Where do you fill up? Supermarket fuel vs Brand name premium

Eyesee

Is there a huge difference and generally better to not use supermarket diesel? I've recently bought a 2007 L/K Octavia 2.0 140hp estate, it's a massive step up from my company car, a 1.3 Astra, which I only filled up with cheap fuel. Naturally with it being my own car I want to look after it but also my wallet...

I know there's loads of opinions of fuel from Texaco, BP, Shell vs Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury's etc but was wondering what the general consensus is?

I would use normal diesel in your car but from main fuel stations rather than supermarkets & if your car was or has been re-mapped, then I would use the super diesel from petrol stations.

I don't like supermarket fuel, even there super stuff, I try to use shell all the time, personally feel my vehicle runs better, responds better & I get better mpg with the shell v-power nitro.

Everyone will have there difference of input or call it a placebo effect but at the same time, every car is different, if your happy with supermarket fuel & you feel your car runs fine with it, then use it, if not! then use the branded fuel stations.

In every vehicle I have owned from diesel to petrol, I have always used shell fuel, be it the normal fuel or the optimax/v-power fuel.

Thanks - at the risk of going slightly off topic, my father-in-law (a taxi driver) swears by fuel additives to improve MPG and performance. Thoughts?

Always supermarket, because the only other garage (Esso) in town is almost 10P a litre more expensive, any other filling station is at least a 20 mile drive. We have no competition in Blandford, so its Tesco or Esso. People use the Esso for the odd tenner here and there, but for a full tank never.

Edited by mannyo
  • Like 1

I used to run my MKI Superb 1.9 TDi on Tesco diesel as it always gave the best mpg,

When I changed jobs and car to a MKII Superb 2.0 TDi that mainly uses Shell as it was en-route and only a penny or so dearer than Tesco, tried 3 consecutive tankfuls of their V-power(?) diesel and the only difference I noticed was in my wallet, actually thats not quite true as the mpg went down very slightly also  :notme:

Now I use ESSO almost exclusively as it’s the cheapest option for me, the only brands I will avoid are Harvest (tried it once in the MKII and the mpg was shockingly low) and Morrisons as they use too much Bio diesel in their fuel and VAG’s are not recommended to use it.

Thanks all, I've only put £20 worth in so far and that was only to get me home after buying but was wanting to give it the best fuel to keep her well maintained and get the best possible MPG.

Guessing if Sainsbury's is BP fuel then it'll be the best of both worlds if it's cheaper than going the BP garage? I've got Asda less than half a mile from me so it's trying to avoid the easy option of going there if it's going to affect MPG.

Would you guys recommend trying it on a brand name then supermarket and comparing the MPG over a month or so? Would be the only real test I can think of doing?

Guessing if Sainsbury's is BP fuel then it'll be the best of both worlds if it's cheaper than going the BP garage? I've got Asda less than half a mile from me so it's trying to avoid the easy option of going there if it's going to affect MPG.

Would you guys recommend trying it on a brand name then supermarket and comparing the MPG over a month or so? Would be the only real test I can think of doing?

That's fair, but if at all possible you want to take it to the same physical pump every time, and always fill it until the first pressure cutout, no further.

That's fair, but if at all possible you want to take it to the same physical pump every time, and always fill it until the first pressure cutout, no further.

Just read about this in the manual. Danger of overfill essentially and assuming long term damage to tank?

Just read about this in the manual. Danger of overfill essentially and assuming long term damage to tank?

Not just that in this case; it's the surest you can be that you're filling to the same level every time.

Thanks all, I've only put £20 worth in so far and that was only to get me home after buying but was wanting to give it the best fuel to keep her well maintained and get the best possible MPG.

Think I would be more interested in getting the oil and filter changed and get decent oil in any car I buy. Having decent oil in your engine is probably far more important than strictly controlled fuel.

All fuel comes in on the same boats and gets stored in the same huge tanks, it is just the additives that are added as the tankers fill, up that make a difference and then it is up to you which you prefer.

