DTUK Pedal Box

tried this, didnt notice any difference except  subsequently threw some errors about coding and vehicle configuration

vrs tdi 2015 

any ideas?

Only thing I can think of reading the threads for the likes of the Superb etc is it depends on the car config. If you have a setup that it recognises as Audi then it works. If there is something in the setup that Audi doesn't use then it won't work and throws errors. 

As I said above it does not work with all setups, and AFAIK if it does not work making the one change then there is not much that can make it work. Others might know more, but that is the way I see it. It is the luck of the draw if it works, a bit hit and miss but worth a try I guess?

TMWNA, Wednesday it is, the end of my Do I ~ Don't I dilemma. Does fitting this leave any footprint on the car's system? I would remove it come service time but if it flags up on their system it would be too late anyway!

My thanks to TMWNA, both for the coffee's and the test drive.

Looks like it's a Christmas present to me from me, so at least I will get one!

Took away the pull away lag, when you need to get going quickly, say on to a roundabout, also when you need to overtake there seems to be a short lag between pushing the pedal and engine catching up, then giving it it's all. Well this little box of tricks removes the lag superbly and makes the car much nicer to drive.

Looks like I will be contacting Andrew in the not to distant future, just got to sort out the insurance which needs renewing in Jan, don't think it will be with Churchkill this time!

Thanks again mate, your time and help was very much appreciated.

The 'Shed' looks great even in its 'work in progress' state!

Edited by ajw1100
  • Like 1

My thanks to TMWNA, both for the coffee's and the test drive.

Looks like it's a Christmas present to me from me, so at least I will get one!

Took away the pull away lag, when you need to get going quickly, say on to a roundabout, also when you need to overtake there seems to be a short lag between pushing the pedal and engine catching up, then giving it it's all. Well this little box of tricks removes the lag superbly and makes the car much nicer to drive.

Looks like I will be contacting Andrew in the not to distant future, just got to sort out the insurance which needs renewing in Jan, don't think it will be with Churchkill this time!

Thanks again mate, your time and help was very much appreciated.

The 'Shed' looks great even in its 'work in progress' state!

Told you it was good. I turned mine off yesterday to have a little play around. I can't believe the difference it makes. Found a really nice place to mount it as well just under the dash next to the OBD port. The led lights reflect off the pedals so you can see what mode you're in and it's easy to take it out of its cradle to change settings. Lots of people just lose the cable and the buttons in the small driver side glove box. 

Also, I'm assuming it's a declarable modification. Did it make a difference to premiums?

Not sure how it could be, as it has no impact to the power of the vehicle.

That said, it's still a mod, and they could probably screw you on it if they wanted to!

Best declare them although, no power gain so why an increase in premiums is asked for other than "cos they can" is beyond me.

Mallet mallet, can you alter the proportional value of the throttle pedal like sport mode but, it's the integral part of the throttle control which has the most effective. One of the best settings is Sport+ +1 with the car in Economy Mode is. a responsive throttle with reasonable gear change Rev ranges.

AJW1100'S only problem with his car was the throttle lag he was getting reducing his confidence to go for "that gap" at roundabouts.

The settings on the Pedal box seem to decrease the time delay by the econ, sport or sport+ setting then shorten the throttle by the +1, +2, +3 settings

• Like 1

Best declare them although, no power gain so why an increase in premiums is asked for other than "cos they can" is beyond me.

Mallet mallet, can you alter the proportional value of the throttle pedal like sport mode but, it's the integral part of the throttle control which has the most effective. One of the best settings is Sport+ +1 with the car in Economy Mode is. a responsive throttle with reasonable gear change Rev ranges.

AJW1100'S only problem with his car was the throttle lag he was getting reducing his confidence to go for "that gap" at roundabouts.

The settings on the Pedal box seem to decrease the time delay by the econ, sport or sport+ setting then shorten the throttle by the +1, +2, +3 settings

Yip, that was the main reason for wanting to try the Pedal Box, on the way down to TMWNA we got stuck on the M25 when a van broke down in the middle lane with traffic passing swiftly by on both sides, I had room in front to pull into either lane, the outside lane was nose to tail fast traffic, the inside less so. I waited for a sensible gap, indicated and put my foot down reasonably smartish, at first nothing happened, so pushed harder, while the gap was getting smaller, then the engine woke up and spun the wheels which of course did not help matters. We made it out into the traffic without scaring anyone except the Mrs and myself, praying the thing would get going. On the test drive, all those sort of problems disappeared, I pushed gently it pulled away gently, push a bit harder the engine responded in a linear fashion.

