Job change.

Thomson

Donald Trump has, Lol.

There's loads on tv about how he went about it...........................................Lol, again.

Sorry, guess not what you meant but couldn't resist.

Sort of.

I changed from a mechanic to hotel office work, was a huge change and difficult at first, I'm used to office work now and keep mechanics as a hobby.

Really!? Wow. That is a serious change of vocation.

JRJG

Erm, not sure if this applies or helps but I was a customer service rep for the doomed Blockbuster Video back in 2003. You could call it a career in a sense as I eventually progressed up to the role of manager on duty and had a lot of responsibility. However, I knew it wasn't for me so decided to become an Electrician. It involved a 4 and a half year apprenticeship, lots and I mean lots of hard work, being a scrub to the then fully qualified sparks and making many a brew!!

However, I've turned out alright and not to blow my own trumpet but I'd say I'm pretty darn good at what I do. Never looked back.

• Administrators

Not quite a change, but employed to self employed. Only after 4 years figuring out that this isn't what I want to do at all... 

Two quotes, the first one I used for along time in my daily choices... the second I've only recently picked up on. In short we'rea long time dead, do what you need to do, try it, but be aware of you choices.

Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end. ~ Edward Whymper

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why. ~ Mark Twain

:D

• Like 1

My dad did. Went from a machine operator in the factory to an insurance salesman.

Ended up area manager and put his pay up by about 6x.

Stress just about killed him though.

Good to hear people's stories. I would like to try and be a railway operative. Something I have wanted to do for a few years. I have worked in a warehouse for the last couple of years and before that I worked in the building trade for over ten years. Still just over 30.

Depending on what "type" of railway Op you'd like to be theres manys a different career available..

indoor, outdoor, underground... nights, days.. on the train, on the tracks, in the signal cabins, on the platforms, in the stations...

I've spent about 95% of my working life on the Railways,

Started off as a Plate Layer on track maintenance, track walker ( bet i've walked hundred and hundred of miles ), Then I became a conductor on the trains and then progressed to a Train Driver. I have 34 years service on the Railways and 33 of those years have been at one depot.

Not bad eh!

• Like 1

Depending on what "type" of railway Op you'd like to be theres manys a different career available..

indoor, outdoor, underground... nights, days.. on the train, on the tracks, in the signal cabins, on the platforms, in the stations...

..........and in BR days in the Pub    :beer:

• Like 1

I am a qualified teacher. Yet I discovered fairly early on that I didn't get on with it. So now I earn more money and drive buses.

It's worked out well for me. If you think you'll be happier by all means pursue your goal. :-D

Done it a few times:

Civil servant to sales rep to sales manager to car delivery driver to self employed shop keeper to railway signalman.

I've just applied to be a signalman, can you elaborate on what it's like?

I used to be a consultant on air quality, I'm now in recruitment, and am now thinking of changing again!

I am a qualified teacher. Yet I discovered fairly early on that I didn't get on with it. So now I earn more money and drive buses.

It's worked out well for me. If you think you'll be happier by all means pursue your goal. :-D

I met someone who went the other way. He was a prison guard that became a computing teacher.

Previous experience actually worked out well for him.

• Like 2

I used to be a consultant on air quality, I'm now in recruitment, and am now thinking of changing again!

Where have you applied to? PM me if you want.

I started out as admin office work in local borough council, then got moved into printing and graphics (did ten years in print and graphic design) then the last year in IT at the council due to mergers. Decided with budget cuts it was time to move on to the police, currently have six years service as a armed response officer. I'd go back to office work tomorrow though. I feel I miss so much time with my wife and child working 12hour shifts.

1973, as an accountant, I'd just moved here but not found a 'proper' job.

Decided to have 2 years break and did the season fitting Formula One tyres with Goodyear.

End of season, worked as delivery driver for local animal feed company for next 18 months.

Getting back to my former life wasn't straightforward - they looked at me as if I had two heads and had spent the last two years at Her Majesty's Leisure for embezzlement!

On the tracks working outside. As a track maintenance operative. I enjoy working outdoors and in different places from day to day. Not bothered about shifts or night shifts. It's something ave never done but would love to do.

On the tracks working outside. As a track maintenance operative. I enjoy working outdoors and in different places from day to day. Not bothered about shifts or night shifts. It's something ave never done but would love to do.

If youve never done nights, its a biiig change that doesnt actually suit everyone. Esp when coupled to crappy weather in winter and being outdoors in it. Some guys end up nearly continuously down with every ailment that passes their way due to the change.

Just a tip in advance that its something worth bearing in mind when nights get offered ;)

My grandad was a signalman for 22 years at Hereford tram inn, Pandy and other places he loved it

I've gone from IT to running a domestic ventilation company with my Dad.

Best thing I ever did - left due to impending redundancy, Dad said go in with him to tide me over, and now I'm running the day-to-day of the online sales company and technical help for both the online and installation side!

Crazy hard to start with, by as my knowledge grew I began to really enjoy it. A year on, I could't be happier with how things have turned out. We turned over our first million just after Christmas!

• Like 1