2010 superb not heating past 70 degrees

brimac

Hi

My superb does not heat past 70 degree and take almost 25 mins to get to there.

It spent some yime in spain. Would thete be a different thermostat in it for warm climate ? its a pain. 

2.0 170bhp dsg. Please help

Perfectly normal at this time of year.

Diesel engines are very thermally efficient. The heating system is pulling more heat out of the cooling system than the engine is producing.

My 2011 CR140 can take a good 15 miles to get to 90 degrees when it is close to freezing outside.

You should also notice that the RPM is occasionally increased to 1,000 RPM at idle, this is the car trying to generate more heat to warm the cabin quicker.

What speeds are you doing over the 25 minutes? Anything less than 40mph might mean the car never gets up to temperature during the winter months.

It does sound like thermostat, unless the car was originally delivered new in Spain it should have normal northern European thermostats fitted. You will note I used the plural. Some cars now have as many as three or four thermostats so it would be best to check in with an expert as to how many there are and their locations in the Superb and then test them individually.

On 24.1.2017. at 13:29, chimaera said:

There would be no difference between markets for the thermostat - it's designed to maintain engine coolant temperature at around 90 *C.

I'm not so sure about that. I've heard that there are differences. Southern countries have different ones compared to Nordic countries (like 80 degrees against 95 or so). It doesn't mean that you've got the wrong one, though.

On 25.1.2017. at 21:06, silver1011 said:

Perfectly normal at this time of year.

Diesel engines are very thermally efficient. The heating system is pulling more heat out of the cooling system than the engine is producing.

May I ask, what is the temperature outside in the area you live? As far as I know, temperature in UK usually isn't -10 or -20. At some -2 or so it shouldn't take 25 minutes...

I remember a time when I had to drive quite a lot (like a one hour or so) to reach 90s but it was in -20 or so. If I had internal heating turned off, then it could warm up sooner but as the car was rather cold, well, it took some time :)

Its impossible to make a call either way without having more information.

Have you had this car through the UK winter before and know how it behaves in the cold? Because 25 minutes through a town at slow speed with the heaters on may not be enough to get the engine up to temperature at around 5C ambient (I did a similar drive today and mine hadn't reached 90 on the dash, which is more like an actual 70-75C anyway)

If its motorway driving however it should warm up pretty quickly.

Does the temp stay at 90C once it gets there?(with the exception of being stationary for a long period with the heaters on)  If it does then the thermostat is probably in reasonable condition but it could have gotten lazy and be slow at closing/not closing fully.

Edited by SuperbTWM

30 minutes ago, Jevpls said:

[...]

I remember a time when I had to drive quite a lot (like a one hour or so) to reach 90s but it was in -20 or so. [...]

Then you should've covered half of the radiator - piece of cardboard would be enough :)

23 minutes ago, jafo said:

Then you should've covered half of the radiator - piece of cardboard would be enough :)

If it happened every day then I would think about that but if it's once in a while - whatever :)

But your comment might be connected to a comment above - about driving on a motorway. Yeah, it might produce more heat but it also happens on a high speed and cools down the engine.

29 minutes ago, Jevpls said:

Yeah, it might produce more heat but it also happens on a high speed and cools down the engine.

High speed has a cooling effect of the engine bay but if the thermostat does its job correctly it shouldn't matter if you are travelling the speed of sound as no water should flow through the radiator.

4 hours ago, Jevpls said:

I'm not so sure about that. I've heard that there are differences. Southern countries have different ones compared to Nordic countries (like 80 degrees against 95 or so). It doesn't mean that you've got the wrong one, though.

I just did some digging in the parts catalogues. There are two different thermostats available, but it's a VIN split rather than different versions for different markets. There was a change from September 2009 to a thermostat with a lower opening temperature (87 *C instead of 95).

Given the function of the thermostat (keeping the coolant within the engine until it reaches operating temperature) it doesn't make much sense that there would be different thermostats for different climates. The engine must operate at that temperature regardless of what's happening beyond it. What I could see being different is the hardware beyond the thermostat (radiator, fans, etc).

As an aside, if you want to get an accurate read on your engine's internal temperature, turn on the oil temperature readout on the MFD.

13 minutes ago, chimaera said:

I just did some digging in the parts catalogues. There are two different thermostats available, but it's a VIN split rather than different versions for different markets. There was a change from September 2009 to a thermostat with a lower opening temperature (87 *C instead of 95).

Given the function of the thermostat (keeping the coolant within the engine until it reaches operating temperature) it doesn't make much sense that there would be different thermostats for different climates. The engine must operate at that temperature regardless of what's happening beyond it. What I could see being different is the hardware beyond the thermostat (radiator, fans, etc).

As an aside, if you want to get an accurate read on your engine's internal temperature, turn on the oil temperature readout on the MFD.

95C doesn't sound right to me, you sure that's not for the petrol model?

anyway it doesn't help us in this case

Edited by SuperbTWM