Projector headlight bulbs ?

Phil866

Sorry if this has been done to death but I just need to check that they are H7's?  Haynes says H7 55w main beam and H7 35w low beam. Now I've never heard of a 35w headlight bulb so is this a typo? The Skoda manual says H7 but does not specify wattage. My local auto electrical dealer's book say's H1's, which I'm sure they are not. Confusion reigns.......

No idea but i changed bulbs the other day in a Mk2 vRS and it was H4's for the Dipped Beam i was given at the motor factor.

EDIT,

Just read a Fabia MK2 FL Owners Manual.

Page 200 has

Front Headlight.

Halogen Headlight Low Beam H4, Main Beam H4

Halogen Projector Headlights Low Beam H7, Main Beam H7

So tomorrow i must check the boxes and see what i used.....

Edited by Offski

Hi again Offski

i am also looking at changing my Front headlight bulb(s) I am interested in these new phillips colourvision ones which are road legal:

Green for me!

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-li/car-lights/headlights/latest#filters=HEADLIGHTS_SU%2CFK_CAR_COLORVISION&sliders=&support=&price=&priceBoxes=&page=&layout= 

The wattage of both H7 and H4 is listed as 60/55 (12V)

However on autobulbs direct its saying i only have H7 that operates both! 

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/skoda-fabia-vrs-hatchback-2010-2011-60

BUT, On Powerbulbs it says H4?

http://www.powerbulbs.com/vehiclelookup/P/GB/106/0/33681

Other Bulb finder websites list both H4 AND H7! 

I am getting a garage to fit soon (not confident myself) so how would i know if have 2 bulbs or one?

I suppose i could buy both if one type wasnt needed at fitment i could return them (if buying on Ebay)

Edited by Kobayashi

Actually i think i have the one bulb only H7?, as we were questioned on a M.O.T once why i had my fog lights permanently on (These were actually Daylight Running Lights)

They also told us the sidelights had a blue dummy bulb and wasnt working when a bulb was connected!

So i am 99% sure i just have the one bulb that opens up for MAIN BEAM and is shuttered the rest of the time, but i think my issue is specific to Fabia VRS MK2. I think this explains why the standard bulbs look dull.

Easy enough to look at the lights and see if there is 2 bulbs.

Or the Main Beam inwards, the dome cover outwards, and the blue dummy bulb.

This year the tester failed my old car because it had no sidelights, and would not believe the DRL units were the sidelights even though they came on with the sidelight switch and headlights and are dimmer than the DRL's which i told him to switch on and try..

(The DRL's were switched off so they never came on & that is how they always are.)

They had messed about with fuses first trying to get sidelights before i got a call.

I was not there and the garage removed the blue dummy bulbs and still would not pass it until i sent a video of a vRS's lights working.

(I was surprised because lights have never been an issue, only failing the emissions test has....)

post-86161-0-74943500-1478766698_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-30755600-1478766734_thumb.jpg

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Ah yes definitely 3 types of bulbs in the pic. (Sidelight Blue not used)

So looks like i do need 2 x H4 & 2 x H7.

That's just doubled the cost of the upgrade then!

It's more likely to be 4x H7's. As Offski mentioned in post #2: Halogen Projector Headlights Low Beam H7, Main Beam H7

If you're not paying postage just grab two H7's and do the dipped beam first. If you're happy, do the main beams :)

• Like 1

Decided to have a go at this today, was surprisingly easy to twist the bulb holders out, not so easy to twist back in!

But easy do-able, even for a non techy like me.

Wasnt till i got to Halfrauds to compare the sizes that i realised how to pull the metal bit apart  - i was pulling on the bulb itself! (dont do this)

On the back of Bulb it says H7

So in my model Fabia VRS MKII they are defo H7 x 4 (though 2 were H7U) U is something to do with ultra violet light?

Bulb finder websites are unreliable and so is the manual. Also H4 are approx 1.5 times bigger holder and bulb. They seem massive.

Least i can get my new ones ordered now  :happy:

Theres different headlights in different model fabs. 

On the facelift cars:

H4 reflectors on the basic S model. 

H7 projector dip and a separate h7 reflector for the high beam on all higher models apart from..

