Suspension Rattle / Dull Thud over uneven surfaces ?

Problem solved in my car.

A very large and heavy bone was sitting on top of bottom plastics (I have the underbody protection package).

Some animal decided to have lunch in cosy and warm environment. :)

vBeKWyS-wPZEDrPLcM4UtdmvGc320ALY_1QHkbELhXVOizsEgHhDIvCe8hDbkAmtaKBiPbMGJr8N1RmiRoci4-kOKO95_uRfF4fQDK6dyum129DOiqP7FSBGpQom47gAaybFQItbtZThuxA4b-eIVs7BTfgSjk9exy99e4A2FciscJYjUvWELw3SrzDBsNbkPvnYlhczoTqf1_LJxYc8K4pE0D0DsiYdWFn7pngZVCxQCE8INZHC_4tXwWfXExPD1_AhEpIpx0qAQxCfrIbup0SdFt733P2vVEyByFskCi7F7fF8gbk3LHLbQIE-V9BIKBW_qxGWvsnZDLiIJpi0DJJ3eybBpJd9y2ZyKU2baAFAeSFV702u3UiUJgkc3-F_35SGSCSRArc2HBOxxPVEzVqkY0D-o7alSJG79zDcxa6nBJf0F5_eFq-zbtwb1GJyhX0-CH5dMJN2k-ZK3QG-Wcqm1BMnU07y7Gr6Jg8IaoQjSDX5XUfOHJ3i7CpKRCR5Sk2oUYjkokSILCdGiH1EjHMQ47U59sQ_JgeoG-wT0OJLqT-RfWTlFOk9skgv9wuE7B3q96RyIMPdN0n7ZYn1DTk22pGUqSM2cuGbjwdm=w784-h1045-no

Edited by rytmask
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, rytmask said:

Problem solved in my car.

A very large and heavy bone was sitting on top of bottom plastics (I have the underbody protection package).

Some animal decided to have lunch in cosy and warm environment. :)

vBeKWyS-wPZEDrPLcM4UtdmvGc320ALY_1QHkbELhXVOizsEgHhDIvCe8hDbkAmtaKBiPbMGJr8N1RmiRoci4-kOKO95_uRfF4fQDK6dyum129DOiqP7FSBGpQom47gAaybFQItbtZThuxA4b-eIVs7BTfgSjk9exy99e4A2FciscJYjUvWELw3SrzDBsNbkPvnYlhczoTqf1_LJxYc8K4pE0D0DsiYdWFn7pngZVCxQCE8INZHC_4tXwWfXExPD1_AhEpIpx0qAQxCfrIbup0SdFt733P2vVEyByFskCi7F7fF8gbk3LHLbQIE-V9BIKBW_qxGWvsnZDLiIJpi0DJJ3eybBpJd9y2ZyKU2baAFAeSFV702u3UiUJgkc3-F_35SGSCSRArc2HBOxxPVEzVqkY0D-o7alSJG79zDcxa6nBJf0F5_eFq-zbtwb1GJyhX0-CH5dMJN2k-ZK3QG-Wcqm1BMnU07y7Gr6Jg8IaoQjSDX5XUfOHJ3i7CpKRCR5Sk2oUYjkokSILCdGiH1EjHMQ47U59sQ_JgeoG-wT0OJLqT-RfWTlFOk9skgv9wuE7B3q96RyIMPdN0n7ZYn1DTk22pGUqSM2cuGbjwdm=w784-h1045-no

Holy cr@p! That's astonishing! 

Not an outcome I would have expected - but great that it was resolved so easily. And originally! 

:D

• 3 weeks later...

after several months of silence OD invited me to swap shock absorbers,
sounds good, do you? but not :(
they swaped left to right to able localize problem -
still can't hear any diff, rattles still on both sides.

Google Translate gave me answer where are the problems coming from :)

Skoda_translation_en.thumb.jpg.affe6074603204f79ac084b4ee22f1ad.jpg

in Latvian 'sorry' :)

Skoda_translation_lv.thumb.jpg.1caee429433dfb55a58378e9f75fd6cb.jpg

• Confused 1

I'm no car mechanic, but if the sound is from both sides I don't see any value in swapping them over?  If you had a rattle one side but not the other then I would understand...!

@nicklouse

i hear from both sides,

VW mechanic hear from both sides.

Škoda's previous dealer has heard, but in case no leaks detected replacement were rejected.

Škoda's new dealer can hear from one side and promised they will get accept from the factory to replace one side

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2017 at 21:03, RickTT said:

Car back today...

Car has had new front brake pads... advised that it was the pad which was rattling on the front nearside.....  (so new front pads at 14k miles)

1 mile later - suspension noise is still present when going over the first speed bump... its not as loud as before but the noise is still there (just like last time) so im going to find a section of road where i can replicate it every time and then book it back in.

Issue returned.. Booked back in.

Car is in dealer today .. Just been called to say they have lubed the suspension as per the technical bulletin... Same as in December minus the pads...

Got to take it away and see if the issue returns ........ (i took it to another dealer this time) 

The drive home.... Not a creak or rattle in sight.. Well in ear... 

Drove with the radio off for around 10 mins on the roads where it was previously creaking and it's like driving a different car !! 

Also got a video report were the tech said he also heard it on the test drive and says hes regreased the wishbone bushes... ( however in my eyes bushes should not need greasing !!)

Lets see how long it lasts..

