Is DSG worth it?

Hi all,

I'm planning on rejoining the Skoda family having spent 2 years with a Mondeo. I am currently considering the spec of the new car - I've always purchased 2nd hand so am nervous about getting it right.

So far, I've decided that it's got to be a VRS hatchback in Race Blue. I'm getting the Canton sounds and a few other minor accessories. The thing that is causing most anxiety is the choice of gearbox; should I stick with what I know (manual) or should I try and find the extra cash for the DSG box? 

What I need to know is whether the DSG box us worth £1500 extra and will I see anything back come resale time in 3 years or so?

It's completely personal opinion.

I personally would never want a manual car again after buying my first auto (DSG) about 4 years ago. It truly was a great gearbox and completely transforms how the car drives and feels.

It's one of those things that many struggle to decide like yourself but rarely regret making the choice of DSG.

So try a test drive if you've not already had one.

As for resale value. It's not like a normal optional extra that just adds appeal not value. The DSG version is a more valuable car so you should get whatever it's worth come the time. Hope that makes sense!?

Phil

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 2

Again personal experiance, I've never driven the vRS dsg but I have driven a number of VAG cars with different dsg gearboxes and they've all been sub par when driving normally.

In my experiance they're great for driving fast but the manual is "better" (more involving although allegedly not faster) but they're slow and jerky in start stop traffic.

I've owned normal autos before and am waiting for a new car with an 8 speed zf box - to me if you're buying an auto it's about smooth relaxing driving 1st with performance 2nd and that's something the dsg is an abismal failure at.

However as Phil-e says - test drive is king.

Edited by gullyg
  • Like 1

^^ What kind of cars are you borrowing or hiring with a DSG?

Are these diesels or petrols and anything recently produced?

That is some damning post you made there that seems very far from many peoples experiences other than sometimes 

journalists and others that are very anti auto or DSG.

Test drives are the best plan, and set the tyre pressures and remember demos have a bit of a memory of recent drivers behaviour.

• Like 3

No.

I second GullyG, particularly with Diesels. Petrols are better but I would think a vRS without a DSG would still hold its value similarly But drive one first to make your own mind up.

As for keeping the value, a quick sprint through the Skoda website would suggest not

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=606017192

Vs

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=605869966

Although the dsg is a pretty lurid colour that may affect value

Edited by Bristolf2b
  • Like 1

I've test driven a diesel manual VRS but the local branch don't have a DSG on their demo fleet. 

I'm leaning towards manual mainly due to the cost - £1500 is a lot for a gearbox no matter how good! If they don't hold the value in resale, it might make my mind up for good. 

That being said, I'm easily persuaded.

Actually Mk3 diesel vRS are not holding values very well no matter manual or DSG and as they will have even poorer residuals as they are about to be replaced in a couple of years.

Asking prices at Main Dealerships or asking prices anyplace is no indication, dealers are getting cars back in from being leased and they are often having to offer too much and hoping that someone pays enough for them to make a profit,

only the price people pay to buy them used really matters, some will always pay too much, just as some do buying them or leasing in the first place.

I've been driving auto's for 35 years and I'd say the DSG is mighty impressive.

I think it would be really difficult, if you're used to a manual, to make your mind up on a DSG by just a test drive.  That'd be a big gamble.  You probably ought to either drive several, or try to get an extended test so you can get used to the feel of one.

I really don't understand the negative comments about them being a failure at performance.  That's certainly not my experience.

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI
  • Like 1

I've had my Scout for about 7 months and 7,000 miles now with DSG. If you're looking at a diesel vrs then this is the same engine/gearbox combination. I'd been thinking about an auto for a while and decided to take the plunge on the basis I could always go back to manual come replacement time if I didn't take to it. As others have said it is personal preference at the end of the day but I love mine and can't imagine ever going back to a manual.

• Like 1

^^ What kind of cars are you borrowing or hiring with a DSG?

Are these diesels or petrols and anything recently produced?

That is some damning post you made there that seems very far from many peoples experiences other than sometimes

journalists and others that are very anti auto or DSG.

Test drives are the best plan, and set the tyre pressures and remember demos have a bit of a memory of recent drivers behaviour.

I've driven loads of cars over the last three years through work's hire car agreement, courtesy cars from the dealer and test drives) the ones with dsg are,

Passat 2.0 diesel (pre-mqb model)

Passat bluemotion diesel (1.6?) also pre-mqb

Mk2 Fabia 1.4tsi Monte Carlo

Audi A4 2.0 Quattro (petrol)

Yeti diesel (no idea on engine size)

Mk2 superb diesel of some capacity

All cars were under a year old when I drove them, often with only a few thousand miles on them.

I've also been a passenger in the new Golf R estate and it's the same, impressive driving fast but pretty poor in traffic.

They do get better with more power but still not great. The ZF box in the BMWs isn't quite as good imho driving fast but it's close however it's light years ahead on the day to day slog through traffic.

As for reviews I never put a huge amount of store in them. For a start not that many are long term reviews where people are likely to do heavy traffic rather than a blast on a country road and some motorway.

Also they're often cr4p or extremely subjective - the Volvo XC60 r-design and BMW X3 msport suspension are too "hard" and "jiggly" if you are to believe the reviewers. With all the reviews I've seen saying that for the X3 it's a "must" to get the expensive variable dampers but to me driving on 20" wheels the X3 msport is perfectly fine especially as I'm sticking with 19" wheels.

