Extra driving lights

Lapik

Hi,

Although I'm newbe in Skoda world (10 years of Ford experience prior to my Scout), I have had some thoughts about minor modifications. As I'm driving quite a lot (in Estonian terms of course) and 75% of driving time is in the dark, it has given me lots of thoughts about fitting extra lights to my Scout. And as a coincidence, set of 32W 7" LED's are being offered with bad-ass price... 

Found a picture from net to show the rough idea:

20329046.jpg

I have no problems with mounting and connecting the lights to the relay and fuses (if I'm correct, then there should be quite few unassigned relay and fuse spaces)

But- In Estonia we need to have a chance to switch off the extra driving lamps.

For me it's even harder, as I'm the type of guy not very fond of drilling and fitting an aftermarket switch (these are all bloody ugly). Which led me to an idea:

Would it be possible to do some reprogramming and other kinds of binary code tricks to allow using regular lights switch. The car has automatic headlights (Xenon's BTW), so I would use position "DOOR" (the position, where the lights are lit depending on sunshine rate) for driving without extra headlights and "Low beam" position with extra high beams enabled.  

Is it possible?- I'm just asking this, because I'm not very familiar with VAG electronics. I'm capable of finding the connectors, opening them up, crimping contacts ect. But I have no idea, if it is possible using current hardware and if it's possible to alter the software to get desired results.

Thank You all in advance for any helpful replies :) 

If I were you, I'd be using two relays

- one triggered from a high beam feed (either headlight)

- the second triggered from the headlight switch being in the 'low beam/on' position

Wired together so that he extra lights only come on when the light switch is 'on' and the high beams are active :)

If I were you, I'd be using two relays

- one triggered from a high beam feed (either headlight)

- the second triggered from the headlight switch being in the 'low beam/on' position

Wired together so that he extra lights only come on when the light switch is 'on' and the high beams are active :)

I also have an interest in doing what Lapik wants to do. Even bought the stainless steel mounting bracket for the lamps which fits behind the number plate while in Finland recently. What we need is a wiring diagram, but also the knowledge that connecting up will not affect the canbus setup on these cars. Most Scandinavian vehicles have two and sometimes three driving lights on the front so the knowledge is out there.

You can argue that the lights "spoil the look" of a car. The Scout is a tool for getting from A to B in difficult and challenging conditions. Adding long range driving lights for Estonia or here in the Scottish Highlands is purely functional and helps us avoid hitting deer in our twilight winters. Its a very real problem here.

Most big Scandinavian supermarkets sell aftermarket brackets, lights and wiring looms,-easy to set up to work off a cockpit mounted extra switch.

What we want is to have them working in conjunction with the car's own canbus system, i.e. lighting up on activating main beam, and also a master switch deciding whether you want them to come on or not.

If you have any step by step instructions that would be gratefully received. Comments on the 'look' of the car are unhelpful.

• Like 1

Hi,

Although I'm newbe in Skoda world (10 years of Ford experience prior to my Scout), I have had some thoughts about minor modifications. As I'm driving quite a lot (in Estonian terms of course) and 75% of driving time is in the dark, it has given me lots of thoughts about fitting extra lights to my Scout. And as a coincidence, set of 32W 7" LED's are being offered with bad-ass price... 

Found a picture from net to show the rough idea:

20329046.jpg

I have no problems with mounting and connecting the lights to the relay and fuses (if I'm correct, then there should be quite few unassigned relay and fuse spaces)

But- In Estonia we need to have a chance to switch off the extra driving lamps.

For me it's even harder, as I'm the type of guy not very fond of drilling and fitting an aftermarket switch (these are all bloody ugly). Which led me to an idea:

Would it be possible to do some reprogramming and other kinds of binary code tricks to allow using regular lights switch. The car has automatic headlights (Xenon's BTW), so I would use position "DOOR" (the position, where the lights are lit depending on sunshine rate) for driving without extra headlights and "Low beam" position with extra high beams enabled.  

Is it possible?- I'm just asking this, because I'm not very familiar with VAG electronics. I'm capable of finding the connectors, opening them up, crimping contacts ect. But I have no idea, if it is possible using current hardware and if it's possible to alter the software to get desired results.

Thank You all in advance for any helpful replies :)

Lapik. check out

Hella Ralley 3003 extra lights

on this site

Can't help with the electronics, but can say that looks horrendous - don't do it!

