Going on holiday, preventing theft ideas

jarmo

Hi everyone,

I'm going on holiday soon and my car will be parked on the drive for all to see. Although I live in a quiet neighbourhood I would like to safeguard against theft. I have thought about taking some fuses out like glow plugs, power steering pump, and fuel pump. Does anyone have any experience with this or other ideas? I did originally think to remove the battery but read in my trusty Haynes manual that the ECU would lose its learning and there may be central locking, window and stereo problems too.

Any ideas/help appreciated.

Cheers

Jarmo

Personally, I'd buy and fit a steering wheel cover/lock as that would be very visible and stop anyone trying to get into the car - which is what you really want, ie no damage!

Halfords? (Disklok)(sp)

Steering wheel lock?

Plain in sight, they'll see it and probably not bother. Fuses etc will not stop them trying...

Well timed!  Well I'd reckon that we both can't be wrong, so OP get going to Halfords - problem/worry solved!

• Like 1

Remove a wheel and leave it on an axle stand / bricks? Not sightly but it won't go missing so quick.

JRJG

Maybe that was just a joke, but if not next person along might think, "I'll have a bit of that as well!"

Remove a wheel and leave it on an axle stand / bricks? Not sightly but it won't go missing so quick.

JRJG

Let a tyre down. Remove the steering wheel. Park it with the drivers door right up against something like a lamp post. If you have long drives, ask a neighbour if you can park it on their drive and they block it in.

Removing the battery would kill the alarm and probably invalidate your insurance.

Alternatively, its a 10year old + Skoda, just park it and walk away, most likely it will still be there when you get back :)

• Like 1