H7 black pack lights (found on the Monte Carlo and some vRS cars with this option). One H7 is used and a shutter to make the beam pattern higher for high beam. 

On pre-facelift:

H4 reflectors on basic model. 

Higher models use a H7 shutter system as described above but these are a silver light. 

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Like 1

I agree with Fabiamk2se, I have a Nov 2014 Fabia VRs and it only has one bulb on each side. The headlight and main beam are crap and I would really like to improve the night time visibility. When I select main beam, there is a loud solenoid clunk and shutter reveals more light. That's the theory anyway!

Is it possible to fit Xenon bulbs or how do you make these single H7s brighter?

By the way Fabiamk2se, I am fitting an Eonon 8" Android unit tomorrow. I will post some pics when it's done. The Columbus I fitted earlier in the year to my wife's 1.2 is still going well, but it has limited capability. I am hoping to improve on this wit the Android u it.

I agree with Fabiamk2se, I have a Nov 2014 Fabia VRs and it only has one bulb on each side. The headlight and main beam are crap and I would really like to improve the night time visibility. When I select main beam, there is a loud solenoid clunk and shutter reveals more light. That's the theory anyway!

Is it possible to fit Xenon bulbs or how do you make these single H7s brighter?

By the way Fabiamk2se, I am fitting an Eonon 8" Android unit tomorrow. I will post some pics when it's done. The Columbus I fitted earlier in the year to my wife's 1.2 is still going well, but it has limited capability. I am hoping to improve on this wit the Android u it.

A HID kit would really be at home in that mate. You'll be haunted by people on here that havent done it or dont fully understand the kits somtimes, but bottom line is that a HID kit in your bi-projector would be spot on. The beam pattern will be the same as it is now with the halogens (no scatter) and it will pass an MOT because the pattern is spot on. 

Look forward to hearing your views on your new headunit. Hope its all very good! :)

Thanks, I'll take a look at some of the posts on Hid kits and see about fitting them. I can't see ****e all at night, whilst my wife's 1.2 has brill lights! How could Skoda get it so wrong?

Amazing isnt it? 

You have to sort of take some of it with a pinch of salt. I spent ages researching HID's and i've tried them on a few different vehicles (including motorbikes) and i've had alsorts in the Fab, including 4 x hid burners which was awesome whilst it lasted (silver lights, HID's dont like being cycled on/off in like happens with high beam, so it only lasted a few months). The main thing i learnt  was that people like to slag them off. Even though it makes absolutely no difference to any other road user when they're in projectors. The thing is, people see them in reflectors fitted by someone with no brain, light scatter everywhere, lighting up more of the sky than the road.. n thats what gives them a bad name. Not the case in your headlamp. 

Heres my dip beam, in a silver projector (i have Osram Gold's in high beam, but yours will be HID in low and high beam.. even better). 

FAC78116-10C7-4A77-A7C1-521EC60A9BA4.jpg

These look great. What bulbs do I need to get as I have only one bulb. It's a little confusing on Hids Direct website as they quote either high or low beam. I assume that I go for high beam and the reflector unit will in essence dip them when I select dip. Is this a correct assumption. If you can steer me to an exact unit, it would be greatly appreciated!

These look great. What bulbs do I need to get as I have only one bulb. It's a little confusing on Hids Direct website as they quote either high or low beam. I assume that I go for high beam and the reflector unit will in essence dip them when I select dip. Is this a correct assumption. If you can steer me to an exact unit, it would be greatly appreciated!

Hids arent as simple to fit as just halogen bulbs. You need to cut a hole in the back of the rubber covers (they're only £7 from a dealer anyway, for replacement), then you need to find somewhere for your ballast and hide the wiring on the way to make a neat job. It is plug and play, but not as simple as changing a halogen bulb. 

Heres the kit i've got

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/h7-55w-d-lumina-smart-canbus-hid-xenon-conversion-kit/

They are a slightly different colour if you look carefully in the picture above, so i had them send a replacement burner (bulb) after that and all is good now. 

Dont worry about the high/low fitment advice, as long as it is H7 (not H7R) and canbus friendly, it will be fine. Quick warmups are a bonus.