As everyone says - each to their own it's very subjective.

As for residuals, my 2013 vRS estate was ~25 grand new, 3 years and 30k miles later it's worth about £11500 if you're to believe we buy any car etc.

Edited by gullyg
  • Like 2

OK.

No such thing as a Mk2 Fabia 1.4TSI Monte Carlo or even Mk2 Monte Carlo Fabia with DSG sold in the UK,

so maybe that was a vRS.

(even if de-badged the clue might be vRS on the seats.)

We will not take WBAC as what they are worth, just what they might pay before someone else sells them like their dealerships, for £1,500 or more at least, with an asking price maybe a few thousand higher.

Edited by Offski

Head to your local VW dealer and just ask for a test drive of any diesel car with a DSG - I did this and it was a Passat CC they let me have a go in. 

In my opinion DSG is the way of the future. Just look at any prestige car they are all auto in some form or other. Porsche use DSG for example (they call it something else but its the same thing really). 

First and foremost, I wouldn't worry about residuals with or without DSG, agreeing with the other posters that they have had startling depreciation regardless of options. As a private buyer, I would probably pay more for a good condition 1-owner car which was privately owned and not on a long- life schedule. Let's be honest most people wait 2-3 years to pick up a car as cheaply as possible from those who are foolish enough to pay for the depreciation.

OK.

No such thing as a Mk2 Fabia 1.4TSI Monte Carlo or even Mk2 Monte Carlo Fabia with DSG sold in the UK,

so maybe that was a vRS.

(even if de-badged the clue might be vRS on the seats.)

We will not take WBAC as what they are worth, just what they might pay before someone else sells them like their dealerships, for £1,500 or more at least, with an asking price maybe a few thousand higher.

Ah sorry stupid moment. 1.2 - was when my vRS was in getting warranty work and didn't pay a huge amount of attention to the engine size other than it was petrol was defiantly a Monte Carlo petrol tho.

You are correct about WBAC but they can be a useful guide if you add on a bit more. I got more than that in my trade in although was still slightly under the finance value but I didn't want to complicate matters as trade in prices are related to what you're paying for the new car.

Edited by gullyg

No 1.2 TSI or 1.6TDI CR Mk2 Fabia Monte Carlo with DSG either, all manuals.

Hmm. Maybe not a Monte Carlo - certainly no vRS anyway as it rolled about a bit. Should have the loan paperwork from the dealer at home.

No matter, it is unusual to find a 1.2 Petrol Fabia DSG 7 speed that is not smooth to drive.

I have only driven Autos for 40 years and that is a lot of autos each year and quite a lot of DSG's in the past 5 years.

I like them but i understand those that do not.

You are correct about WBAC but they can be a useful guide if you add on a bit more....

I've found Parkers gave figures far closer - to within £50 or less - what main dealers sell at and what they give for p/x, especailly if you pay a few quid for their upgrade to adjust for colour, mileage, etc.

Past three dealers I've been to (two non-Skoda) were happy to show me their computer screens to compare notes. One did tell me he hated the old days when he had to hide Glass's. Much happier and open with customers being able to show what figures he worked with. I knew all of them outside work so was happy I wasn't being stiffed.

Can't comment on petrol vRS, but I had a manual diesel vRS for 2+ years/40k miles and have driven my current DSG diesel vRS 4x4 for 4 months/6.5k miles.

If you enjoy 'sporty' driving, stick to the manual. If you don't drive particularly sportily or are in traffic a lot, then DSG may be worth looking at. Personally I find the 6-speed DSG box is fine 75% of the time, but is to clunky/slow the other 25%. I understand more modern boxes like the BMW 8-speed DSG are a big improvement. 

If you enjoy sporty driving, get the DSG.

Or get the manual. But the DSG does that too.

Get whatever you prefer, that's the best advice.

Edited by FlyingGecko
  • Like 1

I had a DSG gear box in my old Seat Altea, and after that I spend 8 years in a manual gear Skoda Fabia. I missed the DSG every single day... 

When I ordered my 2016 octavia, DSG was the first thing i choose on the asessories list!  I just love it. 

• Like 2

In my opinion DSG is the way of the future. Just look at any prestige car they are all auto in some form or other. Porsche use DSG for example (they call it something else but its the same thing really).

The problem is a bit chicken/egg.

You can't buy a higher powered VAG car* with 4wd without DSG any more. Or a BMW etc. etc. Sir wants an Audi A4 3.0tdi Quattro?, that'll be DSG only, Sir wants a BMW 330d X-Drive? That'll be auto only, Sir wants a 280 Superb? DSG only.

So You won't see a 'prestige car' with a manual gearbox, even if people like me wanted to buy one.

There may be a low demand, but without the option, it is a self fulfilling prophesy

*except perhaps a Golf R hatch, but not the estate

Edited by Bristolf2b

I first came across the DSG box when I bought a Scirocco about five years ago, I was immediately converted from the 'I must change gears myself' I always was to enjoying the effortless driving the DSG represents.

When I bought the Octy, I really had to opt for a DSG due to my wife having a serious hip problem, it was never a problem for me, I really like it.

As many have posted, it's your car, your decision but I urge you to take a DSG equipped car for a long test drive, I did, never looked back.

As for residuals, I doubt you would be significantly better or worse off over a manual...

• Like 1