Opinions, should I get my money back

Read the posts on ANY car forum and the majority of the posts will be of problems. Folks moan about issues with their cars on internet forums far more than they praise them. FACT. 

One of the whole ideas of any forum is to discuss issues that may occur.

Your 2002 Bora may well have been looked after in the 10 years you have had it to a point that it has never let you down. You have no idea of how the Octavia has been driven/maintained/looked after before you bought it - which brings me back to the point I have made more than once that a PROPERLY MAINTAINED AND LOOKED AFTER Skoda is as good or better for reliable mega-mileage as anything else. If they were unreliable, then why are the majority of taxis running in the UK and Europe Skoda Octavias? Unreliable? I don't think so - they are the bread and butter of the operators.

Look.... I agree ... the engines can go for 3-4-500k with regular maintenance.... egrs.... turbos....injector looms... dmf....clutches .... electric windows ...... don't seem to last like the older cars .... and the car I bought was previously owned for eight years by an old couple who maintained it regardless of cost ....every receipt for every bit of work done on the car was present ....so I naturally thought.... can't go wrong ...l. And the bora ...... not had a service or cambelt.... anything in 100k ... yet not a problem .... so you see my view of older being built to last and more reliable in things like dmf/clutch etc ..... who knows ..... maybe I'll go for another Octavia ... it's not that I didn't like the car.... I loved it

I haven't said that a 2002 Bora is the same as a mark 2 Octavia - read my posts again. What I have said is that VW/Audi/SEAT and Skoda use the same mechanical components - even the parts come in boxes marked with all 4 brands

You have been advised to avoid the high milers, specifically mentioning the DMF because it is an expensive repair - It has already been done - to your advantage as a new owner who hasn't paid for it.

You were advised not to buy a later generation VW, but were happy to buy a later generation Skoda - the same car. 

There are a hell of a lot of good high mileage Skodas out there - just go out and find one that has been better looked after if you are adamant you don't want the one you have.

Mike

The one I own ( up until Monday) is in the dealers garage in bits .... he has told me he cannot fix it and is issuing a full refund!! And what are your on about a better looked after car ....... it had full service history ..... it even went to the garage for a tail light bulb if it ever needed one .... I've never seen such a comprehensive history as this car had ... that's what attracted me to it .....

With due respect, the faults you describe in your very first post don't suggest a well maintained car to me. If the EML light came on whilst driving home, then there was a fault which was there under its previous ownership.

EGR valve - common thing that needs cleaning/replacing on any car - easily replaceable

DMF - common thing that needs doing in any car - easily replaceable (and something that doesn't break overnight)

Injector wiring loom  - an issue that can happen on any car of that age - easily replaceable

Full service history? Means nothing if genuine parts and the correct oils haven't been used - and certainly doesn't mean a thing if done by a garage like the one you have bought it from. Not even a main dealer service history can be taken on 100% trust - you want 100% trust that the job is done right and there is only one person to do it - yourself.

A garage that can't fix it? Come on - that's where your problem lies. What parts is the garage using to replace those on the car? Genuine, the cheapest aftermarket ones they can find, or dare I suggest it secondhand parts? What diagnostics are they using to find the issues with the EGR and injector wiring? A universal, generic handheld scanner or proper VAG software such as VCDS? Or are they simply guessing because they simply don't know?Once again, that could be the root of all the problems. Ask for a full VCDS scan to post on the forum and see what they reply!

It's a modern day car that your garage is trying to fix - not a 50 year old Moggie 1000

And again!! I'll repeat myself .... the bag of **** is back with the garage and I am receiving a full refund .... do they use vag software ...do they hell..... I bought a car I thought was good ..... it's not .... end of ,,,,,, and do I have the means and know how to service and repair cars myself .,,, do I hell .,..... would I buy a car from jo bloggs that he's serviced himself in his garage over one with main dealer history ....would I hell ..... dmf easily replaceable ..... yea ..... anythings replaceable with a wheelbarrow full of money!!! ..... I tell you what .... you go have a go at the guy I bought the car from ..... the car that's under warranty .... the car that I have no control over what so ever as to where it's repaired .... I came on this site for a bit of general advice as I hadn't a clue about any of the issues .... I'm sorry mr ****ing perfect that I didn't buy a brand new car and then service it meticulously myself so as to know all the right parts were used .... maybe I'll go and buy myself an electric ramp and vag diagnostics for future use!!! One thing is for sure though..... I no longer own a bloody Skoda or want any assistance from you!!

• Like 1

And again!! I'll repeat myself .... the bag of **** is back with the garage and I am receiving a full refund .... do they use vag software ...do they hell..... I bought a car I thought was good ..... it's not .... end of ,,,,,, and do I have the means and know how to service and repair cars myself .,,, do I hell .,..... would I buy a car from jo bloggs that he's serviced himself in his garage over one with main dealer history ....would I hell ..... dmf easily replaceable ..... yea ..... anythings replaceable with a wheelbarrow full of money!!! ..... I tell you what .... you go have a go at the guy I bought the car from ..... the car that's under warranty .... the car that I have no control over what so ever as to where it's repaired .... I came on this site for a bit of general advice as I hadn't a clue about any of the issues .... I'm sorry mr kitten perfect that I didn't buy a brand new car and then service it meticulously myself so as to know all the right parts were used .... maybe I'll go and buy myself an electric ramp and vag diagnostics for future use!!! One thing is for sure though..... I no longer own a bloody Skoda or want any assistance from you!!

No need for a reply like this at all.......maybe best you direct your anger at the garage not one of the well respected helpful members on here.....feel free to delete your account now you hate skoda's & us so much...... 

• Like 1

It's a 12 year old high mileage car.

So it's basically at the end of its useable life.

In my opinion these cars are fine if you are competent at diagnosing and repairing problems otherwise you have to pay for repairs and one big one is the cost of the car.

I'm amazed you can get a warranty on a car like that.

Take the money and walk away and either buy a newer car or be prepared for the same issues on the next.

Clutches,dmf etc wear out like tyres