Edited by RickTT

Fingers crossed that your issue is resolved. I've suffered similar frustrations with my 2017 SEL estate. The off side front suspension knocked pretty much from day one when I bought it new. I've had endless trips back to the dealer to get it put right. The arms were greased twice, components were swapped from side to side, it was booked in twice for more in depth diagnosis, the whole thing was a dibarcke to be honest. On one occasion I was told on the phone that the knock was actually coming from the door, so they would strip it down and tighten a bracket. Upon arriving to collect the car I was then told by the service guy that they'd had the dashboard off and tightened a bracket. They then denied having told me on the phone it was the door! 12,000 miles in, a lot of faffing about and frustration, being fobbed off, and finally lied to and treated as a fool was the last straw so I complained to skoda uk. Sadly for them, I explained that I have a degree in motor vehicle and transport student studies and this seemed to get things moving. They must have out the pressure on the dealer as it was fixed within a week. They replaced the whole off side suspension strut in the end. 

Edited by Lc6598
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lc6598 said:

Fingers crossed that your issue is resolved. I've suffered similar frustrations with my 2017 SEL estate. The off side front suspension knocked pretty much from day one when I bought it new. I've had endless trips back to the dealer to get it put right. The arms were greased twice, components were swapped from side to side, it was booked in twice for more in depth diagnosis, the whole thing was a dibarcke to be honest. On one occasion I was told on the phone that the knock was actually coming from the door, so they would strip it down and tighten a bracket. Upon arriving to collect the car I was then told by the service guy that they'd had the dashboard off and tightened a bracket. They then denied having told me on the phone it was the door! 12,000 miles in, a lot of faffing about and frustration, being fobbed off, and finally lied to and treated as a fool was the last straw so I complained to skoda uk. Sadly for them, I explained that I have a degree in motor vehicle and transport student studies and this seemed to get things moving. They must have out the pressure on the dealer as it was fixed within a week. They replaced the whole off side suspension strut in the end. 

Intresting to hear this... i know my car has been greased a couple of times before now, so will see how things progess over the coming weeks..

Car is back at the dealer for its 1st service in 2k miles anyway... i wanted to get it done on this trip but they would not do it until its due......  never mind,... back again.

32 minutes ago, xman said:

Greasing is a temporary fix at best. 

Yup - which i did say that,.. but as i went to a different dealer they advised they have to try this as per warrenty process and for me to return if the issue re-ouccurs.... roll on 1 month...

• 3 weeks later...

My car is going in on Thursday. I have a "thumping" noise coming from rear left when passing potholes, sharp edges etc. 

Tried to get the same thump from right rear by passing the salt potholes and edges only with right side - completely silent.

Doesn't seem to thump when shocks and springs are compressed by heavy load...

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mon55 said:

Any luck ?

oh... i didnt update this... i thought i had..

Got to the dealer at 8am, told dealer car was here for Tyre sensor Error (it wont clear), suspension and service. As agreed on my last visit 2 weeks ago, as the issue had returned for them to keep the car for a few days.

Dealer had not booked my a courtesy car.  They managed to fine a fabia but i would have to be back by 6pm that evening.

After 1 hour of been messed about i had to cancel the booking and rebook for late March when it was the first slot where i could have a car for a number of days.

However, in the last few days when the temp has increased, its stopped creaking ! (just like back in April last year when it went back! )

Will see what happens when it goes back in again.

• 2 weeks later...

Booked in this Thursday. Couldn't wait though so I jacked the rear end up and removed the wheel.

I think the picture is self explaining - my RARB must have been working overtime trying to get the car leveled.

All the oil on the outside and no oil on the inside = bad handling :)

20180316_120153.jpg

I have series of issues with rear suspension (knocking sound over smaller/bigger bumps, seems like since 2000km, but first I was sure something inside cars boot is knocking but I just didn't try what, but it got lauder and more often now and i put every thing out of boot and now i see its suspension for sure (also my gf ride in boot hah to test =  ) )) and front right arm (was first greased, didn't help then they applied some special solution to keep grease on - they said). Now it seems to be ok (2000km) but now the left some times squeaks over bumps =/. Basically I hit every damn issue i've read on forums on this car so far (except dsg phoenom (dont have one) and the outer rims falling off (knocking on wood right now!). I still love the ride when its all ok, but if it wont be fixed (these mechanics dont take me serious, they tell me its something in boot or that sound is normal :@. I'm really ****ing off lately

P.S.: I mostly blame the damn mechanics and "supplier" in Slovenia and not just Skoda. Skoda gets parts from VW so I guess its whole firm not just Skoda's fault. They do pay it via warranty (if the dealers apply it)

Edited by JackySi

just one huge difference, VW do accept problems and replaced that wrong developed parts on the production line
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/414829-suspension-rattle-dull-thud-over-uneven-surfaces/?do=findComment&comment=4886034

two weeks ago i have received that answer from Škoda's global support,

but does it mean i have received call from local dealer

Dear Mr. MB,

We would like to refer to your e-mail of the 01.03.2018  in which you express your dissatisfaction with your ŠKODA, the broken rear air vent and the car suspension noise.

To process your complaint, we have passed over your complaint to our importer in Latvia and asked to review it with the high priority.

Thanks you very much for your kind understanding.

Best regards

Jana Harms, VAT/2 – Péče o zákazníka / Customer Care / Kundenbetreuung
ŠKODA AUTO a.s., Tř. Václava Klementa 869, 293 60 Mladá Boleslav, Czech Republic

[email protected], www.skoda-auto.cz , www.skoda-auto.com

My dealer/workshop is excellent. No discussions about what should or shouldn't be. 

Sent them the picture of my left damper and they've ordered a new part based on that. But of course - I haven't had any other problems/rattles that are hard to find the source to.

My new damper didn't arrive in time but the Skoda technician took a test drive with my car and came to the same conclusion. Faulty damper and the noise probably comes from the heavy load the RARB is getting trying to level the car. He also said that the bad handling over sharp edges is caused by the bad damper. Not that it's bouncing more like a car with really hard suspension.