Columbus mib1 0409 firmware

Aes3

On 2/4/2017 at 12:07, safire said:

SAME PROBLEM HERE Rustynuts !

I just tried to install it, Columbus cant find update data on my SD card, ive got soft ver. 0292

Ive updated my maps from and SD card yesterday and everything was okay.

@ahenners, did you update it from an SD card ?

IMG_4331.JPG

This is the same system info I get on mine (just picked it up yesterday) except I still have Navigation 2014. What real benefits are there to updating the firmware?Does it give you anymore bells and whistles to play with? A bit wary as not exactly too tech savvy and don't want to knacker it up like it seems possible to do. Navigation update is safer isn't it? How much will the dealer bend you over for if you took it to them to do it all? I should have been a bit more on the ball I guess and insisted Sparshatts in Fareham did it anyway as part of the deal. You would have actually thought a 'proper' Skoda dealership would update all this sort of stuff anyway or their 'approved' used cars. They charge a premium for them as it is.

5 minutes ago, hatchy said:

I should have been a bit more on the ball I guess and insisted Sparshatts in Fareham did it anyway as part of the deal.

Good luck with that - I suspect you'll need it!

Sparshatts in Botley insisted there was no firmware upgrade for the Amundsen MIB1 in my Octavia even though I had given them the complete details of the new firmware version, and had complained about the bugs that it was supposed to fix. I had several "discussions" with the Service Advisor (whose product knowledge could have been written on the back of a postage stamp using a very wide marker pen...) to no avail, so I did the firmware upgrade myself (and reset the SVM code using VCDS).

Edited by SWBoy

I've got the latest maps from the Skoda portal (25gb's worth) onto an SD card, how long does it usually take to update once plugged into the unit? Don't want to start it now if it's going to take a few hours to do. SD card is a Sandisk 32gb 'extreme plus' if that will make any difference in the time.:wondering:

42 minutes ago, hatchy said:

I've got the latest maps from the Skoda portal (25gb's worth) onto an SD card, how long does it usually take to update once plugged into the unit? Don't want to start it now if it's going to take a few hours to do. SD card is a Sandisk 32gb 'extreme plus' if that will make any difference in the time.:wondering:

Map update is a bit different to firmware which this thread is about.

But since you asked, takes about an hour and a half to two hours I reckon - but the map update can be interrupted and will resume again from where it left off. So kick it off and just let it update as you use it.

Edited by ahenners

39 minutes ago, Paulius55 said:

Just remember that you cannot use the navigation while it is updating, other than that, what he said....

You can. My Nav worked fine until it got to about the last 5% of the update and it made Nav unavailable. But for the rest of the update it worked as normal updating in the background.

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

You can. My Nav worked fine until it got to about the last 5% of the update and it made Nav unavailable. But for the rest of the update it worked as normal updating in the background.

+1 for this.

The navigation & all other functions (radio, mp3, settings etc) is available until the last step of the upgrade.

The 1.5hours is just copying the files to a temporary location on the hard-drive.

The last part renames the new folder & removes the old data then asks for a unit reset.

Unavailable only for a couple of minutes.

On ‎07‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 16:41, hatchy said:

This is the same system info I get on mine (just picked it up yesterday) except I still have Navigation 2014. What real benefits are there to updating the firmware?Does it give you anymore bells and whistles to play with? A bit wary as not exactly too tech savvy and don't want to knacker it up like it seems possible to do. Navigation update is safer isn't it? How much will the dealer bend you over for if you took it to them to do it all? I should have been a bit more on the ball I guess and insisted Sparshatts in Fareham did it anyway as part of the deal. You would have actually thought a 'proper' Skoda dealership would update all this sort of stuff anyway or their 'approved' used cars. They charge a premium for them as it is.

For the moment many car manufacturers are still looking at software updates as a way of making money & make it very difficult to have one Under warrenty.

I guess in the next few years over the air updates like Tesla will become more mainstream in the future...

People just love to replace their existing bugs with new untested ones... :)

As for the Columbus firmware update, I think there are 2 main improvements over your older firmware.

There was a postcode update to better support search for UK based postcodes.

There was an update to remove some of the audio compression which improves the audio quality, especially the bass frequencies & overall loudness.

Nothing Worth risking an update if you are not confident to do it.

My biggest concern about the firmware update is the source of it. It isn't coming from Skoda is it? or is being copied from someone who has got an official update and then releasing it online?

The maps went in no problem at all and in just over an hour.

