Superb MY18 news - when?

16 minutes ago, kriva said:

True that :) Although I like the Sportline (a lot), I find the extra cost too much when compared to a "lower tier" package.

It is expensive(the most expensive package in my country) but it will hold most resale value,and it just isn't ordinary superb (in my humble opinion).

Having read a few posts about 6 months+ delivery times, although not in UK, was a little worried. So thought I would give an update on mine.....

I ordered Superb Estate L&K 220TSI DSG believe order actually went through on either 1st or 3rd of April, Black Magic with Black leather and non-anthracite 18" Pegasus Alloys, with Towbar, Crew Protection, Paddles, BT+ Wireless Phone Charging, SLA, TSR, Rear Camera (for the wife, she doesn't like driving big cars), heated nozzles (hope they have updated these to the fan ones), media command, variable boot floor & spare wheel.

So no sunroof, vented seats or premium WLAN. Dealer just got my build date as wk23 so week beginning 5th June, guessing delivery about 3 or 4 weeks after that. Would like massage function (£150), but not really interested in Ventilated seats at £425. Use a mobility scooter (and messy kids) so probably going to get a full boot liner from www.boot-buddy.com to keep everything nice and clean.

Interesting the difference in lead times.  I ordered a Superb Sportline Estate 220TSI DSG about the same time as you, order I think went through on the 3rd of April.  According to my dealer the car was supposed to have been built last week (week 19), so hopefully not long to wait now. 

Although of course now missed out on the MY18 changes, but hey ho can't have it all.

Got email today (after prompting dealer obviously!). Car ordered end March and build week 21 (w/c 22 May) is confirmed.  Dealer should have it by 19th/20th June available for collection end of that week. That's 13weeka from order to delivery all going well.  Missed MY18 by 1 week. Can't make my mind up if bothered ot not as new touchscreen looks nice but will be a finger mark magnet. Car ordered is SEL est 2.0 tdi dsg jessy front sensors, spare wheel, pegasus 18inch 

Just had confirmation email today that my car has been built and should be winging its way over very shortly, so running ahead of the original estimate from dealer.

@AandOsDad I was also debating whether I was bothered about missing out on the MY18 changes, in particular the new Columbus unit, but I do prefer actual physical buttons and twisty dials to the all touchscreen approach, so not too concerned.  Although the increase in screen size would have been nice.

@Neil201 yip same opinion really. I prefer the new style gear knob on the dsg but the jury is out on the new display. On balance, because it's new, I'd probably prefer the MY18 stuff no matter what but in practical terms I think the MY17 setup might be preferable. I did notice that the new style screen seems only to have "buttons" (capacitive touch buttons that is) on the left side. So it's not just a straight replacement like for like physical buttons replaced with touch screen buttons.  That might be get a bit annoying on the new 9.2 inch screen as the driver will need to reach the far side of the screen for all the quick buttons. A small thing but I know that touch screens on the move aren't always great anyway (hence option to use physical buttons and knobs is always good) so all not lost as MY17 still a good setup.

Just as an aside i note that audi don't do a touch screen preferring to stick to the centre console knob and button setup. I think they call it MMI or something similar.

Sometimes I think technology is added/updated just for technology sake because its the latest fad.  As you say touchscreens on the move are a bad thing, can't understand why most car manufacturers are going down this route.

And yes Audi's MMI system would have been preferable, but I suppose they have to keep some of the good stuff back to keep the more premium feel.

All in all don't think missing out on the MY18 changes is going to bother me too much, at least I'm going to keep telling myself that :)

Finally a Skoda with Active Info Display. This is the new Karoq.

A must for a modern car in 2017.

So, when do we see this and more new stuff in Superb.. In 1 year maybe?

5_SKODA_KAROQ.jpg

Edited by driverhs

I personaly hate digital gauge clusters. Somehow it is soulless,just a flat screen when car is turned off. I like analog ones,they look way classier in my opinion. And to be honest,board computer offers more than plenty of info. The only digital cluster that i like is virtual cocpit in new audi tt,because it is so well integrated in the interior(it is the only screen in the car,and it can show maps etc.). But in cars that have seperate sat nav screens,for me virtual looks rather flat and even cheap.

• Like 2

Regarding the Karoq "Active Info Display" - I think when driving it is not easy to distinguish between "Parking" and "Routes". nor "Weather" and "Download" because one can only afford a fraction of a second looking away from the road. For the same reason it is not clear at a glance what "News", "POIs", "Petrol Stations" or "Online dests" really are. One has to rely on the tiny icon in the top right corner. 

Much better large clear, simple (coloured) icons with a concise label. The fact that the screen resolution is high enough for pictures is not justification alone for spoiling the ergonomics. What modern aircraft cockpit has replaced clear icons for little pictures? Answer: none!  And decisions on today's busy roads have to be made faster than on many flights.

