Mattmahope

As mentioned in a previous post, I have just bought a pre-FL 140 Elegance in Steel Grey.  Will be looking to modify my Yeti to personal preference and very much welcome any advice/tips along the way.  My first question is this...

I'll be looking to replace the standard Spitzberg wheels with a new set of alloys.  I would like the new wheels to be (1) black/smoked/dark grey in colour, (2) official Skoda wheels ideally and (3) able to accommodate large brakes than standard.  Anybody know any that I should take a look at?

Leads me to my next question...

What would be the simplest but most effective upgrade for the brakes? Presumably the larger discs from the 170 model would be a fairly straightforward fit.  Any other good options?  I think I saw a post about an owner who had fitted larger discs and callipers from an Audi TT.

Will probably also be looking to add a decent anti-roll bar in due course, as well as a Shark remap.  But will save those questions for another day!

Thanks!

I rather like the style of Alloy wheel Turini 7.5J x 18":

Appreciate that 18" wheels might not be ideal, and not even sure if they would in fact fit anyway.

18" wheels are not approved for the Yeti, and considering how firm the suspension is, and the number of people who complain about the 17" wheel/tyre combination, I suspect that they would be very uncomfortable, and would do little for the handling.

They strike me as "bling over substance"

My view even with a box fitted to take 140 to 170, and towing a transporter/kit car combo granted with a low c of g i have never experienced probs towing, with the previous 110 car yes, but that occured on collection of the trailer, caused by the 'plank' who set up the brakes, when set up properly never had a prob! - std as sold brakes for a 140 lump!

also as previously stated elsewhere on the forum, there are 3 settinhgs for keeness of braking that can be set with vcds or there used to be - haven't tried on my adventure!

Edited by Frenchtone

All depends what you want from a car.

If you like to "press on", "make progress", "enjoy a bit of enthusiastic cross-country driving", the larger brakes are a very worthwhile update, they give you so much more confidence.

Did the 312mm uprade on my last 3 VAG cars, and my 170 Yeti has them as standard (plus uprated pads and discs).

If you're happy with the standard brakes, then all is well :)

Edited by muddyboots

I rather like the style of Alloy wheel Turini 7.5J x 18":

http://eshop.skoda-auto.com/cz/en/b2c/rims/alloy-wheel-turini-75j-x-18-5e0071498--zg6x/0/1/10000/43/1001

Appreciate that 18" wheels might not be ideal, and not even sure if they would in fact fit anyway.

They will fit.

I have a set of 18" winter alloys for my wife's Superb, and while doing the annual winter wheel swap, I temporarily fitted them to the Yeti to see what they looked like.

See this thread: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/381118-18-alloys-on-a-yeti/

What would be the simplest but most effective upgrade for the brakes? Presumably the larger discs from the 170 model would be a fairly straightforward fit.  Any other good options?  I think I saw a post about an owner who had fitted larger discs and callipers from an Audi TT.

Will probably also be looking to add a decent anti-roll bar in due course, as well as a Shark remap.  But will save those questions for another day!

Thanks!

The 170 has 312mm brakes, as did some variants of the Audi TT (and Audi S3, Leon Cupra...). It's a popular mod across the VAG range, so long as you have the right hub carriers, then the upgrade just requires changing the caliper carriers and the discs. The caliper remains unchanged. And they fit under 17" wheels too.

Shark remap, yes well recommended, I have it on my 170.

ARB - I've fitted a very mild upgrade to the rear of mine, it was from a Tiguan. Only wanted a mild increase as I didn't want to upset the overall balance of the car.

When looking at ARBs, make sure any rear ones you look at are for 4x4 models, they are different shape to the 2wd variants (assuming yours is 4wd?).