30 minutes ago, hatchy said:

My biggest concern about the firmware update is the source of it. It isn't coming from Skoda is it? or is being copied from someone who has got an official update and then releasing it online?

The maps went in no problem at all and in just over an hour.

Yes AFAIK there isn't a Skoda hosted firmware update available, but it has originally come from somewhere within Skoda/VW Group and been made available. If you aren't having issues and are concerned about the firmware source, possibility of bricking unit etc. then better not to do it. If it ain't broke...

Edited by ahenners

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there guys, i appriciate your work on supplying us with info on updates. But unfortunately i cant find working download link, can someone pls give me working link or send me latest firmware update ?

Regards!

20 hours ago, toshyKAa said:

Ok guys, i found it myself, working and genuine. Here is a link.

https://mega.nz/#!bldgEDLa!2oLZ4DEF6Zpu6IIitpUShShkN-OuNU84YrHasKMUSqo

Well done @toshyKAa !!!

Did you install it (as apparently it is a newer version, 411 compared to 409) on a Columbus MIB1?

Would you please confirm it is working?

2 hours ago, halfmillion said:

Well done @toshyKAa !!!

Did you install it (as apparently it is a newer version, 411 compared to 409) on a Columbus MIB1?

Yup, i can confirm it is working, no problem during or after install, works like charm. It is version 411, should be lastest avaliable for Columbus MIB1.

( link to download was found on one of german forums )

WOOOOOOOW GUYS! 

My problem about no sound from columbus..........my thema - radio no sound problem 1000e repair cost and soo....

Gues what?  I have today install this firmware.....and yeeeeeaaa i have sound back!!!!

Thats so awesome! 

We have mean that the mib1 head unid is dead! 1000e new one!

Thats awesome!:o:o:o

49 minutes ago, Skodilakrs1 said:

WOOOOOOOW GUYS! 

My problem about no sound from columbus..........my thema - radio no sound problem 1000e repair cost and soo....

Gues what?  I have today install this firmware.....and yeeeeeaaa i have sound back!!!!

Thats so awesome! 

You can send me few €, for such a cheap fix :D

1 hour ago, Skodilakrs1 said:

WOOOOOOOW GUYS! 

Thats so awesome! 

Wow, surprised it was a firmware issue but glad it has resolved it :)

20 hours ago, halfmillion said:

Well done @toshyKAa !!!

I'm also running 411 though not from the source above. No issues.

Is this the version that will put up an error message when it's hooked up to this VCDS that people use? If you're just using the Columbus normally there are no errors coming up on the screen?

19 minutes ago, hatchy said:

Is this the version that will put up an error message when it's hooked up to this VCDS that people use? If you're just using the Columbus normally there are no errors coming up on the screen?

Yes afaik it works fine even though the error is logged. It's a five minute job to sort the error with VCDS or OBDEleven though.

Edited by ahenners

52 minutes ago, hatchy said:

38 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Yes afaik it works fine even though the error is logged. It's a five minute job to sort the error with VCDS or OBDEleven though.

I didnt even scan my car with VCDS, so im not sure if there is any error at all, but i can for sure tell you, that even though if that error code exist, Columbus works without any warnings/issues.

Edited by toshyKAa

16 hours ago, toshyKAa said:

I didnt even scan my car with VCDS, so im not sure if there is any error at all, but i can for sure tell you, that even though if that error code exist, Columbus works without any warnings/issues.

The error code is a warning of SVM (Software Version Management) - which tells the dealer that the firmware has been updated by someone who didn't finish the update but just installed the new firmware.

Taken from aki78's guide:

VCDS CODING

1)      5F (Infotainment) module, Adaptations, channel: 'Confirmation of installation change'

2)       Note your current coding

3)      Start Windows calculator and set it to 'Programming mode' and select 'HEX' option

4)      Calculation: (current coding) XOR C9D2

5)      Change the adaptation channel to the new (just calculated) code

6)      VCDS main screen, 'Auto-Scan'

7)      Check for fault codes (generated by the update) and clear them (software version, interrupted communication, etc.)

8)      Note that VCDS shows your code on the adaptation channel with a space ('xx xx' format).You have to remove the space before you calculate your new code. At the point you enter your new (calculated) code, insert the space again.

EXAMPLE (don't use these values):

·         '1A 1A' (original coding of the adaptation channel)

·         1A1A XOR C9D2 equals D3C8

·         Enter it as 'D3 C8' (with space) on the adaptation channel

·         If your original code starts with zero(s) just remove them before calculating (if it's 0AFB for example calculate with AFB)

• Like 1