Mac's Insignia SE - Gerhard - The Judas Carrier. Nov'16 to Mar '19. Now deceased.. as far as im concerned.

mac11irl

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

Thanks for that.

Your welcome :D

i wont lock the thread, in case anyone ever does stumble along considering one of these, or has one with any issue/symptom i may have had.

im open to offering advice on it if anyone needs a bit of help :)

Edited by mac11irl

4 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I'd stick it over the rails in the Yard Mac and ask a friendly Ballast train drive to Squash it.

It is tempting...

Just like driving it out to our compound in Marino Point, Cobh, and letting it drive itself off the pier into the sea was!

11 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Just leave that dodgy handbrake off... Job done. Splash.

So... what next?

If i can get another 100quid off (on principle at this stage..) tomorrow, itl be a 2013 mk2 octy - upgraded Elegance spec. 

• 2 weeks later...

And so, i met with my man in Cork...

Paperworks been exchanged, he has the engine out and fully stripped...

IMAG3558.thumb.jpg.532cdece15ccb0feebcde2b2492f461c.jpg

It turns out it wasnt the piston bearings. It was the main shaft bearings (3&4 left to right in the pic) so the block may actually be damaged also. 

He is sending it to a re-conditioner in Poland as they have a way of fixing the block wear and i think fit a thicker bearing ring which no-one here is doing.

The rest of the engine is in the back of a seat altea 

IMG-20190412-WA0000.thumb.jpg.82cf7742d0aee7fe173000a8b8dff499.jpg

And.. he discovered one if the rear shocks is leaking...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mac11irl said:

He is sending it to a re-conditioner in Poland as they have a way of fixing the block wear and i think fit a thicker bearing ring which no-one here is doing.

Fair play to him, but I'm really surprised that's worth doing.

Gaz

@V6TDI

Well, he is Polish, and he sends stuff over and back regularly, iften buys new parts from Poland as they are cheaper than here for identical bits. He got my Sachs/LUK clutch and DMF kit shipped for 150e less than the same kit here.

The guys there will assess the block, and if its salvageable they'll repair and return. Then he can rebuild the engine, and sell the insignia, make a few quid profit for himself.

If the block is too far gone, he'll strip the rest of the car as spares, and make a few quid that way.

He doesnt want to just buy a 2nd hand engine as he is very very particular and takes pride in what he does, so doesnt want to put an engine in it that may go the same way in 6months for a new owner who would be less than impressed. So if he if got a replacement, he would be stripping that all the way back too and refurbing, so it works out for him a lot less labour intensive.. and saves the cost of an engine..

• Like 2

He hates to see needless waste too... and a perfectly good chassis and specced car being scrapped over a ****ty engine design is waste..

Though he did have a laugh about it today, when he was showing me everything.. including where the car clearly got nervous about going up on his lift... he had it parked up over the weekend on the ground and when he came in to start stripping it out, he found a little black oily puddle by its back end..

"Look, its even ****ed itself on my floor, like a new puppy!"

one of the rear dampers had started leaking :D

it hadnt felt like there was any issue back there while driving it, though i did reckon after its next service (which was to include pulling and cleaning the throttle body/map/egr) id be looking at shocks as they're originals and 10yrs old.. so i spose at least i learned my instincts for things not being right are reasonably on the money...

Edited by mac11irl