Mike

Each to their own Mike.

I think it looks alright, along with all the guys that have commented so far.

I respect what you say 99% of the time.

If I had a scout and lived in Estonia. I'd get one of those long bright LED lightbars and put it on a roof bar. That would be badass ????

They are awesome, but sadly, probably not road-legal. Even some of the LED spots are not road-legal!

Ive been thinking the same as I work a lot in the dark. Any one know where I can get a set of lights along with the brackets and wires??

I researched this quite a lot recently, and it seems we are just not geared up for this sort of thing here in UK, unlike Scandinavia.

Check out the link I sent Lapik which is a Swedish website. As I said, all Halfords-type shops in Sweden and Finland have all the bits for conventional wiring. The link I sent Lapik has three or four further links in it which have some great gizmos for connecting via canbus. Not cheap though. Don't even think of buying anything from Norway!!

As to this 'Road Legal Stuff'.

Obviously where Spot Lights / Driving lights are required in addition to the Full Beam that is legal on your vehicle where there is nobody to be dazzled, so to see your additional lights lit.

Not blinding anyone.

No testing of Additional Lights in UK MOT's.  & plenty of us have Work Lights & Search / Hunting Lights (not lamping...) fitted which are for 'Offroad use', and sometimes in the back of beyond use, 

again obviously not when Dipped Beams are used to not dazzle other road users.

& not coming on with the Full Beam when on the Public Highway, but on a separate switch to come on when required because you are in a very very very dark place someplace darker than where every other person is, or you need to see further than others.

Edited by Offski

I researched this quite a lot recently, and it seems we are just not geared up for this sort of thing here in UK, unlike Scandinavia.

Check out the link I sent Lapik which is a Swedish website. As I said, all Halfords-type shops in Sweden and Finland have all the bits for conventional wiring. The link I sent Lapik has three or four further links in it which have some great gizmos for connecting via canbus. Not cheap though. Don't even think of buying anything from Norway!!

Cheers for the heads up. Have to wonder if it would be possible t run them off the main beam bulb plug at all?

As has been mentioned surely having them come on with main beam would be the sensible option?

Assuming they are very bright you are only going to want to turn them on when there isn't anyone else around?

BDCRM-F21583-5.jpg?1447773657

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

I had additional lights on a car years ago. I put a small rocker switch at the bottom of the dash under the steering wheel so that they could be switched off if required. I had a feed from the full beam to switch a relay so that they came on with the full beam if the under dash switch was on.

Ive added a led light bar behind the lower grille. Wired it up using a relay to a switched live and put a switch on the back of the indicator stalk.

If the relay is in the engine bay buy a water proof box for it to go in. Water proof relays aren't really water proof

Just put a set of spots on my beemer. Fairly simple on there. All working off a relay and come on with the main beam only. Wires to the relay are fused 12v straight from battery, switch, main beam feed from the cars loom and an earth.

20161216_124126_zpsy3dnlvhw.jpg

For the switch, I used a small, round illuminated rocker switch neatly installed on the centre consol by the window switches.

20161217_124217_zps6l1sqyag.jpg

Managed to get the relay into the existing fusebox and cable tied the wires to the car's loom.

20161217_124108_zpsfmdb9dqx.jpg

Hi guys.

Sorry for being quiet for so long - it has been busy with Christmas and new job. But About the switching I was more interested if it would be possible to use some free digital outputs from some expansion module and to reprogram it so that I would need to add only one extra relay for the lights. If not, I will just get a tad less powerful lights to meed the "not-so-strict" requirements and have the lit up always with main beam

The universal CAN expansion modules for main beam lights are also affordable - some 60 EUR for complete kit, but then again, I will need to find a solution for the switch. And as noted before, I'm not very fnd of after market electronic modules connected to canbus network  

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to buy a wireless controller so that you dont need to drag cables inside the car http://www.ebay.com/itm/301668946810?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

I have bought this but havent mounted it yet. 

I use the XBB-Lightswitch to take the signal from the highbeam to start the extra lights http://xbb.nu/eng 

It is possible to buy a wireless controller so that you dont need to drag cables inside the car http://www.ebay.com/itm/301668946810?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

I have bought this but havent mounted it yet. 

I use the XBB-Lightswitch to take the signal from the highbeam to start the extra lights http://xbb.nu/eng 

I would be REALLY interested for you to post details of how you complete this project when you install the wireless controller>