things that niggle you about your yeti!

aernala

not a 4x4  expert but NOTHING indicates when it is activate ,I believe the haldex pump activates system to rear wheels when it detects  slipping in the front or any wheels ( ref my post about haldex pump failure recently)and the post about (am I getting this right about using a spare) AWAYOFFSKI is ONE of the experts on the Briskoda forum on 4 wheel drive systems  I believe he will put us both right if any of our assumptions are wrong.

Edited by Sad555

The Haldex unit "feeds" drive to the rear axle when the system both senses actual slippage and also when it considers it might happen, typically sensing steering angles and the amount of acceleration being used. Therefore it is not "on or off". As such, if there was a light in the system, it could be flickering on and off all the time. 

Personally I cannot see that it is needed.

• Like 3

Llanigraham/awayoffski.          I raised this issue not just for using 4wd,as I assume when off-road 4wd is active but relating to a post about driving using (the spare 195/50/16 ) when once it has been fitted and driven within the 50 max it will be activating the haldex system once fitted and prior to the fitting due to picking up a puncture on the motorway which as it deflated and reducing the circumference of the tyre and instigating the haldex to cut in,with a light coming on without a TPMS this would given an indication whilst traveling on a motorway at a constant speed.Alough   this is my third 4wd vehicle I'm not an (off roader) as such and have not bought the vehicles with the purpose of of road in mind and appreciate the knowledge from people who regularly are involved in using 4wd and thought in this  situation and when the haldex pump failed would been of use not just in an off road situation where you expect it to come on anyway but there again if you were off-road and haldex wasn't working it would also be helpful.

Edited by Sad555

Why do you think the 4x4 system will be active when driven off-road? If there is not slippage sensed because the wheels are turning normally then it won't be "active". And don't forget that it isn't on or off; the Haldex unit can be feeding anything from 1% to 100% drive to the rear axle.

And sorry, but I think you are clutching at straws if you think that using the spare on one side of the rear axle is "loading" the Haldex enough to cause it to fail. It just doesn't work that way.

• Like 1

llanigraham......    if you think I'm clutching at straws perhaps you should read this comment from ANTHONY 1(;Most people from a 4x4 background would be concerned by having different sized wheel/tyre combinations. Even in unsophisticated open differentials, the planetary gears would be doing overtime for prolonged periods compensating. Of course a differential is designed to accept temporary speed difference between wheels. However, prolong and magnify that difference the components are going to get hot, worn and damaged, not leas, all the little bearings inside the differentials going to get overheated and wear out prematurely. Add in the complexities of the Haldex differentials with components such as friction plates, then I am sure that it will be seen that the life time of the differential will be compromised. I would be very unhappy, to travel anything other than a very short distance, with dissimilar tyre dimensions. Perhaps, possibly it may not be a problem within warranty period, who knows but for anyone keeping a vehicle for longer it should be of some concern. Also how can the electronic safety sensors do their job properly if their are already inaccuracies being fed to the chassis ECU. It is just bad practice. One might well be able to drive above the recommended speed limit advised by the manufacturer but it could very well invalidate any warranty and will almost certainly invalidate ones road insurance, because it is written in black and white, not to exceed the imposed limit).........llanigraham............... by offroad  I was implying wet/muddy/slippery conditions that would cause the haldex  to be active, not being into offroad I was wondering the cause of the haldex pump failure in under 3 years and wondered if there was a connection .

Edited by Sad555

I fully understand how the Haldex unit works and sorry, but I do not agree with your presumption that your Haldex pump failed because you drove for 50 miles (I believe you stated) using the spare wheel. The percentage difference across the axle is obviously within the parameters set by the VAG en gineers, otherwise they would not sell that size wheel and tyre combination, and it would not have passed the EU safety tests.

The electronic safety sensors can easily cope with the differential between tyre sizes, since they are comparing continuously and can take into account these things. How do you think they cope with just one wheel not even touching the floor, or with the disparate wear across axles and tyres?

