Headlight bulbs

Hi guys

I've recently had to change both headlight bulbs but just bought ones from local motor factors

Now one of the bulbs has blown already after a month

I'm looking at osram night breakers or Phillips xtreme

I don't want anything to powerful for the car and risk anything burning or melting but would like the best crisp light possible with a tidy lifespan

Any help would be appreciated as I currently look like a motorbike driving in the dark

I've got a 2010 Vrs estate

Thanks Dan

One bulb doesn't mean they all are crappy. It might happen even with the best brands. If you don't have any complaints about the light they produce, you might try them again. If the new bulb expires in a month again then think about philips or osram.

Osram Night Breakers and Phillips Xtreme headlamp bulbs do not draw any more current than 'standard' bulbs so there is no danger of damage to your car.  The first mod I did to my car was to fit Osram up-rated headlamp bulbs.  Both dip beam bulbs failed and needed to be replaced after 2½ years.

Edited by philbes

Did you notice a big difference in the light I see the wattage is the same I've read on other threads tho that they produce more heat unless I'm looking at two different things I can get a normal run of the mill bulb for a fiver but if these ,engined make a massive difference do t mind paying the extra

The Osrams and Philips bulbs do produce a much better beam. I would happily say that my Octy with projectors and H7 bulbs are better than my Focus 2015 ST3 with xenons.

uprated to some nightbreakers one blew after about 18 months changed for  Phillips Xtreme no real difference in brightness .

fitted to 2009 vrs 

Strangely, my philips have just failed me after around the same amount of time.  Started the car up over the weekend to see the bulb indication on the dash and noticed the passenger side headlight was out.  Not too impressed, but can only assume its a combination of age and temperature change.

Anyone tried these fancy looking LED bulbs... On eBay called nighteye? I'm just not happy with the halogen bulbs, the light is just not... You know, white and modern looking.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311740685909

Edited by MrTacoSWFC

Anyone tried these fancy looking LED bulbs... On eBay called nighteye? I'm just not happy with the halogen bulbs, the light is just not... You know, white and modern looking.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311740685909

Don't bother, they will be rubbish.

They will be completely unfocused given loads of foreground light be very little distance light where you actually need it as I mentioned here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/417084-time-to-upgrade-headlamp-bulbs-anyone-tried-these-yet-led-h7/?p=4754452

Stick with good quality halogens :)

LED bulbs are rubbish unless they arena factory fit option. My friend purchased some for his car and it doesnt give any forward light output at all. I have Philips 130% fitted to my and the output and forward light is better than my Focus ST 2015 with Xenons. I have always been impressed with how good the projector lights are on the Octavia.

I have Philips 130% fitted to my and the output and forward light is better than my Focus ST 2015 with Xenons.

In that case the Ford Xenons must be absolutely woeful. When you compare an Octavia with uprated halogens with one with Xenons (Factory or retrofit) the difference is night and day......the Xenons are on a different planet in terms of light output.    

In that case the Ford Xenons must be absolutely woeful. When you compare an Octavia with uprated halogens with one with Xenons (Factory or retrofit) the difference is night and day......the Xenons are on a different planet in terms of light output.

Xenons give a whiter light I agree but I dont think they are leagues ahead of halogens. Now if you were to say new led lights then I would agree. I saw the new leds on a merc and it literally had a full 180 degree arc of light and filled the sides of the road as well as in front. Xenons give a whiter light through a projector but I am not impressed by them, hence why I purchased an Octy without them. If you were to look at distance of light thrown from the xenon to an uprated halogen bulb. You will see the cut off points will be very similar. Xenons are not the be all and end all of lights.

Xenons give a whiter light I agree but I dont think they are leagues ahead of halogens.

I think most people would disagree. 

Don't be fooled by the factory LED systems......they have good beam spread and use little power, but manufacturers typically use them to gain significant energy savings not boost light output......total light output is usually less than Xenons. If fact a lot of LED headlight systems don't have washers as the light output is less than 2000 Lumens (Xenons are typically around 3000 Lumens)  

All I know is the standard dipped headlights on my car were just about okay, but now with phillips X-treme bulbs they are a bit better. However, my previous car, a Mazda with xenons, had a far better light output than my VRS does, even with the phillips bulbs fitted. I sure wish I could have xenons on my Octavia! 

I think most people would disagree.

Don't be fooled by the factory LED systems......they have good beam spread and use little power, but manufacturers typically use them to gain significant energy savings not boost light output......total light output is usually less than Xenons. If fact a lot of LED headlight systems don't have washers as the light output is less than 2000 Lumens (Xenons are typically around 3000 Lumens)

The Leds were the best I have seen on any manufacture. I have never seen any xenon headlight give out anywhere near the light output. Like anything tech they are always improving.

As langers2k says, steer well clear of LEDs. the cutoff and spread of the light is just a no-go, even with projectors.

Having a FL VRS, you also have the exact same problem of HID+BCM not being a combination that is liked, and likely to end up with a fried BCM.

I have the Halfords extreme briliance +130% halogens in my FL Octy, and they are as good as the HID kit in my preFL. I believe they are on a BOGOF offer at Halfords at the moment - I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them.

Mike

Mike,are you happy with the Halfords ones? i had Phillips x-treme bulbs fitted in the main beam of the Octavia & was impressed with them,i want to upgrade the dipped beam & main beam in my Volvo & was going to order some Phillips ones but im tempted to pop to my local halfords & try theirs.