Mudflaps on Tour de France / Outdoor

TasMan

Hi,

On all my cars previously (I am new to Skoda!) I have either fitted, or they have come with mud flaps which have always been a useful feature, IMO...

Having recently picked up our 14 plate Tour De France Estate I notice it doesn't have mudflaps, but obviously has the Outdoor bodykit.

I wondered if there was an option for mud flaps for this set up as I expect the standard mud flaps won't fit ?

Anyone fitted mudflaps to a TDF or Outdoor model ?

Many thanks
Dave

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Before buying our TDF I had done a lot of reading up on the specs/models and always did find the Outdoor / Tour de France standard specs a little odd for a car that is meant to be for 'off road' use.  4x4 and the look of the Outdoor ticked the boxes for me in buying the TDF, a lot of car for the money and very happy with it so far..!

Just spent a small fortune on a pile of bits and pieces from Superskoda while they have 25% off today :-)

no mudflaps , too pensionesque ;-)

They are not mudflaps. Ergonomic and aerodynamically optimised road detritus reduction technology - that's what they are.

Despite what has been said here, pensioners have no adverse effect on them. I've run over a few and not one has damaged them or or got caught up in them in any way. That said, I havent encountered one on a mobility scooter yet. That might be different.

• Like 1

Sadly I am 30 odd years from worrying about pension rights but I like the replies all the same...! :D

I have to say I notice that the rear window does quickly get obscured with spray/dirt so I think a set of flaps on the back would help.  I might buy a cheap pair and see how they shape up, even with a little bit of cutting it might be a possibility....   I notice a couple of folk commenting on an Octavia Scout mudflaps yesterday over on the Octavia III forum so might not be much different for the Superb Outdoor... Will report back if I get any further forward. 

• Like 1

The OEM mudflaps aren't all that effective in my opinion, they are pretty small...

$_1.JPG

Mine from last winter after a few weeks of high mileage...

IMG_6572_zpsa03e4b6f.jpg

There was a member who suffered paint damage on his Superb, whilst very unfortunate it did demonstrate how little of the rear bumper was actually protected...

sml_gallery_96219_636_54833.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_16474.jpg

More images here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/253727-rear-bumper-and-sill-paint-damage/#entry2986162

It is also worth considering that mudflaps help to collect and hold mud, salt and grit up against the paintwork, and then as they move slightly (when travelling at speed) they act as an effective Brillo pad on the paintwork...

5878171198_4b499d23ce_b.jpg

On the MkII Octavia the poor protection offered by the mudflaps and poor anti-corrosion protection on the upper sills resulted in a lot of rusty Octavia's...

2012-03-27111600.jpg

If you drive on dirty roads and cover big mileage the car will get dirty with or without mudflaps...

GpIQ8YJ.jpg

A similar discussion here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/309055-mudflaps/

Mine are effective for an appreciable reduction in cowsh1te, mud clods and gravel. My brother tells me they are noticeably friendlier to a car following behind me on the motorway (as he did).

They are not great for "dirty spray". While he found it better to follow me and my mudflaps in some dirty Irish weather, the car was just as filthy as my first girlfriend when I parked it up.

Form over function, Skoda need them to look pretty. Their actual effectivness will always be subjective.

For proper protection you have to make the car look daft  :D

IMG_8252.jpg

Here is my old vRS, I'd rather have a mucky bum than rally flaps!

SaltCorrosion1_zps805f2bf2.jpg

All that road salt stuck to the point where there are most likely to be stone chips  :sweat:

SaltCorrosion2_zps19696c34.jpg

• Like 1

One of the best things I fitted to my Superb Combi as it reduces massively the amount of road dirt on rear window...

was they difficult to fit as I've just bought a full set from superskoda and I've noticed that there are no fittings in the bag for the fronts but there are two plugs things ( for drilled holes I think ) in the bag for the rear. Thanks bob.
  • Like 1

was they difficult to fit as I've just bought a full set from superskoda and I've noticed that there are no fittings in the bag for the fronts but there are two plugs things ( for drilled holes I think ) in the bag for the rear. Thanks bob.

For the rear, remove the 3 torx screws holding the inner wheel arch to bumper then clip mudguard against the bumper top & bottom & refit the screws to hold in place. For the front, remove the 2 torx screws, clip mudguard to bumper at top, refit screws and drill a 7mm hole through the bottom mudguard hole then use the supplied lugs to attach through this hole.

• Like 2

your car will get filthy on winter roads , the low pressure behind the car will ensure all the crap is sucked up onto your car , mudflaps or no

Edited by peterposh
  • Like 2

your car will get filthy on winter roads , the low pressure behind the car will ensure all the crap is sucked up onto your car , mudflaps or no

They have made an improvement on my Merc estate and the Superb combi is a lot better with them fitted than not :nerd:

• Like 1

I put Ebay mudflaps on. The car is as dirty as before at the back from the spray on wet roads in winter and summer. There is less muck straight off the tyres on the sills though.

Skoda is for pensioners, so mudflaps do not matter.....

I put Ebay mudflaps on. The car is as dirty as before at the back from the spray on wet roads in winter and summer. There is less muck straight off the tyres on the sills though.

Skoda is for pensioners, so mudflaps do not matter.....

Lets watch this   "Pensioner" in his Skoda. :devil: 

Edited by DEL80Y
  • Like 3