• Like 1

Think I would be more interested in getting the oil and filter changed and get decent oil in any car I buy. Having decent oil in your engine is probably far more important than strictly controlled fuel.

All fuel comes in on the same boats and gets stored in the same huge tanks, it is just the additives that are added as the tankers fill, up that make a difference and then it is up to you which you prefer.

You're right, I'll definitely do that. It's due a full service anyway as I don't think one has been done since 80k according to the service history. Currently on 102k so once payday arrives I'll treat her to a dealership service as I don't think I'd be confident enough to do it myself, and would be another stamp in the book.

• Like 1

Guest DobriKnotzGutenMorgan

Having been a past Mondeo driver of a few cars only deisel........the top two, yello or green are the only way to go...plus the mentioned higher spec oils etc. Pay a little more save a lot more in the long run.

No brainer.....trust me.

Seems as if there's no definitive answers, or at least anything proven over premium v non branded diesel. Unless anyone can suggest any hard evidence that couldn't be passed off as a placebo effect?

In the UK 'PREMIUM Diesel' is something with a higher Cetane like Shell V-Power Diesel, BP Ultimate etc.  Premium Diesels that cost more.

(In the same way that Super Unleaded petrol 97,98,99,100-102 is not the same as Unleaded 95 Octane.)

Shell Diesel or BP, Esso,  is not 'PREMIUM' it is Diesel with a Brand name.  ESSO could be supplied / produced by 'Greenergy' that supplies Tesco, & others.

Sainsburys, Morrisons, Tesco, Asda, Diesels are the same diesels.

Maybe different importers, storage and distribution centres, maybe different detergents packages if there are any in standard 'DIESEL / DERV', 

different advertising bumff,

but all meet the required energy that buyers pay tax and duty on.

http://greenergy.com

http://greenergy.com/uk/independent

http://petrolprices.com

Edited by Offski

Shell V Power for me. I reckon it will cost me an extra £160 a Year over Regular fuel, minus around £20 back in Shell fuel vouchers (triple Shell points for V Power). I can personally live with £12 a Month. For me just not having to put up with 'Diesel hands' at the pump anymore is worth the price alone  :D

Seems as if there's no definitive answers, or at least anything proven over premium v non branded diesel. Unless anyone can suggest any hard evidence that couldn't be passed off as a placebo effect?

Best thing is: for you to try a full tank of supermarket stuff & a full tank of branded super diesel (shell or BP) & see if you notice any difference in mpg, overall smoothness. responsiveness etc...As stated before, every car is different but for me, its more the feel of the responsiveness that I actually prefer, I'm not too worried about mpg on a 220bhp vrs, if I was then I definitely would be driving the wrong the car! even thou I get better mpg with the shell v-power nitro.

Try a few tanks & see how your car runs, performs & feels, then make your own conclusion.

Edited by BATVANVRS

^^^ You are talking 'Petrol' there and Super Unleaded which in the UK is 97 Ron unles Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V-power Nitro + or maybe Super Unleaded from COSTCO.

The proven benefits in the vehicles that benefit from higher octane than 95 ron is easily quantified not just in MPG but reduced emissions as VW put in a Website referring to GTI's 

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

(Odd that Skoda UK / CZ do not make something obvious in the websites for vRS Octavia / Fabia petrols.)

As to Dirty Diesels that benefit from Premium Diesels that is very easy for drivers to check MPG or smoother running, 

after all they know how where and when they drive and if they can feel or see any difference.

Edited by Offski

Firstly, thanks to all for your options. I know we all want our cars to run and perform as best they can without compromising any long term effects. My company vehicle, an Astra, sounds like a tractor compared to my newly acquired Octavia and it's been ran on only Asda special brew in the 2 years I've had it.

The Octavia sounds much quieter but I'm not sure if this is down to the refinement of Skoda vs Vauxhall Diesel engines or if the car has been ran on branded fuel.