Time to upgrade headlamp bulbs, anyone tried these yet? (led h7)

Winter here, my standard bulbs are rubbish, I know the usual good bulbs to are get (osram nightbreakers, Phillips extreme vision, ring 120%) etc, but I've seen these on Fleabay....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C7-80-120W-6000K-White-CREE-LED-Headlight-Kit-H1-H3-H4-H7-H11-9006-HB4-Car-Bulbs-/291893160258?var=&hash=item43f6302942:m:mK8AcT9OmXxnpvV2FLgj7-A

Sorry if been questioned before, anyone took the plunge and tried them??? Assuming they don't have to be coded..

Many Thanks

Kris

Instagram @octyvrsfl

Not worth the money.

The beam pattern under the cutoff will be completely different to a halogen bulb. You'll might get more foreground light at the expensive of distance and possibly some strange light/dark patches throughout.

They will also struggle to dissipate the heat if they are making anything near the quoted output. Just compare its heatsink to a proper LED light like this: http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/products/auxiliary-lamps/modules/90mm-led-low-beam/

• Like 1

Good answer, thanks. Really not worth it then even in projector lamps then.

Nope... A projector still needs to be able to correctly focus the light for maximum usable light. The good thing about projectors is that the cutoff should be pretty good regardless of light source, even if the actual light distribution below the cutoff isn't.

Just found this image, it's a halogen vs LED vs HID in the same halogen projector:

post-121621-0-81933300-1479304078_thumb.jpg

The exact results will vary depending on projector and LED design, but you can see there is no hotspot at all for the LED. This will translate into very poor distance lighting which is where you need it the most. It'll also have an over bright foreground fooling the brain into thinking it's a 'better' light. Unfortunately, we aren't very good at comparing light objectively...

• Like 1

Nope... A projector still needs to be able to correctly focus the light for maximum usable light. The good thing about projectors is that the cutoff should be pretty good regardless of light source, even if the actual light distribution below the cutoff isn't.

Just found this image, it's a halogen vs LED vs HID in the same halogen projector:

attachicon.gifprojector.jpg

The exact results will vary depending on projector and LED design, but you can see there is no hotspot at all for the LED. This will translate into very poor distance lighting which is where you need it the most. It'll also have an over bright foreground fooling the brain into thinking it's a 'better' light. Unfortunately, we aren't very good at comparing light objectively...

Got to admit the led looks quite poor in that pic compared to hids anyway.

Thanks for clearying things up for me appreciated.

I personally always use Phillips +130% and can't recommend them enough, for the sake of £16 you really can't go wrong  :no:  :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NMEEV9W/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the info mate, just ordered some from Amazon at that price after seeing your post.

Good answer, thanks. Really not worth it then even in projector lamps then.

A complete waste of your hard earned..

They are very bright to look at but there is absolutely no useable beam pattern to allow you to see where you're going.

Spend a bit more and go the tried step London Colour route

I had the thought of the led kits would be amazing. Bought a set off ebay put them in and they were very bright right in front of the car and thats it they dont light up very far atall. The standard halogen bulbs are better thats how bad they are.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info mate, just ordered some from Amazon at that price after seeing your post.

No problem, I used them first on my Clio 197 (when I had it) cause the French OEM bulbs were like tea lights.. One of the first things a I changed on my octi..

Edited by jdbaillie

Halfords now stock the H7 130% BRIGHTER bulbs,buy one get one free trick but at £32!! Time to get my trade card out and try them.