For this reason I prefer the Columbus' rotating card deck symbology. They could IMHO additionally be coloured for additional identification. Eg. DCC Sport magenta (curvy road), Comfort white (cloud), Eco green (leaf), Normal blue (straight road) ... 

Colours in aviation have quite intuitive meanings (blue green white magenta information, yellow caution, amber warning, red danger/stop). There are many works on ergonomics and colours in human factors. As a general rule, the number of colours should be kept to a minimum (eg. 4 for casual users, 7 for trained users) With increasing number of colors, the size of color coded objects should be increased and use colour codes consistently with the same meaning on each screen

... and so-on. 

• Like 2

@fiki Totally agree on the clusters, call me old fashioned but I much prefer analogue gauges.  The digital/virtual cockpit has obvious advantages and is safer I'm sure, displaying all that information more in the line of sight.  But would personally still rather have analogue.

Unfortunately I think it won't be long before all cars have a digital dash/cockpit as it must be cheaper and more cost effective that analogue. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SwissRob said:

Regarding the Karoq "Active Info Display" - I think when driving it is not easy to distinguish between "Parking" and "Routes". nor "Weather" ...

Active Info Display, aka digital dashboard, is this one on the left :-)

karoq06.jpg?itok=FsgdVfwu

Passat:

active%20info%20display.jpg

1 hour ago, driverhs said:

Active Info Display, aka digital dashboard, is this one on the left :-)

Ooops! My mistake! I have only started looking at car brochures again early this year
since I will be replacing my 18-year old Ford (<100 000km!) with a new Superb.

My ex-wife wouldn't let me buy a new car - the last new one I had (BMW 525i E34) was in 1986! 

All the best, Rob

10 hours ago, fiki said:

I like analog ones,they look way classier in my opinion.

But in cars that have seperate sat nav screens,for me virtual looks rather flat and even cheap.

I agree, but I am old (-fashioned)! 

;)

• Like 1

I do like the digital gauges, on the condition that some thinking has gone in to them, and they're not just there to show off. If they have been thought out well, they really can contribute to both the driving experience and safety, in my opinion.

on the other hand, I'm extremely pleased Škoda didn't go ahead with the revised gear knob...

16 hours ago, Neil201 said:

Just had confirmation email today that my car has been built and should be winging its way over very shortly, so running ahead of the original estimate from dealer.

@AandOsDad I was also debating whether I was bothered about missing out on the MY18 changes, in particular the new Columbus unit, but I do prefer actual physical buttons and twisty dials to the all touchscreen approach, so not too concerned.  Although the increase in screen size would have been nice.

I had a Sportline 150 DSG on order and found out by accident that because it would be a MY18 when built, the CO2 emmisions would jump two levels on my company car tax. A bit naughty I thought and am sure it would catch a few people out. You order the car thinking you know the spec and they make changes like that.

As a result, I cancelled the order and have managed to find a similarly specced car already in the system. Gained the Moon White, heated seats and rear wiper which I wasn't going to order but lost the OE tow bar which I really wanted. Never mind, the good news is that I am just waiting for it to be shipped now so should see it in 2-3 weeks. 

How long does it usually take for a car to be built? I ordered in last days of april,so i am worried will i get the update. And what exactly are changes,there is a new radio,new gear knob,some different trim around climate control and what else?

i know what you all mean with the new 9.2" finger print magnet screen, but I cant see me having anything other as mine has not even had status 20 yet. I will be on the hunt for something similar to what they use on mobiles these day to cut down/prevent it becoming a finger print magnet even if I have to cut it to size. Failing that theres always a microfiber cloth after every journey B)

I test drove the Passat sport with the virtual dash before ordering the Superb and was not sure on it but suppose we will all have to accept it a few years down the line.......it would have been every boy racers dreams in the 70s and 80s lol

1 minute ago, kezwald said:

mine has not even had status 20 yet

Hi Kez - where do you see "Status 20"?  How do you know this? 

Please put us out of our misery! :o

1 minute ago, SwissRob said:

Hi Kez - where do you see "Status 20"?  How do you know this? 

Please put us out of our misery! :o

My dealer told me yesterday so maybe worth asking yours

10 minutes ago, fiki said:

How long does it usually take for a car to be built? I ordered in last days of april,so i am worried will i get the update. And what exactly are changes,there is a new radio,new gear knob,some different trim around climate control and what else?

@fiki for how long it takes I'm guessing its dependent on a lot of factors, like optional extras, colour chosen etc. but for me it was built in the 5th week after order was placed.

18 minutes ago, fiki said:

what exactly are changes,there is a new radio,new gear knob,some different trim around climate control and what else?

Id be interested in this as well I know about 9.2 display and the knob on the DSG but whats this different trim about any pics please

17 hours ago, AandOsDad said:

I did notice that the new style screen seems only to have "buttons" (capacitive touch buttons that is) on the left side.

Designed probably for LHD vehicles imo so unfortunate for us with RHD vehicles