A few issues- smartgate, mirror tilt and sub

Hi guys!

So I have reached the end of my second week with my car and its great! But a couple things have come up that I need to get sorted out. I should probably talk to the dealer but I'll try here first to see if there are any quick fixes...

Car is a vRS 230 estate btw.

1) Smart Gate- I've managed to connect my Android phone to the Smart Gate wifi but none of the apps seem to see it as connected. Any ideas?

2) Auto mirror tilt- One cool thing I found was that the mirrors would automatically tilt when I shifted to reverse, but for some reason that has stopped happening now. I have gone into the settings and made sure the thing was ticked and enabled.

3) Sub noises- I like my bass LOUD and had an aftermarket sub box in my last car. I thought I might want to install it in the new car because the Canton system didn't seem that bassy even with the sub turned to max. However, after a week of blasting it, it seems to have loosened up nicely and is lovely and boomy. However there now appears to be a sound like something has come loose and vibrats whenever the bass happens. I dunno if this is just the boot floor getting vibrated though.

Thanks a lot for any help guys!

I can possibly help with one of those.  According to the owners manual the mirror tilt only keeps working when the mirror adjust selection knob is set to the passengers side.  You have probably adjusted the drivers mirror since and left it selected, hence the mirror tilt no longer working.

Let me know if it works.

Regards.

Chris.

Edited by MasCam

Smart link (smart gate Is a garage door opener thingy) may be cable only. Plug the phone in to the USB port under the main display. You will probably need to unlock the phone. If Android is anything like iOS it will be very obvious when connected.

The in car wifi is not really much use unless you've gone for the mobile hotspot option. I can set my phone the auto connect, but then the phone tries to use the car for data (car has no internet connection) so loses internet connection. Can set the phone as a mobile hotspot for the car, but don't gain anything. Smart link (car play for iOS) is cabled only, may change on face lift cars but sounds like a hardware requirement).

(To be clear, the in car wifi is not part of the Smart link option, it's a seperate option that comes as standard in MY17 vRS O3 cars iirc)

He asked about Smart Gate - not Smart Link. And no that is not a garage door opener.

From Skoda support:

If the connection fails, check the following points: 
- Does your device have the necessary system requirements for successful connection? 
- Is the Wi-Fi in your device on? 
- Is the ignition on? 
- Is SmartGate on the list of available Wi-Fi networks? 
- Have you entered the connection password?
- Is the connection password right?
- Is the device you're trying to connect still hooked up to another Wi-Fi network?
- Are too many users/applications connected to the unit? (maximum of 4 users or 4 apps) 
If you've run through these points and are still unable to connect, contact a ŠKODA partner. 

Thanks guys. I've gone through the checklist so I'll be contacting the dealer next.

SmartLink for Android Auto was a bit disappointing to be honest with the lack of applications that support it currently. Lets hope that changes with time.

I don't think I have an 'I' position. But turning it to the passenger side worked out fine. Though I now need to adjust where it is pointing a bit.

As for the Canton, I have pushed the sub up to max in the settings. I think max settings are making the boot floor vibrate but I am not certain. Do you know how the sub is configured in the Canton system? Does it face downwards?

Interested in the comments re mirror tilt, just taken delivery of a Jan 16 VRS Combi, mirror tilt not working, would it be standard that it should ?, 

Also wireless charging not working in phonebox 

nor does the columbus show my sms form my galaxy s7

I think wireless charging was an option. My phone doesn't use it so I didn't order it and I can't check if it was thrown in anyways.

What is your cars buildweek?

I answered the post before mine. Forgot to quote it though.

I have just spoken to the dealer in warrington and they said Smartgate is not a retrofitted option and is only a factory fitted option.... hope I'm not running out of options lol :dull:

Smartgate is a retrofit. Skoda even makes the KIT.

http://skodadop.com/en/octavia-iii-/interer-octavia-iii/smartgate-octavia-iii.html

• Like 1