a nosey (zero intention of buying) at a car at Arnold's 'Motorstore' in EK - car was two years old and under 20,000 miles but the alloys were a total mess - very badly kerbed and with large areas of lacquer peel (looked like they'd been washed in sulphuric acid).

• Like 1

I too have bought more than one, over the years from   F.o.W   thoroughly recommended,  however I once got dragged over to Northampton  to look at a car for someone else  the place was a joke ,grudging test drive,  no petrol in car, 10 minutes buggering about to find 1/2 gall in a can,  told "can't go too far"   test drive on the nearby dual carriageway  was hair raising due to the large quantity of either gear or damper oil on the back tyre     and useless /incompetent salesman (in after school?)  who had to refere to base every 2 minutes  (some guy @boss central who looked like a thug)    then asked if I would buy if they promised to fix  it,  waste of time and fuel     p.s. watch out also for the ones who are really only doing finance but with the bonus of a car thrown in :finger:    P.S.  Arnold shark are a joke too    just ask for a test drive to find out why :finger:  :finger:

Edited by cheshire cat

I have dealt with the large west london one in question and purchased 2 cars from them.

First car was fine, except for the 'multi point' vehicle check which allowed me to drive away with a nail in 1 tyre and below legal brake pads at the rear. Both of these were repaired at a Halfords Autocentre (the place they use) and reimbursed by the company.

Second time, not an issue at all and car was perfect.

The other place was a supermarket in Southampton. Phoned about a specific car, drove 1.5 hours down there one evening to view and some monkey had 'lost the keys' that day. Information that was omitted when I phoned up to check we were still on for the test drive. I was shown a multitude of 'similar' (not similar) cars and asked which one I would like. Needless to say, I left.

Pros;

Large selection of cars.

Good if you just want to browse, pressure free

Good if you are unsure what you want exactly (i.e. know you want an estate, no idea what brand)

Cons;

As mentioned already, do your own research and thoroughly check the car

The 101 bolt on sales items. The self cleaning protective film coat crap, GAP insurance etc.

Usually high pressure - pay a refundable deposit to reserve 24 hours etc. Due to often quick turnover, sometimes worth it if it really is the right car.

Overall, used car supermarkets, used main dealers, used family dealers - there is good, bad and ugly in all. I tend to go where the car is, but trust my instinct. 

HTH.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really should know better but something took my fancy at one of Arnold's supermarkets (no harming in looking...) - sent them an email via Autotrader with a couple of basic questions (how many owners and service history) and put down that my preferred method of contact was email - I wasn't surprised when they ignored my preference request and tried to phone me twice this morning - this was then followed up by a generic email asking me to contact them, but completely ignoring my questions...

Anyway, I'd lost interest in the car after I sent the email as I got home and viewed it on the iMac (I'd only viewed it on my phone) - it has clearly been lowered and has a front splitter (which actually looks quite good but I'm after something unmolested mechanically and cosmetically).

• Like 1