Looking for Advice

Skellyweg

Hi all.

Im looking for advice on what i should prepare for an interview with Skoda. Im a young car enthusiast trying to become an apprentice car technician. 

I have no idea what to read up on or what to research and I'm looking for anything that would be helpful to me.

I'm also new to this site/forums but i think this is the appropriate thread to post on.

Thanks 

Depends who is interviewing you. Prob doesn't matter too much if you've boned up on the cars or not. Be business and customer aware. They'll probably like that.

1.First things first know your Skoda's.

2.Get upto date with what's happening at the moment with skoda around the world and on social media sites (Kodiaq especially).

3. Go buy a skoda if you haven't got one :p

1.First things first know your Skoda's.

2.Get upto date with what's happening at the moment with skoda around the world and on social media sites (Kodiaq especially).

3. Go buy a skoda if you haven't got one :p

Errrr,...........I always thought Skoda Salemen knew Jack Shi7 about skoda's  :notme:

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

Errrr,...........I always thought Skoda Salemen knew Jack Shi7 about skoda's :notme:

He's applying for Skoda technician my friend, not sales :)

Edited by LGM
  • Like 1

Main things are to dress smart, arrive on time, be polite, keep eye contact and a strong hand shake, listen to the questions and answer the question asked. Thank them for the opportunity and tell them you believe it's a good opportunity for you, don't try to come across like you know it all, they will like it if you admit it's a challenge and you are keen to learn.

From asking on here for advice you are already streets ahead of most people, I work in recruitment and as a favour for a mate have recruited some technicians for his garage. Most don't bother even turning up for interview! There is a real shortage of good technicians so salaries are rising.

• Like 3

Main things are to dress smart, arrive on time, be polite, keep eye contact and a strong hand shake, listen to the questions and answer the question asked. Thank them for the opportunity and tell them you believe it's a good opportunity for you, don't try to come across like you know it all, they will like it if you admit it's a challenge and you are keen to learn.

This ^ and you'll put yourself near the top of the shortlist. Let the guy know you're a grafter not a moaner and he'll probably throw the doors open for you.

• Like 1

Ask questions. You need to know what the job entails and what's expected of you. Knock up a list of relevant things to ask, such as overtime expectancy and rates of pay (are you expected to work overtime and what will be the benefits), possibilities of promotion within the company, training courses to improve your skills, what tools and equipment are provided and what am I expected to provide for myself, anything which you might want to know about how you're going to like the job. It's a two way thing, and they want to know about you so you should need to know about them.

Best way to look at it is to think "Will this be the right job for me?", not "Can I blag my way into a job here?"

Often, they ask questions to see how you reply to the question, not to find out if you know the answer.  So if they ask

"You have a job to do which involves using a laptop and/or computer system. Are you competent with a computer?" 

the answer "As long as the system has been explained to me and I'm trained to use it. If necessary is there a senior technician I can rely on for assistance?"

is a much better answer than "I'm sure I can manage."

• Like 1

Thanks so much People! ye Genuinely are a huge help.

I feel a little bit more relaxed with the  advice given. Im Glad i found this website.

A Great help!! If I get this position be sure to see me back on this with an Octavia vrs ;)

If anyone has any more advice please tell me its much appreciated.

The Interview is on Monday at 7pm ill let ye know how it goes. :O

• Like 2

The Interview is on Monday at 7pm ill let ye know how it goes. :o

Even if it doesn't go your way remember it's an opportunity to get noticed. I know plenty of people that weren't successful in an interview only to be phoned up a week later and offered the job or to have been recommended to someone else for another role (sometimes better) on the good impression they made.

IF it doesn't go your way it's always good to phone up and politely ask for feedback on your interview. A decent person will give you some pointers on where you could improve and indicate where you did well. Again it's about good impressions and also learning for the next one.

Good luck

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm grateful just for this interview, it has me one step closer to getting where i want to be.

I haven't been successful in the past, I had an interview with Audi for an apprenticeship with them,, and never got even a phone call to let me know whether or not i got the position.. I contacted them a few months later asking about it and i got a phone call saying there's a position there and that they'd schedule another interview for me within a few days, 2 weeks later i called asking for an update and i was told they hadn't forgotten about me theyll contact me when theyre ready, well its nearly 2 months now and ive heard nothing. I guess i wasn't very good.

Skoda seem to be a better company by far than audi, Just by going off their facebook page that is, They seem to care about the people moore. Hopefully they'll see I'm Genuine :P

Again Thanks for the help

It'll depend on the branch. But as someone said above the interview is just as much for you to suss out them. If they are treating interviewees poorly you can imagine how they treat their staff.

• Like 1

One other thing, take a notepad and a pen, and randomly make a note of something you might feel is important (like an answer to a specific question you ask) just a quick couple of seconds to write a couple of words. It can be important a few days down the line when you start to forget stuff. Don't let it impact on the flow of the interview though, just a quick jot of whatever, like if the answer to overtime pay is "time and a half", just write down "O/T 1.5".

And when you go in, just turn your phone off and as you put it down on the table quietly say "Turn that off so there's no interruptions.".

It all adds up to the overall impression you give as to how you're going to come across.

• Like 1

Its been said, but yeah. Even a bad interview is good experience and an opportunity to learn. Both in terms of your approach and also gauging the quality of the people doing the interview..

• Like 1

Its been said, but yeah. Even a bad interview is good experience and an opportunity to learn. Both in terms of your approach and also gauging the quality of the people doing the interview..

I agree with you 100%. Experience is key  :D

Hi Everyone, I think the interview went great :O I'm really pleased With it it went alot better than previous interviews But ill have to wait and see if i got the opportunity.

To everyone who gave me advice, Thank you so much you really helped me out!

Ill keep ye updated if i get the position or not :D

• Like 3

Hi Everyone, I think the interview went great :O I'm really pleased With it it went alot better than previous interviews But ill have to wait and see if i got the opportunity.

To everyone who gave me advice, Thank you so much you really helped me out!

Ill keep ye updated if i get the position or not :D

Fair play to you for letting people know how the interview went. Too often people on sites like this get the advice they need and never come back to let others know if the advice was any good.

I hope you get the job.

Edited by Edward1964
  • Like 2