I would say it's more like the old days when your pedal was attached to a wire cable which was attached to the butterfly on your SU/Stromberg/Webber carb'. the movement at one end was immediately followed at the other end buy the same amount. Whereas my pedal seemed to be attached to a rubber band with the other end playing catch-up.

Fitting of any type of electronic gizmo is, in the eyes of Churchill, and I would assume others, a no go. I have asked them about it and written with the same result, it's a modification so would not be covered by their underwriters. I even went to the underwriters and explained what it was but still no go. I wonder if fitting better headlight bulbs would be classed as a modification...... As technically I have changed the specification.

Who are you with Mallettsmallett? If you don't mind me asking.

I contacted DTUK today and one of the insurers they suggested was Chris Knott and another LV so I will get quotes from both. As regards Pedal Box price I would suggest you contact them directly as Briskoda members could get a discount.

Edited by ajw1100

Can't remember who I'm with but I would check before I purchased. I'm sure I could go elsewhere but most insurers charge to cancel or finish early so I'd need to factor that cost in.

It just freaks me out a bit, messing about with that part of the car. I have kids, and trying to explain to my wife that it was TUV type approved is little comfort if it went wrong. Look at that bloke recently that allegedly had a cruise control malfunction on an oem car. I'd feel like I'd be inviting trouble.

Although I'd happily have a remap. Go figure.

Edited by Mallettsmallett

Seems like everyone that has one loves it. How much are they?

Free - Well I won mines in a DTUK Facebook competition!!

Only competition I have ever won in my life but well worth it.

I can confirm that LV through Chris Knott covered my diesel vRS with DTUK tuning box (not pedal box) for an increase of £50 per year, so would think they would be happy to cover the pedal box.

Swapped to a petrol vRS in February and was considering obtaining the petrol version tuning and pedal boxes, but had a small argument with a parked car  :swear: , so my insurance premiums are set to rise without adding one of these wonderful 'modifications'  :wall:

I can confirm that LV through Chris Knott covered my diesel vRS with DTUK tuning box (not pedal box) for an increase of £50 per year, so would think they would be happy to cover the pedal box.

Swapped to a petrol vRS in February and was considering obtaining the petrol version tuning and pedal boxes, but had a small argument with a parked car  :swear: , so my insurance premiums are set to rise without adding one of these wonderful 'modifications'  :wall:

Just wondering what the advantage is in going through CK and not going direct to LV?

Just wondering what the advantage is in going through CK and not going direct to LV?

CK are  brokers, so they found the best deal for me - perhaps going straight to LV would have been cheaper still, but I have not had any issues with CK in the five years I have arranged insurance through them

• 3 weeks later...

Went to LV direct, CK did not offer LV only another company that had poor reviews, odd I thought but there you go....

Did a quote with and without the Pedal Box, the difference was around £5. They (LV) classed it as an 'interior modification' I printed out the 'Chat' just in case they later change their minds!

I received my Pedal Box today but the insurance does not start until the 8th Jan, so I will just have to be a little more patient. :x  :sweat:

Edited by ajw1100
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Seriously thinking of getting the DTUK Pedal Box this week for my manual petrol mk3 vRS. Has anyone installed on a manual petrol and is it as effective as on the diesel?

I spoke with Admiral insurance today to see how it would affect the premium as I thought i should declare it in case of a worse case prang where it couldn't be removed. After having no idea what the pedal box was, they went off to their underwriters and came back to me later on. They show a pedal box as a Transmission Modification, which adds £19 to the annual premium. If it makes a positive difference to the laggy throttle response, I can cope with that!

17 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

You'll be more than happy just, don't set it too high or you'll have an on/off switch

I find red light & 1 green makes Eco Mode nice to drive !!!!

There I said it, can't take it back now

Good stuff. Just spoke with Andrew at DTUK. Giving the Pedal Box + a go! :thumbup::nod:

19 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

I find red light & 1 green makes Eco Mode nice to drive !!!!

There I said it, can't take it back now

So even a hard nut can have a soft centre :)

Edited by Gerrycan