As has been said numerous times, the Haldex is active continuously. It does not just work "off road". It senses everything from the steering input to the rate you press the accelerator pedal, to even if the windscreen wipers are in use. It can be putting anything from just a small amount of drive to the rear axle to all of it. It is not "on" or "off".

Pumps fail for all sorts of reasons, since they are a mechanical device. One member here has dismantled his pump and found it had failed due to corrosion internally due to poor sealing of the wires entering the unit; nothing to do with what you have implied. How do you know yours wasn't similar?

• Like 1

Just to be clear, it can never put "all of" the drive to the rear wheels.  The front wheels are always driven, regardless of Haldex operation.

• Like 1

Llanigraham........I bit of clarification here,when I suspected the haldex was not working I accepted it was just a simple mechanical/electrical failure under 15000 miles and luckily for me within the 3 year warranty ,but after some suggestions by other members on the other topic it was suggested by some members with much more knowledge of 4wd systems than me that it was not common sense to drive a distance with the different size spare and this could cause problems to the haldex system so this is what lead me to believe a problem may have occurred but as in life not all 4x4 experts agree by reading the other  topic.................. link below

By Yeti_Man5 January, 2010
Edited by Sad555
  • Like 1

Some years ago I had an MX5 with a space saver spare,  now the advice with that was, if a puncture on the rear of the car, move a front wheel to the rear and use the space saver on the front,

The space saver was smaller than the running gear, but it always struck me as a little risky driving at 50mph with 2 different sized wheels on the steering axle!!

Edited by Frenchtone
duplication

What a palava. But if you know there are issues with the Haldex.

Purchase and carry at least one spare that matches the others on a vehicle in size and weight and if you need it fitted still use with caution if the tread / compound is different.

If the Wheels / Tyres on the front and rear are different sizes like maybe with a RS3 (quattro) you might want 2 spares carried.

However, having said what I said, the system in my Subaru (that also uses a multiplate clutch but at the front of the propshaft) disables the drive to the rear wheels if it detects a smaller spare (which I don't use as I replaced it with a 5th alloy) or puncture on the rear by monitoring the rotational difference with a warning light that it is FWD only. But, unlike Haldex vehicles, the resting power distribution is 60F/40R so it is always engaged during normal operation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sad555 said:

Llanigraham........I bit of clarification here,when I suspected the haldex was not working I accepted it was just a simple mechanical/electrical failure under 15000 miles and luckily for me within the 3 year warranty ,but after some suggestions by other members on the other topic it was suggested by some members with much more knowledge of 4wd systems than me that it was not common sense to drive a distance with the different size spare and this could cause problems to the haldex system so this is what lead me to believe a problem may have occurred but as in life not all 4x4 experts agree by reading the topic.

I thought I had clarified it above, but will say it again. I see no problem with driving with the slightly smaller spare wheel on one side of an axle. VAG engineers would not have specified it if there was a possible problem, it would not have passed the Type Approval tests if it was dangerous, and Skoda would not say it in the Handbook if it was likely to cause damage.

See also the comments by Huskoda above and the video of how the Haldex system works.

One member whose pump failed took it apart and proved that corrosion had caused the problem and showed how it had happened and how it could be cured. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weasley said:

Just to be clear, it can never put "all of" the drive to the rear wheels.  The front wheels are always driven, regardless of Haldex operation.

I know, but it was simpler they way I said it.

That's not right is it?

I'm sure mine aren't like that.

I wonder if the catches could be adjusted to pull the doors in more? 

Edited by VAGCF

8 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

I'm sure mine aren't like that.

It's exactly what my back door looks like when I 'swing' it closed rather than closing it firmly whilst holding it in my hand all the way, if you know what I mean - it doesn't close and catch properly but I've got used to it and as long as I remember to shut the door in the 'correct' way it's fine. I assume that this isn't just a case of not being firm enough though??