2018 Ford F150

Ryeman

If you've got a heavy license it's a doddle

People wanted the big pickups as there was a tax screw, which meant you paid bugger all tax but got something like a King Cab and paid as if it was a small commercial vehicle. The weight precluded that from happening, so my ex boss was a little 'creative' apparently. Of course i was not aware of him doing this at the time as that was illegal. 

People wanted the big pickups as there was a tax screw, which meant you paid bugger all tax but got something like a King Cab and paid as if it was a small commercial vehicle. The weight precluded that from happening, so my ex boss was a little 'creative' apparently. Of course i was not aware of him doing this at the time as that was illegal.

I had noticed a distinct lack of them on UK roads last time there )))

here are a few snaps of some pickups we had. We did have lots of smaller ones too

This was a silly Big Doge with a 6.3 straight 6 Cummins diesel. possibly the roughest engine I've ever heard or felt that was about to explode

2002_0921_121549AA_zpspulfigff.jpg

A Lincoln and a Cadilac

2002_1124_125653AA_zpsrsdm2dbw.jpg

Cadilac Escalade EXT, which stood for extra hideoussssss. I think you could get straight out from the back of the cab into the bed! Weird 

2002_1124_125731AA_zps0aimnldp.jpg

The Legendary 380bhp F150 Lightning :)

q_zpsn8pcyuyk.jpg

The Harley version of the Lightning. It was much more palatial, obviously had a bigger can and sadly only had 340bhp. it did sound nicer than the Lightning, which the boss reckoned was because of the rear side exhausts

2002_1020_114926AA_zpseep6ao0i.jpg

Actually this bit is quite nice. It's the fitted out rear deck of a Lincoln Blackwood. The only one in the country at the time and probably still is. 

2002_1124_125935AA_zpssenn9vnh.jpg

• Like 1

Still you can press the buttons without looking. It's a bit like petting your dog, you know the head is somewhere nearby and you instinctively pat it, it's the same with the dashboard buttons. Even if you had hands like Chris Pine in the first of the reboot Star Trek films where McCoy is continually injecting Kirk to get him on board the ship (if you haven't seen the film....sorry), you could accurately operate the interior features in a USA Pick-up, or any American car of that era tbh. 

I can't help but like that F150. I think where things are unabashedly American it works, it's when they try to be European it all goes wrong.

Near my a local garage uses a Dodge Ram dually as their recovery vehicle.

I've never driven a yank pickup but I'd love a go.

That Caddy EXT is something special.

Didnt get the chance to drive it, but i was a passenger in a 2005 RAM 1500 Hemi... huge and heavy with masses of room. Easily get 4people acros i that thing

The F150 gets bigger with every generation. I've had a 2016 SuperCrew on lease for 2 months and it's too big for city work in the USA let alone the UK. It makes Range roveers and Q7s look like little hatch backs. The 4x4 F150 gains 3 or 4 inches in ride height too. In traffic you can see right over the top of those itty bitty euro 4x4s :-)

i wasn't sure if the cup holders were for your coffee or were some sort of empty Jacuzzi

Given the serving sizes of awful coffee over there, it could be either!

The F150 gets bigger with every generation. I've had a 2016 SuperCrew on lease for 2 months and it's too big for city work in the USA let alone the UK. It makes Range roveers and Q7s look like little hatch backs. The 4x4 F150 gains 3 or 4 inches in ride height too. In traffic you can see right over the top of those itty bitty euro 4x4s :-)

I've seen brochure pictures of a woman standing beside one with the door handles at her eyeline and unable to see inside without standing up on the running board.

I think the F150 looks great, sure it's not made for the UK, i doubt we'll really see these kind of vehicles here, but I think the next generation will be interesting when the market forces them to go hybrid or even all electric, if you position the batteries over the rear axle there is the potential to improve handling characteristics over the traditional 'gas' models.

They have their place where they can do the job or just for posing purposes, and if you want one you just need to splash the cash really.

Obviously there are those that might suit the UK and be more economic, but then they are rather uninspiring.

Which would you rather drive?

post-86161-0-55662900-1484228227_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-76242800-1484228241_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-87181400-1484228252_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-01780300-1484228285_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-93107400-1484228295_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-85542000-1484228306_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-00345700-1484228318_thumb.jpg

Edited by Offski

I think the F150 looks great, sure it's not made for the UK, i doubt we'll really see these kind of vehicles here, but I think the next generation will be interesting when the market forces them to go hybrid or even all electric, if you position the batteries over the rear axle there is the potential to improve handling characteristics over the traditional 'gas' models.

No load, maybe

Full, not so much perhaps

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...