60PS VS 75PS

DampDog

It depends what your coming from and how you drive, I had a 60bhp one on test and found it lacking on the rural hills and ended up revving the nuts of it, I was glad to get back into my 1.9TDi Fabia. For what they are they are brilliant little cars, just not for anyone who like performance, but you don;t buy one for that.

I just traded my Fabia 1.6tdi 105 for a 60ps, drove both and could barely tell the difference.

Really??

I went from a Polo 1.9Tdi Sport to a 1.2Tsi. They both produce identical hp (105) but the way they drive is very different. There was never a situation where the diesel didn't have more than enough pull, even though the power band was quite narrow.  The Tsi is more responsive but you need to make full use of the gearbox to get at the torque. No bad thing as it has a great 6 speed box. The 1.2 Tsi is a tad faster on paper, but you need to make sure you plan ahead to be in the right gear more. In the diesel, within limits any gear would do. So similar outputs, but very different to drive.

I can't see how 60ps would even get close, even with it's lighter weight, both the Tsi and diesel could get to 60mph in sub 10 seconds, certainly no hot hatch territory but useable. What are the CitiGo  and the Up? 14.4 seconds. I can't see you not  being able to feel that on the road, even in sedate driving.

I meant couldnt barely tell the difference between 60 and 75 hp citigo.

Both are a lot slower than my old fabia. Lol!

Sorry LOL... The derp is strong here. :)  :) 

Cheers, from what I've read, what extra power there is, is all at the top of the rev range. Since I drive like my Granada nowadays, I think the 60ps would probably suit me just fine. 

Hi hyphons so you had it done and you reckon it's good value for money..as mine will be a 75bhp it's looking like I will only get 6bhp at the most ..so kind of wondering what difference it would make frank

Hi hyphons so you had it done and you reckon it's good value for money..as mine will be a 75bhp it's looking like I will only get 6bhp at the most ..so kind of wondering what difference it would make frank

To put this to bed a bit, here are 2 dyno results, of a 65 hp model and a remapped 80 hp model (basically the 75 with some tweaks)

This is my car's results for last year with just a k&n panel filter, no other modifications done to the engine -

Max Torque (fFt Lb)  - 96 (130 nm) @ 2940 - 3030 RPM
Max Power (HP) - 77.8 (58.0 kw) @ 5090 - 5370 RPM

This is this years results with with engine modifications, including the remap -

Max Torque (fFt Lb)  - 96 (130 nm) @ 3680 RPM
Max Power (HP) - 81.9 (61.0 kw) @ 5000 - 5500 RPM

And here's a result pulled from the remappers website

Before remap -

Max Torque (fFt Lb)  - 78 (105 nm) @ 3900 RPM (drops off quickly)
Max Power (HP) - 65.0 (48.4 kw) @ 5100 RPM (drops off quickly)

After remap -

Max Torque (fFt Lb)  - 86.8 (116 nm) @ 3950 RPM (drops off quickly)
Max Power (HP) - 78.5 (58.5 kw) @ 5750 RPM (drops off quickly)

Is a remap worth it? Yes and no, there's pro's & con's to it. The pro is a higher hp which lasts longer and also the max hp reached kicks in a little sooner, although the torque on mine stayed the same regardless of the remap, there was a difference on the remappers car they used (it might be worthwhile noting my intake pipe was damaged so some of the air wasn't reaching the filter and was being drawn away)

The con is, is it worth it? I would say if you're planning to keep the car for as long as I have done (4 years in January!) then, in the long run, it's worth it, I barely need to change down, if at all on Motorway runs as the peak torque is almost instant so it pulls along nicely at 70 and keeps flow with faster traffic. Another con is the torque kicking in at a higher rpm, although this is beneficial on motorway driving, having low end torque is sometimes better as power is nothing without torque to go with it.
  • Like 1

And to just go a little bit all out nerd for you, have some graphs:

Skoda_Citigo__10_12v_999_cc_2012On_59_bh

Final_zpsn6bqaiw8.png

The one above was done to my best ability as 2015's RPM count went up in increments of 90 rpm unlike 2016 which went up in 100 rpm. (e.g 2015 - 1500 - 1950 (1500 + 90 x 5 = 1950) 2016 - 1500 - 2000 (1500 +100 x 5 = 2000)

• Like 2

I'm not sure if this is helping with the putting to bed or whether I'm giving the thread a little shake, however the Superchips dyno curves seem to give a fairly decent indication of what I thought was happening...

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/VWUP!60PS.pdf

i.e. the butterfly movement on the 60bhp is restricted to limit the air flow and effectively constrain the power above about 5200rpm, whereas the 75bhp (their unrestricted map) allows the power to continue to build to the redline. I suspect the Superships map is quite similar to the VW 75bhp map. My view of this is that it would only make any difference at all when you're flat out/overtaking but for the majority of the time including motorway cruising you'd notice no difference at all

Hyphon's curve is a little different as Celtic appear to have extracted quite a bit more torque!

• Like 1

Just to add my two penneth. I've recently been driving the 60ps 5 door version of the Citigo when my own Mk3 Fabia 1.2 TSI 110ps hatch has been in the garage for work to be done. I've had the Citigo for about a week. It goes amazingly well, very nippy indeed. Cruises beautifully on the motorway at 70+mph. My Fabia is 9.1secs to 60mph, the Citigo around 14 something secs. Slow on paper but in practice, you just don't notice it. Does not feel slow and pick up is surprisingly good. No problem keeping up or overtaking other traffic. Never driven the 75ps but expect it goes just that bit better and it's just a bit faster. Buy with confidence. You'll be surprised when you drive one with a bit more gusto.