Wireless charging Octavia 3

I have wireless charging on an Octavia 3 I'm collecting soon. As I have an iPhone 4 I have to buy a case with a built-in charging coil and 30 pin connector. I have contacted the seller of the case who could not comment as to whether it is compatible with the factory installed system. The case supplier specifies it will operate with Duracell Powermat and Travelmat.

Has anybody any experience or knowledge of the Octavia Wireless charging and/or can advise if this case will be compatible.

You can buy cheaper Qi charging plates, connect them to a USB power supply, and then hide it all under the centre console. Stick the charging plate under where you want it, and it should be fine. There are people online who have done this, have a google for ideas!

Am I right in thinking that the factory one in the Octavia requires the Phone Box option too? As such it may be trickier to retrofit the system completely as stock.

The Duracell System uses PMA charging, which is the BetaMax of the two major standards. Qi has really done quite well- with Samsung, LG, Microsoft, Sony and others all using it in phones, and companies such as Ikea, Lexus, and VW Group all putting Qi chargers in their products. You might struggle finding a case for the iPhone 4/4s, as they've not been in production for quite a while now. 

Collected the car and it has wireless charging. Obtained a POWERMAT case for Iphone 4 and tried it in the car. No charging but signal level improves! Powermat web site has App but this requires ios8 - don't think IP4 supports ios8 so why sell a case for an iphone4! Will contact Apple / Powermat or has anybody ant suggestions?

Collected the car and it has wireless charging. Obtained a POWERMAT case for Iphone 4 and tried it in the car. No charging but signal level improves! Powermat web site has App but this requires ios8 - don't think IP4 supports ios8 so why sell a case for an iphone4! Will contact Apple / Powermat or has anybody ant suggestions?

Hi,

Powermat is not compatible with QI and vice versa.  They are competing standards.  You'll need a case that is compatible with QI

QI compliant case for my iPhone 4 arrived and voila it works. Must say the design of the Powermat version is better in as much as it has a flip top (easier to remove the phone from the case) and has a mini USB charging point for charging in the case when not in the car and all for £4 rather than £8 for the Qi compliant.

The wireless charging was fitted in my pre-reg car so didn't have to make a price/value decision. Very convenient feature e.g. No leads and the media player catalogues all my albums + the phone signal is boosted. Additionally polite Mr Amundsen reminds me to take my phone with me when leaving the car.

Now to tackle putting POI's on the SatNav it looks a nightmare from what I have read. Not as simple as the TomTom!

• 2 months later...

Does the vrs mk3 come standard with wireless charging? 

Mine is a 17 plate 

Have tried my Samsung edge which support wireless charging but can't seem to get it to work in the phone box 

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 17:40, Peegee said:

I'd suggest you upgrade your phone

My pre-reg 1.4 TSI auto SEL 66 plate came with it as a fitted option, once I bought the correct case my i-phone 4 charges nicely and boosts the signal as well. £8 for the case was cheaper than upgrading to Iphone 5/6/7 ............ after all its only a phone!

It also has memory seats, adaptive cruise control and front parking sensors - nice little package of extras all thrown in.

• 1 year later...

Replaced my Iphone 4 (which worked OK although it cooked it on one occasion - suspect the cheap charger circuit) with Iphone SE. I have tried a number of wireless charging cases including a separate charger coil which you fit in the back of the case - but the charger  works intermittently or not at all. All the chargers work fine on my desk wireless charger (like a hockey puck). Asked my Skoda dealer to check it recently and he confirmed it worked OK  with a none Iphone. Will try my daughter-in-law's iphone 8 as I suspect it is the metal case of the iphone SE itself that the phone charger objects to as it comes up with a message to say its not charging and to remove any metal items in the charging tray. The iphone 8 has a ceramic back.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Iphone 8, didn't work. retried my SE and it works occasionally for a a few seconds or any random time it decides to work. Works perfectly on my "hockey puck" home charger. Suspect I have a bad connection so will remove the side trims from the centre console and wiggle the connection to the base of the tray. Might also be a bad connection in the fuse box but that involves removing the glove box! Another "Simply Clever" feature.

Fortunately the case I'm using allows me to "flip out" the receiver plug and connect a conventional cable without removing the case.

• 2 months later...

Problem with wireless charging system finally resolved, took my car in for service and asked the dealer to check the charger as it seemed to work sometimes if you pressed down hard in the corner - suspected a bad connection - technician inserted his phone and after a short period where is worked fine started to cycle between charging and not charging. He filmed it and agreed that it was a warranty issue. New charger ordered fitted and now working fine with I-phone SE and Antye wireless charging case - result. Thank you Bickerton Skoda of Sheffield for believing me!!