Daylight Running Lights and EGR - Skoda Superb Ambition 1.6 Greenline June 2013

Hi, I have a question re Daylight Running Lights (DRL) and EGR on a Skoda Superb Ambition 1.6 Greenline from June 2013 with 71,000KM. I had the Glow Plug Warning sign come up on the dashboard recently. I had taken the car out of the garage into the street on a very cold morning around -1ºc, had driven around 15km and the Glow Plug Warning light came on and automatically slowed the car down. It was the first time in this car, or any other, so called Skoda who suggested I turn off the car, restart it and get to the nearest dealer to run a diagnostic as the warning sign can mean different problems. I restarted the car and the sign went away and went directly to the nearest dealer. As they were busy I booked in for a few days time and was told that I could continue driving just that I could get the sign again slowing the car so as not to cause damage. In the meantime, the weather continued cold and every morning for 3-4 days the sign came up about 20 minutes into the drive and usually when I passed over dips in the road without braking.

In the meantime, a local garage was recommended as the Skoda dealer was over 50km away so I popped in for them do diagnose. They connected their PC with a cable to a slot under the drivers knee area and found an error message for the EGR. They cleared the fault and suggested the part could need cleaning or replacement but to try a few long runs with the car as they had found that a lot of short runs led to the EGR getting clogged up and if the Glow Plug Warning sign came up again that they could try cleaning before replacing anything. After paying the €30 for the 15 minutes, expensive I thought for here in Portugal at a local garage, I got them to remove the cable and happened to notice my DRLs were on during the test and also when the cable was pulled out, this was as expected as the DRLs were selected on the dasboard and the key ignition was on during test (motor not running).

Later in the day I went out at night and thought the lights were a bit dim, got out the car and found that the headlights were on, as expected for the Auto setting inside the car, but only 1 of the DRLs were on where as normally both would be on together with the headlights. I switched the car off, turned off the DRLs on the dashboard and then turned them on again and now found that only the headlights came on and no DRLs.

I tested things out in my garage and found that the DRLs now only turn on when all other lights are off. Having read the manual in detail and having done a few internet and you tube searches it looks like the car is doing what its supposed to, however, I'm sure my DRLs were always on during the day and on when in Auto at night. Any thoughts? Its not a problem its just that I paid €30, got guidance on one issue which I'll test in the next few days but I am worried about having got a non Skoda diagnostic cable attached to the car which may have affected the settings I had.

Also, any thoughts on the Glow Plug Warning Sign? the garage only had an error message for the EGR, no mention of a faulty glow plug. The weather has got better and the sign did not appear this morning. I wonder if the long run in the car will help the EGR? or any suggestions on why the Glow Plug Sign would appear based on the summary above ?

Sorry to be a pain, but a bit lost with cars and don't want to be ripped off on the EGR and from my searches on this site these things can prove pricey.

Thank you in advance

Edited by Francisco

Are you confusing the DRL's and cornering fog lights?

When the dipped headlights are on and you turn the steering wheel or turn on the indicators the fog light for that same side will fade on and fade off when the steering wheel is straightened or the indicator is turned off (the cornering fog light only work at speeds under 40kph).

Both front fog lights come on when reverse gear is selected.

Not a Superb but they work in the exact same way...

Image result for skoda superb drl

Thanks for explanation. I thought I might be mixing up with the fog lights but I really do think the DRLs were on when I had the dipped headlights on. As I mentioned, the car is doing all as per the manual in relation to lights, so no complaints there, but I have a feeling that maybe Skoda changed something in the software before I purchased in order to maintain the DRLs on and having plugged in a non Skoda diagnostic cable/software to work out why the Glow Plug sign was coming on has somehow changed or deleted the settings?  Funny that I'm also finding the the tightness between the gear box and engine seems to have slackened which I noticed on my first ever revision of the car and was improved with a software update however I wonder if this is as a result of the EGR? As the weather has heated up the Glow Plug sign has not come on again.

I think I may take it to Skoda and get a full diagnostic and see where I get from there. Its not under warranty as I think the standard cover is only 3 years but what with their emission problems they may be generous !

21 hours ago, Francisco said:

I really do think the DRLs were on when I had the dipped headlights on.

You really shouldn't have... That's neither factory nor even road legal behaviour.

The DRL should turn off when either the sidelights or dipped beam are on as they will cause glare to other drivers at night :)